Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Held by security for hours / missed flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Finnish passport control are sticklers for "working to specification" in such a way that unions engaged in deliberate work slowdowns (as a form
of protest against employer) may only but admire how to do the same. Even when working to specification of sorts may be a violation of select agreements that are legally binding upon Finland.

Originally Posted by Adam1222
As for what "other airlines" do: 1) no airline is required to reaccommodate you if you miss a flight. Some airlines may if you get a nice agent. 2) an ultra low cost carrier is particularly unlikely to do so.
Item 1 above is not true, but I leave it to you find out why it isn't.

DY -- not D8 -- tickets are often now more expensive than what I see for EU-US tickets on flights operated by the US3 and/or the US3's EU partner airlines. And yet DY's customer service is awful when things go wrong even on DY's expensive tickets.

My rule for myself: avoid DY for long-haul service.
Not sure if you're trying to be cute or play semantics. Obviously there are situations where it is the airlines fault you miss a flight, and you can get rebooked. But I am not aware of any contract of Carriage or legal requirement that airlines assume the risk if you have problems with security or immigration.

The OP seems to have a lot of friends and family who don't allow enough time to get through security and immigration and have benefited from the grace of airlines. The OP believes that other people's experiences in other factual circumstances, flying other airlines, somehow create an entitlement to reimbursement. That is not how it works..

As for Norwegians relative pricing, Norwegian has frequently had sales from the US to Northern Europe for around $500 round trip,which is far less than other airlines. I just searched random dates JFK-HEL, and Norwegian remains $200 less than full service carriers.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Most DY customers are EU-originating customers; and the US3/EU3 airline prices for travel from Scandinavia/NPU to US have been below $500 roundtrip very frequently this year. I have people commuting on these routes, and it's anything but rare for DY to be more expensive than flying one of the big 3 alliances' carriers from DK/FI/NO/SE to the US.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
1) You're thinking of old rules. The US does not object to dual citizenship anymore.

2) Since he's a Finnish citizen in Finland his US citizenship means nothing in this case.
Item 2 above is not necessarily true. There are special bilateral agreements in place related to Finnish citizens with US citizenship.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 6, 2015 at 5:35 pm
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uniquesituation
Thanks for the replies. To answer a few questions:

Finland having a rule on entering with a Finnish Passport: not that I'm aware of. When I became a US Citizen I took the Oath of Allegiance (to give up all other ties and citizenships), I've been working with the Finnish government to take the necessary steps to drop my Finnish citizenship (for the last 2 years - each time they require something more).
Just a heads up. If you're an NPU country's citizen and relocating to the U.S., my suggestion -- dual-citizen or not -- is to consider when you want to get your banking house in order and withdraw your European liquid assets prior to deregistering as a resident citizen of an NPU country. I've been seeing a jump in assistance requests related to Scandinavian/Nordic bank account freezes hitting dual-citizens (of the U.S. and NPU countries) and non-dual-citizens who become U.S. persons with Scandinavian/Finnish citizenship.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
Originally Posted by BearX220
You can create quite a lot of trouble for yourself by showing one passport departing country X and a second one entering country Y.
Not if it's law. In fact what I've seen it's quite the opposite. Like the example right here in this thread.

Almost across the board when you are a citizen of that country, you are required by law to enter and exit with said passport. In this case the OP should have showed his US passport at the Ticket counter to resolve any issues with the airline. Then when going through emigration, showed his Finnish passport. Which I know he didn't have with him at the time but this would have resolved the problem before it even started.

If you have data points to the contrary please share. As dual citizenship is not uncommon and traveling with different passports is almost always a non-issue.

This is what I have always understood. The only reason I have ever heard of anyone traveling with two passports was to "skip the line". With my wife only being a US Citizen, it made more sense for me to only travel with my US Passport.
I'm not trying to pick on you and I am sorry that your trip ended the way it did. However, you misunderstood. Traveling with two passports is required for dual citizens of many countries. In fact this topic is discussed quite a bit here on FT. And like I mentioned above, would have saved you a lot of trouble on your trip.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:20 pm

Hi guys,

Long time reader, new poster. Moderators: If I've posted in the wrong section, please feel free to relocate this to the correct one.

I know EU Regulations cover delayed/cancelled flights, but is there anything that touches on situations such as these?

Thank you in advance,
J.
Not much to say other than you don't ever "add" anything to your answers to a border guard. How long have you been in the EU should be answered with just that. Concise and to the point.

