Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Held by security for hours / missed flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
If you don't care about the line moving slowly, don't mention it. As a tip for writing complaints, leave out the "color" and minor gripes, as it makes the reader less sympathetic to what the actual issue is.
I say it's the OP's post and he/she may choose any writing style they wish. Trying to force other people to take on one's writing style makes bystanding readers less sympathetic to one's own position.

Last edited by Grog; Sep 7, 2015 at 11:38 am
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Grog
I say it's the OP's post and he/she may choose any writing style they wish. Trying to force other people to take on one's writing style makes bystanding readers less sympathetic to one's own position.
Of course the OP can choose any writing style he or she wishes. But the OP came to the site asking about the best way to get recourse. Thus it is completely appropriate to provide guidance -- and indeed, that same suggestion has been provided on FT dozens of times.

See, e.g.:
http://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/bl...nt-letter.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ng-post-2.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lp-please.html

See also: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...nts-seriously/
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by udontknowme
Uniquesituation,

First, I think we've forgotten to congratulate you on your marriage and your otherwise fantastic honeymoon.

Do you or the Embassy have any documentation of this admission? That may go a long way toward helping you make a claim.

I was not aware that surrender of Finnish citizenship could be successfully accomplished through the Maistratti (local register offices, for those following along). To my knowledge and experience the proper form had to be filed with the Maahanmuuttovirasto via an in-person visit to the police if in Finland, or via the Finnish embassy if abroad. At that time, you also had to present identity documents, preferably the passport of your new country as you may not drop your Finnish citizenship if that makes you stateless. This could have changed, but I am not aware of it.

The stamped certification of US citizenship by the Maistratti doesn't solve your primary problem, that is you appear in the computer as a Finnish citizen.

Again, sorry about your difficulties. Navigating most any country's bureaucracy is usually a nightmare.
Congrats to the OP, from me as well.

The difficulties of dealing with bureaucracies on these matters are a special feature of having mandatory national population registration/deregistration systems. The NPU countries have a rather special dynamic, and my guess is we should blame Swedish history and intervention for it.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by uniquesituation
Finland having a rule on entering with a Finnish Passport: not that I'm aware of. When I became a US Citizen I took the Oath of Allegiance (to give up all other ties and citizenships), I've been working with the Finnish government to take the necessary steps to drop my Finnish citizenship (for the last 2 years - each time they require something more).
Originally Posted by uniquesituation
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I was always under the impression that if you became a US citizen, you had to give up you citizenship of any other country (i.e. the US does not allow dual citizenship).
This is what I was informed of when I became a US Citizen and when taking the Oath of Allegiance.
I strongly urge you to read the "Important Information" on page 7 of your US passport:
Originally Posted by United States Passport
14. DUAL CITIZENS a person who has the citizenship of more than one country at the same time is considered a dual citizen. A dual citizen may be subject to the laws of the other country that considers that person its citizen while in that country's jurisdiction, including conscription for military service. Dual nationality hamper efforts to provide U.S. consular protection to dual citizens in the foreign country of their other nationality. Dual citizens who encounter problems abroad should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
Taking an oath of allegiance to the United States does not absolve one of obligations to the other country where he or she is considered a citizen until successfully renouncing the citizenship of that country according to its laws and procedures.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
Taking an oath of allegiance to the United States does not absolve one of obligations to the other country where he or she is considered a citizen until successfully renouncing the citizenship of that country according to its laws and procedures.
Whether or not it absolves one of obligations depends on the particular circumstances applicable to the US dual-citizen. Most commonly, it does not; however, sometimes it does. It comes down to the particular legal circumstances involved.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:48 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It comes down to the particular legal circumstances involved.
Which is exactly what I wrote:
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Which is exactly what I wrote:
"until successfully renouncing the citizenship of that country according to its laws and procedures."

That just isn't always the case as there are particular circumstances where the U.S. dual-citizenship status makes a difference in absolving some obligations of citizenship in the person's other country of citizenship. Some of the particular circumstances are a legacy of dynamics during the Cold War, and some may be the product of other dynamics from before or after that.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:15 pm

What I take from this: if you are still a citizen of Country B by virtue of Country B's failure to acknowledge your desire to drop said citizenship, you may not necessarily owe any obligations, military or otherwise, to Country B but the finer points of this may be lost on Country B's border control staff, at least for an inconveniently long period of time.

My only thought is that even if D8 (not in Glossary, what is that airline) wouldn't rebook you, you might have had better luck if you had bought a second pair of tickets with D8, and then after you got home, explained the situation, and politely asked for a partial refund - just by way of helping you out during an unexpected delay. Try anyway, can't hurt.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by simpleflyer
What I take from this: if you are still a citizen of Country B by virtue of Country B's failure to acknowledge your desire to drop said citizenship, you may not necessarily owe any obligations, military or otherwise, to Country B but the finer points of this may be lost on Country B's border control staff, at least for an inconveniently long period of time.
Indeed. The border control staff in the main are not experts in the finer nuances of legal life/rights of citizens/residents or others legally entitled to enter and/or exit; instead such frontline staff default to a one-size-fits-most approach and may be familiar with a few of the more frequently encountered "exceptions". This is because of human capital management limitations. It's a good thing we have lawyers and judges to pick up dropped balls.

The people here meant Norwegian -- not D8, but DY. Good short-haul operation, but lousy long-haul service -- especially when things go wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.