Wiki Posts
Search

high-end hotels usually disappointing?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 10:00 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by mmff
A million times this. I'd just add that in my idea of heaven there is no carpeting on the floor.
No carpeting on the floor BUT good soundproofing. There's no excuse for any business hotel to have poor soundproofing these days - not just from room to room, but out to the corridor, too (this is often a weak point).

I've stayed in far too many hotels with solid flooring where the guests above sound like a herd of elephants.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by emma69
I want and like sterile and dull at that price point, my idea of heaven is a completely sterile room, crisp white bed linen, no fancy throw pillows / bed spread. I want gleaming glass, chrome etc. in the bathroom, no homely touches. I want lots and lots of white towels. I really don't want nor care for local "touches" in the room - I don't need my hotel room to be "authentic" to the location, I want it to be as if I was anywhere or nowhere in the world. I will take a nice view, sure, but when I close the curtain (black out blinds) I want the room sterile, quiet and dull!
I'd be careful about calling that "sterile". The sense of that word as many of us would apply it to a hotel room is synonymous with uninspiring and lifeless. At luxury price points I expect a room to have style. Obviously certain bits of style are widely undesirable. How many of us really want a cheap shag carpet from circa 1975? But there are many bits of style that are timeless. These include high quality materials, elegant design, and robust function. Within these parameters I don't care, for example, if the floor is carpeted, tiled, or wood, or whether the shower is trimmed in granite, travertine, or glass tile. All can be luxurious, if done properly.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:23 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
I think when it comes to American supposed 5star properties versus privately owned or the small luxury chains, the American chains usually are very often, way off the mark. I think in Asia, all the hotels realize that the competition is high, so every hotel tries hard to please. I think JW Marriotts and Conrads are often a bit sloppy compared to Hyatt and Intercontinental. In Asia and Europe, I have stayed in so many private hotels that were excellent. So, I don't shy away from private hotels as always earning or using points to me isn't my objective. Staying in a nice place that may only cost $100-200 may be the better deal than using a chain hotel.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:43 pm

I love staying at high end hotels without paying the high end prices. Now at high end hotels you pay for extras like breakfast I am one not to. I will find local places to eat at. Also I book my high end hotel on Hotwire and still get a good room by putting in my request into a polite e-mail.

With the savings I don't feel guilty buying a drink here and there. Now if I had to pay $300 for a room thats blah or if I paid $500 per night for an awesome room I would splurge for the extra $$$ but why would you pay so much when you can get a discount on Hotwire. Yes you may not get the upgrade but you will at least have a nice room.

Some of the high end hotels charge a resort fee. Yea its crazy but heck if I pay $13 a night for a crappy hotel or resort then its doomsday(:.

Or what I like to do is find out a place where my dollar can go as far as possible and get a nice hotel.

I am one not to spend the rack rate in the USA but abroad like in Thailand then I will put in my money and get some cool hotel.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: onepass
JUST TO LET YOU KNOW THAT EVEN THE MOST EXPENSIVE HOTEL IN TOWN MAY NOT MEASURE UP TO "HIGH END" sorry about the caps lock. i flew to Pagadian city in Zamboaga del Norte in the southmost large island of the Philippines. i visited my travel agent (it was 1985) was laughing at me as she told me that i was booked at the most expensive hotel in town. called me a big spender paying 50 cents a night. luckily i never checked in as the mayor of the little town i was going to as my final destination met me at the airport saying he could not have an American staying in a hotel. i was driven to his house where i was put into a room. i did notice army personnel toting m16 rifles were guarding the house. people there came to visit me as they had "never seen an American" interesting trip indeed. could tell you a lot of things but you'd get bored.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Mostly, yes.

Seems the most expensive spots can't even provide internet. I'm a pretty avid Hyatt user and honestly Hyatt Place is their best property. A quality breakfast, free internet and the same bedding/cleanliness of a Regency. I spend LESS per night and don't get forced into valet and buying internet.
Old May 11, 2016, 3:03 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Most of my stays are leisure stays. I usually stay in mids-scale hotels (Courtyard, HGI, Hampton Inn, ....) What I'm looking for in a hotel is mostly a place to sleep. I prefer to make all other arrangements myself. I do think that some good experiences could probably convince me to change my mind but we're not there yet.
I just don't see the need for the extras that come with Full Service hotels.
Restaurant: Hotel restaurant prices are usually higher and I prefer the atmosphere of non-hotel restaurant. Usually it's more busy and I prefer it like that.
Concierge:From the few times I used a concierge to point me to a restaurant we ended up in a fancy place where the atmosphere and the prices were in line with the hotel but the quality of the food was mediocre.
When it comes to booking show tickets I prefer to book myself so I can choose good seats.
Fitness, Swimming pool, Lounge are things we hardly ever use.

I can think of one situation that occured already twice and where I would love if the hotel proactively took the lead. It's where the airline has lost your bags and they will be delivered late. Maybe a high-end hotel is better in these situations.

