Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you know more travel tips?

Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Lightbulb Do you know more travel tips?

Hi! Im a traveler and I've been in many countries in the last years. I've learned many tips I always like to share

1.Travel in low season.
Try to avoid traveling when everyone is looking to get away, there are off-peak times when all rates are lower (hotel, flights, transportation, etc.).

2. Search for coupons.
Have you ever checked the coupon websites? Or, what about the ones inside newspapers? We might dont take care about them at first sight but coupons are really really valuable when youre shopping. If you are a fanatic of any brand or store you should search on the web if theres any coupon you can use and apply on your next purchase. Make a shopping plan.

3. Avoid Taxi Cabs
You may think that taxis are cheap and safe transportation option but, unfortunately, is not always the best. You should book for legitimate companies that can offer you safe and cheap transportation services like Uber or Shuttlewizard.

4. Location is fundamental.
You need to choose an accommodation wisely, checking all the hotel options, location, services they provide, prices and type of rooms. Here's a good site.

5. Pack light.
Packing smart and traveling light will save you extra bucks. You can also take care about your money and documents just using a money-belt.

^^^
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Never eat berries that grow below waist height on a golf course.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Agree with some, but not with all:

Originally Posted by christhewriter
1.Travel in low season.
True if one prioritizes money above everything else. That is not necessarily everyone's priority. Family schedule constraints may make this impossible, and high season often coincides with the best weather at the destination. Don't be so dogmatic, "one size fits all."

2. Search for coupons.
A good idea unless one is rolling in dough. (I'm not.)

3. Avoid Taxi Cabs
Very location-dependent. True in some places, not others. Singapore taxis, for example, are great.

4. Location is fundamental.
No problem with this one.

5. Pack light.
This is FT gospel! That said, if you're going to spend a lot of time in one place, its advantages are often overstated. Again, don't be so one-size-fits-all. Your needs are not everyone's needs.

Last edited by Efrem; Mar 15, 2016 at 6:02 am
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
How does packing light save me money when I can take 30 or 40 kilos each person for free?

I always take taxis.

I travel whenever I want to go somewhere.

I'm a FT reject it seems.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Never eat berries that grow below waist height on a golf course.
lol
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Always wrap it.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I traveled as cheap as I could in the old day, at my age, I know I can not take it with me,

I will enjoy the ride, take the taxi, and not worry about it.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Wear a suit and be extra polite. You will be upgraded when you checkin for your flight!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere

Always drink from a bottle. Always pay cash. And never but ever believe they even remotely like you
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Wear a suit and be extra polite. You will be upgraded when you checkin for your flight!
A lot of upgrades are now done at automatically at the gate. So this trick doesn't work anymore.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
It should still count for something. Tired of sitting next to slobs
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Quote:

A lot of upgrades are now done at automatically at the gate. So this trick doesn't work anymore.
So just make sure you dress up your computer
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
How does packing light save me money when I can take 30 or 40 kilos each person for free?

I always take taxis.

I travel whenever I want to go somewhere.

I'm a FT reject it seems.
We all get rejected from time to time. With my status I can take 3 70 pound bags for free. Like you, I always take taxis.

Urban legend. An elite in a torn and dirty sweat suit will get an upgrade before a Kettle in a suit.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Efrem
True if one prioritizes money above everything else. That is not necessarily everyone's priority. Family schedule constraints may make this impossible, and high season often coincides with the best weather at the destination. Don't be so dogmatic, "one size fits all."
Agreed. The way to package this as advice would be: Traveling in shoulder season or low season is a good way to save money, if it fits your schedule and goals.

Similarly, the oft-given advice to save money on major foreign travel by shopping for last-minute fares only works for people who can take time off from work on a whim.

Last edited by darthbimmer; Mar 14, 2016 at 8:31 pm Reason: fix quoting
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Turn on your sarcasm detector.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.