Do you know more travel tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Turn on your sarcasm detector.
Aww...let 'em play a bit more...
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:30 am
Suspended

1: Book Early. Prices don't go down closer to departure, they go up.

2: Book your seats. Second nature to FF'ers, but infrequent travelers still mistakenly think there is a logic airlines use when THEY pick your seat.

3: Avoid every line you can. Print BP at home, never check bags, get taxi's at the departures level instead of the arrivals level, board early.

4: Be careful about what you eat and drink, even in your own country. Bring immodium and laxatives.

5: Never trust any strangers that approach you, especially if they want to show you around, take you out for a drink, etc. You pick who you interact with.

6: Photocopy your passport, in case you lose your actual passport.

7: Travel on light days..mid week, later flights.

8: If you can get to a city's smaller airports, use those. Less crowds, easier access etc.

9: Don't fly WN. EVER

10: Remember that whatever you eat on the day of, or the day before, a long flight is what you will be dealing with DURING the flight. Eat light, and safe.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
1: Book Early. Prices don't go down closer to departure, they go up.
True for airfares, but not always the case for hotels and rental cars. I usually book something to guarantee I have it, but keep checking right up until departure for a better price. Of course, this is dependent on location and demand. YMMV
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:00 pm

. . . . never check bags.
Quite the opposite. Get the airline to carry as much as possible so you don't have to.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold

Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by oenophilist
Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.
Inconceivable
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by blitzen
Inconceivable
Attached Images  
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ft101
Quite the opposite. Get the airline to carry as much as possible so you don't have to.
+1
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ft101
But then you have more lines and have to go to bag claim. A big time waster, especially on frequent domestic biz trips.

What's more, in the event of a missed connection or lost bags, you can end up without a change of clothes for a few days. Having it with you all the time makes sudden interruptions easier to deal with.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

But then you have more lines and have to go to bag claim. A big time waster, especially on frequent domestic biz trips.

What's more, in the event of a missed connection or lost bags, you can end up without a change of clothes for a few days. Having it with you all the time makes sudden interruptions easier to deal with.
I used to be a religious supporter of your school of thought, but about two years ago, I started checking bags every week, and now completely sold that this is a far more civil way to travel:
-my bag hasn't been lost or damaged yet, but if this happens, I'm capable of buying clothes at all of my destinations
-I walk around airports with nothing except for my computer bag, and sometimes I even place it inside of my checked bag (along with my jacket)
-checking my bag takes less than a minute
-on occasion, I have to wait for up to 5 minutes at baggage claim, but in the context of a 3 hour flight plus a 1.5 hour delay, those 5 minutes are rather insignificant
-because overhead bin space is a non issue for me, I can wait in the lounge/concourse until the last possible minute
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Don't ever eat the food in foreign places as you always get sick.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Just saw this in a blog about packing as little as possible:

"If it doesn't smell, it's clean."

Not sure that's always true - coffee stains don't smell - but, in general, the blogger has a point.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by moondog
I used to be a religious supporter of your school of thought, but about two years ago, I started checking bags every week, and now completely sold that this is a far more civil way to travel:
-my bag hasn't been lost or damaged yet, but if this happens, I'm capable of buying clothes at all of my destinations
-I walk around airports with nothing except for my computer bag, and sometimes I even place it inside of my checked bag (along with my jacket)
-checking my bag takes less than a minute
-on occasion, I have to wait for up to 5 minutes at baggage claim, but in the context of a 3 hour flight plus a 1.5 hour delay, those 5 minutes are rather insignificant
-because overhead bin space is a non issue for me, I can wait in the lounge/concourse until the last possible minute
I'm not a hardliner either way on the carry-on vs. checked bag debate. I choose whichever is most appropriate for my trip. Here are several counterpoints to what you've written that cause me to avoid checking bags on many trips:

-- Buying clothes at my destination is difficult if it's a foreign country and I don't speak the primary language.
-- Buying clothes at my destination is a frustrating time sink if it's a business trip.
-- Buying specialized clothing (think tailored suits and certain sporting gear) is expensive and time consuming even with language fluency.
-- If I'm traveling between locations frequently after I land, a bag that's delayed by a day may never catch up to me as the airline/shipper fails to deliver it to the proper address on time.
-- While many airports are able to deliver my bag within 5 minutes or less of the time I arrive at baggage claim, certain airports at certain times of day commonly take 20 minutes or more. When traveling on a tight schedule or simply tired, that's frustrating.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Always wrap it.
Wrong thread
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Don't ever eat the food in foreign places as you always get sick.
Impossible to follow that rule, if you're there for longer than a few hours.

Avoid salads. Don't eat the fruit, unless you can cook it or peel it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.