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
These days where you can google for everything on your smartphone, the need for a lot of that service is eliminated, especially for me.
Totally agree. I prefer to read suggestions about restaurants and attractions online. That way you get input from thousands of people and not just one.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have yet to find an app that can replace a good concierge. One who listens to your interests/wishes, makes recommendations based on personal experiences, and then makes it happen using his connections. I'm not talking about slipping the guy in Vegas $50 for getting you into a steakhouse, or anything as vulgar as that, btw.
I wonder what kind of requests you can make to a concierge. Probably I lack imagination but except for restaurants, nightlife and maybe some shopping tips I wouldn't know what to ask...

Originally Posted by TomBrady
Personally, I would prefer a Nice full service marriott where im treated well, than a Uber Luxury hotel, where because of my income I am not the top dog. But it all depends on the service level, not specifically the hotel.
I agree. Despite the fact that a hotel should treat all customers equally I always prefer to ensure that I would not be one of their bottom 10% of their customers.
As an example of how it shouldn't be done: I once booked a restaurant (1 Michelin star) during a promotion period where they offered a fixed menu at a reduced rate.
The food was OK but I was completely turned away by their uninterested service and the table top sign that read " Due to the fact that you take part in our promotion we cannot offer you the quality of service you would normally receive in our restaurant. Thanks for your understanding."
Old May 11, 2016, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The value of a top-notch concierge (example member of L'Clefs d Or) is not so much in making suggestions, it is in accomplishing the near impossible.

One example is that some restaurants are moving to a prepaid ticket system, making it near-impossible for a visitor to get in.

A concierge worth his-her salt will cultivate sources to get the guest in.
Old May 11, 2016, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by kcaluwae
the table top sign that read " Due to the fact that you take part in our promotion we cannot offer you the quality of service you would normally receive in our restaurant. Thanks for your understanding."
For future reference, what restaurant was this?
Old May 11, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Mostly, yes.

Seems the most expensive spots can't even provide internet. I'm a pretty avid Hyatt user and honestly Hyatt Place is their best property. A quality breakfast, free internet and the same bedding/cleanliness of a Regency. I spend LESS per night and don't get forced into valet and buying internet.
One of my biggest travel pet peeves is that high end hotels charge for internet. Yet you get free internet at every midrange and lower hotel. If I am paying more for a hotel, I expect it to include some basic amenities.

Generally I am not underwhelmed by higher end hotels and when my employer is paying, I enjoy the plush of a Fairmont or Four Seasons. If I am paying, I prefer to save my money for nice dining or experiences. We're big Courtyard fans and usually search those out, or something similar.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
As an example of how it shouldn't be done: I once booked a restaurant (1 Michelin star) during a promotion period where they offered a fixed menu at a reduced rate.
The food was OK but I was completely turned away by their uninterested service and the table top sign that read " Due to the fact that you take part in our promotion we cannot offer you the quality of service you would normally receive in our restaurant. Thanks for your understanding."
Wow. Just wow.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:14 am
Original Poster

I agree. Despite the fact that a hotel should treat all customers equally I always prefer to ensure that I would not be one of their bottom 10% of their customers.
Compare that to Qwkynuf's experience at FS Seattle (post #18).
Old May 12, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
As an example of how it shouldn't be done: I once booked a restaurant (1 Michelin star) during a promotion period where they offered a fixed menu at a reduced rate. The food was OK but I was completely turned away by their uninterested service and the table top sign that read " Due to the fact that you take part in our promotion we cannot offer you the quality of service you would normally receive in our restaurant. Thanks for your understanding."
I have split opinions on this. On the one hand, this restaurant is doing what many do: offering a different level of service, set of prices, and ambiance during slower times. It's like there are two restaurants sharing the building, and you get one or the other depending on when you go. The difference is that most restaurants don't put out a table tent telling you this. So on the one hand this restaurant is doing you a favor by telling you outright what other restaurants do and hope you won't notice.

On the other hand, it's seems like they're rubbing your nose in it. The wording on the table tent implies that it's your fault you won't receive the level of service they're reputed for (a Michelin star!). And regardless of wording, whenever there's a sign like it provides cover for the entire staff to excuse poor service. They don't even have to try. You complain? They just point to the sign. Bad form.
Old May 13, 2016, 6:20 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by mmff
For future reference, what restaurant was this?
This was the place:http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Res...l-209198-41102

Hofke Van Bazel (Belgium)
Old May 13, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Mostly, yes.

Yeah, this kills me. Stay at the Quality Inn out by the interstate and you get free internet that works and free parking. Some high ender in Miami Beach? Pay for spotty WiFi or use your 4G that usually works better anyway. Pay a ransom + tips for valet parking and then don't even have access to the car if you accidentally leave something in it while the guys are hustling you to get moving while you are unloading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.