Wiki Posts
Search

Flying in different cabin than spouse

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Just like the title says - I'm curious who routinely does this or it's a relationship no-no. I know it depends on the couple, but do most couples have an issue with upgrading the same person each time, leaving the other in coach?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

There's an old saying: happy wife, happy life. Many guys give their upgraded seat assignment to their lady.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by sannmann
There's an old saying: happy wife, happy life. Many guys give their upgraded seat assignment to their lady.
That's about the only way this would work. I went through a fast track security line once without my wife and she's never forgotten it.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:20 am

I don't think any relationship would withstand that......not sitting together is one thing (and may be preferred by some couples), but allowing one to enjoy a better experience than the other would be a relationship killer, IMO. I would be planning on a separation (or maybe even calling a lawyer) before we even got on the plane if my husband tried to do that to me. And I would never accept it the other way around either (me in the upper cabin, him in coach).
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
I don't think any relationship would withstand that......not sitting together is one thing (and may be preferred by some couples), but allowing one to enjoy a better experience than the other would be a relationship killer, IMO. I would be planning on a separation (or maybe even calling a lawyer) before we even got on the plane if my husband tried to do that to me. And I would never accept it the other way around either (me in the upper cabin, him in coach).
I would be thrilled to put my wife in an upper cabin if there was only a choice of one of us. What a great way to do something very nice for your wife. If she wouldn't sit there that is okay, but she should at least be given the choice.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I would be thrilled to put my wife in an upper cabin if there was only a choice of one of us. What a great way to do something very nice for your wife. If she wouldn't sit there that is okay, but she should at least be given the choice.
My wife and I were at the head of the line for upgrades ORD-PEK on AA about ten months ago. The gate agent asked me "If only one becomes available, who gets it?" I replied without hesitation "She does." He said "Right answer!" with a big smile and, a while later, gave us two. I have no idea what he would have done had I said something else, but he clearly approved.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I fly a lot more than Mr. Fink does, all in premium cabins. He thought this 'hobby' of mine was silly until he had his first true premium experience 3 years ago flying CX business class, followed by many more great C/J and F products. I created a monster and since then he's been hooked. He enjoys it even more than me, especially the top shelf booze (I don't drink) and the food (I don't eat meat or fish so it's lost on me), while for me, it's all about the seat/pod and just being on a plane. We both love the lounges. So if we only got one upgrade, it would go to him as he just enjoys the entire experience so much. He works hard and I just love to see him enjoy something so much. It makes me happy to make him so happy.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kate2015
Just like the title says - I'm curious who routinely does this or it's a relationship no-no. I know it depends on the couple, but do most couples have an issue with upgrading the same person each time, leaving the other in coach?
I did it once. Wife wanted to fly Coach and take the savings and buy jewelry. I felt like an idiot. Never did it again.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It only happened to me once. I had met up with my wife on a business trip. I offered her my J seat but she didn't want to leave her sister and brother-in-law who were also travelling with us. I also offered it to my brother-in-law who knew better than to take it. Having been unable to give the business class seat away I took it myself.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
On VS at check in, I was saying goodbye to the inlaws, he was offered an upgrade to which she said "not without me he doesn't". Mr Check In said "OK" and provided the second UG. Smiling all the way to the Clubhouse.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Most of the folk I know the hubby gives the upgrade to the wife. If only one upgrade clears in both directions, they'll split it - wife gets it one way; hubby the other way. And then there are some who will decline it entirely so they can both sit in coach.

The thing I don't understand is if they're both upgraded but not seated next to each other & then go through the rigamarole of asking everyone in the cabin if they'll switch. Yes I get it's preferable to sit next to your spouse, but unless it's truly a long-haul flight (and even then) will the world fall apart if you're not next to each for a few hours (exception made for newlyweds)? I get asking someone if they'll switch, but I've been on a few flights where I've watched some couples ask the entire cabin & it gets to be uncomfortable. I also remember watching it happen on two flights & after the couple were seated next to each other they didn't communicate on the flights (reading, watching books, talking to other seatmate but not to the spouse). What was the point of asking the cabin to switch if you were barely going to talk to each other?

Cheers.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

In our case, he usually sleeps, so I was thinking of saving money on vacation and getting him a coach award ticket, while buying a ticket for myself. I was 100% last year for upgrades and don't have much reason to believe it'll be different this year. Didn't know how awful it would be to leave him in coach for 2-3 hours!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:13 pm

In our case, he usually sleeps, so I was thinking of saving money on vacation and getting him a coach award ticket, while buying a ticket for myself. I was 100% last year for upgrades and don't have much reason to believe it'll be different this year. Didn't know how awful it would be to leave him in coach for 2-3 hours!
Because he complained or you felt guilty or because you missed each other so much on the 2-3 hour flight?

Cheers.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Because he complained or you felt guilty or because you missed each other so much on the 2-3 hour flight?

Cheers.
Sorry, I meant I didn't know if it would be awful to do it. We've sat apart before (when upgraded without seats next to each other) but I've never left him in coach.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:24 pm

Sorry, I meant I didn't know if it would be awful to do it. We've sat apart before (when upgraded without seats next to each other) but I've never left him in coach.
Well just because he's on an award ticket & you're on a paid ticket that has a good chance of upgrade, you still have the option of swapping seats once on-board. But for a 2-3 hour flight I would say it's not that big a deal especially if he sleeps.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.