Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying in different cabin than spouse

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Wife and I are always in same cabin, typically F award tickets internationally. A few years ago, wife needed to take a paid flight to reach MM status on UA just before merger with CO. She bought Y and got instant mileage upgrade to J. I had to fly separately to destination, a day earlier. I flew F both ways, but first offered her the F return seat.

I disliked the experience of flying 14 hours in separate cabins, and will avoid it in the future. We have a lot of fun celebrating the onset and end of our vacations while inflight. Just can't do it right when seated apart.

Last edited by 747FC; Jan 26, 2016 at 2:17 am
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite

Well I have left my wife in the regular line to go through pre check by myself but now that we have a toddler I'd feel too guilty to go by myself.

As for on the flight we would probably alternate who gets up front each time.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: *G
no way. ever. i've gotten in trouble for much much much less.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Using award tickets we have 1 in F & 1 J both ways two different redemptions. If another F seat doesn't open we'll keep what we have. We haven't decided whether to fly in separate cabins or to make someone in J very happy. We've booked like this to visit the F lounges and have hope for another F seat.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Y and J > Wife sits in J.
F and J > Wife sits in J.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Most of the folk I know the hubby gives the upgrade to the wife. If only one upgrade clears in both directions, they'll split it - wife gets it one way; hubby the other way.
We do this. I don't have status so the ONLY time I get to fly in premium cabin is if we get upgraded or using his miles. If we're in split cabins, he offers for me to have the better one just because it's much more infrequent for me (and of course, I accept).

Originally Posted by canadiancow
This is literally the definition of sexism.

I don't think this is sexist at all. Blame the sexist business world for typically sending men all over the world and collecting miles/points/status. If I was traveling all over the world and collecting miles/points/status as a woman, I would bump him up over myself on our one or two vacations a year too!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:32 pm

Let me ask a variation: flying with wife and 8 year old daughter this summer, domestic 2 leg flight. I'm booked "F," they're coach. I was planning on letting my very well behaved 8 year old fly in my seat on one leg, and my wife on the other. What do people think about someone letting an 8 year old fly in F with both parents in the back? She's flown a lot, and behaves great on a flight. I figured I'd tell her 1 strike you're out, and ask the FA to alert me if she causes a problem, and she's back in coach with me.
I'm more confused about using my pre✔️ Without them.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'm pretty sure minors have to be in same cabin as at least one parent
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
You don't seriously think it's no big deal to leave someone you care about standing alone in a long line so that you can breeze on through? Or, that it's OK to stand in an annoying line alone and watch someone you care about pass you by rather than keep you company in your shared line-waiting misery? Personally, I am happy to keep my friends and family company in a line up and have no desire to spend it alone (or leave them to spend it alone). If we're sharing a vacation/trip/whatever experience, that includes the transit as well as the destination. Hassle shared is hassle halved.
This seems completely illogical to me, especially if one person using the Precheck line also simplifies the process for the person in the regular grope-me line. (e.g., I take the kids and carryons with me to the Precheck line.)

Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, I do.

Minimize the aggregate pain, maximize the aggregate pleasure. If that means only one person gets the "good" experience at some point during the flight, well, we take the one over zero. We're adults and know that it is not because we hate the other person or want them to have a worse experience. That's just the way it works out some times.

The person in the easier/shorter line takes the bags and does something useful with the time saved, like refilling water bottles or such. The net is still a win for both of us.
+1. This is logical.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Raskage
Let me ask a variation: flying with wife and 8 year old daughter this summer, domestic 2 leg flight. I'm booked "F," they're coach. I was planning on letting my very well behaved 8 year old fly in my seat on one leg, and my wife on the other. What do people think about someone letting an 8 year old fly in F with both parents in the back? She's flown a lot, and behaves great on a flight. I figured I'd tell her 1 strike you're out, and ask the FA to alert me if she causes a problem, and she's back in coach with me.
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm pretty sure minors have to be in same cabin as at least one parent
jrl767 is correct. Minors of a certain age (typically under 12-15 years old depending on the airline) have to be in the same cabin as one parent, unless they are on an unaccompanied minors ticket. In which case, you would need to ticket your daughter in F as an unaccompanied minor.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
This seems completely illogical to me, especially if one person using the Precheck line also simplifies the process for the person in the regular grope-me line. (e.g., I take the kids and carryons with me to the Precheck line.)
Yes it is. But I'm not a person ruled solely by logic, and I have emotional connections to some people that are important to me (and to them).
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Hassle shared is hassle halved.
I would say that hassle shared is hassle doubled, actually.

Yes it is. But I'm not a person ruled solely by logic, and I have emotional connections to some people that are important to me (and to them).
I also have emotional connections with people that are important to me. Those emotional connections don't require me being in physical proximity to them at all times, allow me to be happy when they have a more enjoyable experience than me (and vice versa), and generally are not reliant on us standing in lines together.

I get that different people have various preferences, and that's fine. But please don't take your own opinion that being separated from your companions is such a big deal and impose it on others who feel it is not.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Raskage
Most carriers would make you pay the UM fee.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Sometimes, my mom tags along with my dad for his business trips, and since he has to head to meetings straight off the plane, she insists that he take his paid for business class ticket so he can have a productive meeting. Her reasoning is that it's more important for him to be well rested so he can work to provide for the family while for her, it's a purely pleasure trip.

Though for the most part, my parents rarely travel together as they have different schedules, and they'd prefer the house to not be left alone for too long if they can help it.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
If my husband or I got an upgrade from J to F I don't know who would sit in it. He wouldn't automatically give it to me and I would not expect him to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.