Do you know more travel tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you know more travel tips?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:35 pm
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Don't ever eat the food in foreign places as you always get sick.
I'm not a foodie *at all*, but that doesn't seem very fun.

To me, half the fun of walking around Hong Kong at night was trying things at different food stalls and talking to the locals eating there.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:44 pm

The only travel tip worth remembering:

UPGRADE!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Tip #1: I still use a Garmin nuvi and will bring it with me on trips. When I'm putting together plans for a trip I will throw various addresses into a spreadsheet and then a week or so before I leave I will load them into the GPS. Saves time while away and also I'll occasionally find out that I have a street name wrong or a street number that I have doesn't exist. We do a lot of repeat travels, so once I have them entered as favorites they will be there for future trips.

Tip #2: Always recheck hotel and rental car rates. I find that more than 50% of the time I can find a lower rate after the initial booking.

Tip#3: Throw a winter hat into your golf bag, even when traveling to a "warm" weather destination.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'm not a hardliner either way on the carry-on vs. checked bag debate. I choose whichever is most appropriate for my trip. Here are several counterpoints to what you've written that cause me to avoid checking bags on many trips:

-- Buying clothes at my destination is difficult if it's a foreign country and I don't speak the primary language.
-- Buying clothes at my destination is a frustrating time sink if it's a business trip.
-- Buying specialized clothing (think tailored suits and certain sporting gear) is expensive and time consuming even with language fluency.
-- If I'm traveling between locations frequently after I land, a bag that's delayed by a day may never catch up to me as the airline/shipper fails to deliver it to the proper address on time.
-- While many airports are able to deliver my bag within 5 minutes or less of the time I arrive at baggage claim, certain airports at certain times of day commonly take 20 minutes or more. When traveling on a tight schedule or simply tired, that's frustrating.
Lost baggage is honestly almost a complete non-iissue for me, but my contingency plans aren't nearly as dramatic as yours.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by celle
Quote:
Don't ever eat the food in foreign places as you always get sick.

Impossible to follow that rule, if you're there for longer than a few hours.
Avoid salads. Don't eat the fruit, unless you can cook it or peel it.
Depends on the foreign place. I have no problem with salads and fruit in Australia
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Always offer to carry packages back for random people you have met in clubs and pubs.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:31 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Wear a suit and be extra polite. You will be upgraded when you checkin for your flight!
Can I use your time machine too? I love the 70s.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Can I use your time machine too? I love the 70s.
What? Drugs and lots of promiscuous sex?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Always offer to carry packages back for random people you have met in clubs and pubs.
Walk up fares at the airport are often cheapest, as the airline knows they have to sell the seat at a deep discount or lose the whole value of the seat.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Save carrying hair gel and use marmalade as a cheap substitute instead, but beware of wasps in the summer.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:22 am

Programs: LH M+M
I always carry a little/thin cardboard on me where I write down booking codes and essential contacts (e.g. Hotel/Workplace) for just in case contingency. Enough cash.

Checked bags: yes, I am forced to ("dangerous" goods); but I usually have a "ranger roll" and some basic toiletry in my carry-on. "Lost" my bag only once - on the way home.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Years ago, flying from Bangkok to Kathamdu, and me and my friend had run of out Thai cash (last spent on bus to airport) and didn't want to change any more.

At check-in, 2 Nepalese guys asked if we would check bags for them: we looked at their stuff and given they appeared to be cornering the region's snow-washed denim market, we did.

Ate like pigs at the airport, on arrival in Katmandu, grabbed our own rucksacks and legged it from arrivals.

Not sure I would do the same nowadays....
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Walk up fares at the airport are often cheapest, as the airline knows they have to sell the seat at a deep discount or lose the whole value of the seat.
Still? Even in today's age?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
But then you have more lines and have to go to bag claim. A big time waster, especially on frequent domestic biz trips.

What's more, in the event of a missed connection or lost bags, you can end up without a change of clothes for a few days. Having it with you all the time makes sudden interruptions easier to deal with.
Time well spent if it means someone else is doing the lifting and carrying. I plan not to be in a hurry.

Always take clean underwear in a carry on bag with my laptop and spending an airline's money on clothes is no hardship, although it's a lot of years since I last had a bag go astray.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
ITT: People who don't recognize snark / sarcasm / fake tips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.