Trip insurance is pretty much useless. If you insist on buying it, you should at the very least read about what it covers and when. I had friends who bought it, had serious flight issues and called. That they didn't first go to the airport before calling meant that for whatever reason, they were denied coverage.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Finkface
Are you saying this applies to all EU citizens or just Austria and Poland? Mr. Fink and I are both Italian citizens (he was born in Italy and it is so noted on his Canadian passport) but we have never used our Italian passports to enter or leave Italy. We always just travel with our Canadian passports amd have never had an issue. Is this country specific?
Italy is amazingly slack on documentation. The stories I've heard from immigration officials at meetings about how much they dislike working with Italy. It includes things like forgetting to even show up to Schengen group meetings.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Item 2 above is not necessarily true. There are special bilateral agreements in place related to Finnish citizens with US citizenship.
More to the point, if a person enters the Schengen region on one passport then he is *supposed* to leave it on the same one, even if leaving via another country. Ideally, the person hands over both passports and tells the IO they entered the region in Italy (or wherever) and on the US passport. But that only happens for people that know the rules and follow them.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cloudship
I was always under the impression that if you became a US citizen, you had to give up you citizenship of any other country (i.e. the US does not allow dual citizenship).
This is what I was informed of when I became a US Citizen and when taking the Oath of Allegiance.

Just a heads up. If you're an NPU country's citizen and relocating to the U.S., my suggestion -- dual-citizen or not -- is to consider when you want to get your banking house in order and withdraw your European liquid assets prior to deregistering as a resident citizen of an NPU country. I've been seeing a jump in assistance requests related to Scandinavian/Nordic bank account freezes hitting dual-citizens (of the U.S. and NPU countries) and non-dual-citizens who become U.S. persons with Scandinavian/Finnish citizenship.
Thank you. No assets at all in Europe.

The OP seems to have a lot of friends and family who don't allow enough time to get through security and immigration and have benefited from the grace of airlines. The OP believes that other people's experiences in other factual circumstances, flying other airlines, somehow create an entitlement to reimbursement. That is not how it works..
Now you are putting words in my mouth.

In the last three decades, I've had family come multiple times per year to visit and it often happens around the winter holidays - naturally there are longer customs lines at airports. In the few times that someone has missed a connecting flight, they've been rebooked. It's not the same situation, but it is the closest experience that I am personally aware of.

Have I ever once said that I am entitled to anything? No. I am simply asking if there is any ground for me to stand on.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:53 pm

Although my husband was born in another country, he has been a U.S. citizen for 35 years. He simply carries both passports with him when traveling to and from the country he was born in. We have found that we can even save time at customs, coming and going from that country,, by going into the line for people holding passports from that country (Even though I"m an American, I have been told to go to that line with him in that country). Those lines are always the shortest.
Sometimes it is just quicker and easier not to 'stand your ground" about you being a U.S. citizen now. Just carry both passports and don't make it such a big deal.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
More to the point, if a person enters the Schengen region on one passport then he is *supposed* to leave it on the same one, even if leaving via another country.
That indeed makes it more smooth for most people in practical terms, even as the legal situation may be more generous/favorable to the dual-citizen than to the government when it comes to more deliberate rulings/determinations. On the matter of whether it may, that depends on the Schengen country of relevance when it comes to citizens, dual or otherwise, of Schengen countries.

To interdict traffic of some sorts leaving Schengen countries too, governments have looked at how to get legally creative to restrict some flows. I'll just say that the analysis has been very interesting.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 6, 2015 at 9:58 pm
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I was always under the impression that if you became a US citizen, you had to give up you citizenship of any other country (i.e. the US does not allow dual citizenship).
This is what I was informed of when I became a US Citizen and when taking the Oath of Allegiance.

Thank you. No assets at all in Europe.

Now you are putting words in my mouth.

In the last three decades, I've had family come multiple times per year to visit and it often happens around the winter holidays - naturally there are longer customs lines at airports. In the few times that someone has missed a connecting flight, they've been rebooked. It's not the same situation, but it is the closest experience that I am personally aware of.

Have I ever once said that I am entitled to anything? No. I am simply asking if there is any ground for me to stand on.
I guess I don't understand the difference between being entitled to something and having a "ground to stand on" in insisting someone should have treated you differently.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:07 am

Programs: US Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
You can create quite a lot of trouble for yourself by showing one passport departing country X and a second one entering country Y.
Originally Posted by ft101
It is also the most convenient way to travel in some cases.
It's the *only* way to travel in some cases. Let's say you're a dual citizen, US and UK. You are *legally required* to enter the US on your US passport. Therefore, you must also leave the US on your US passport. However, your US passport has no visa in it for the UK. So you must enter the UK on your British passport.

What trouble is this supposed to cause?

wg
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:02 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK

Assuming that you are not trying to retain dual citizenship, I might try and take it up with the US embassy. I would start there. In the end they were trying to deny your citizenship rights as a US citizen.
I'm not quite sure what rights a US citizen would have in relation to Finnish immigration?

For example, I do not have an automatic right to enter the US as a citizen of another country.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:36 am
Original Poster

I guess I don't understand the difference between being entitled to something and having a "ground to stand on" in insisting someone should have treated you differently.
"Am I entitled to have my expenses covered?" vs "I am entitled to have my expenses covered"

Airlines don't always make things clear. For instance: I was caught for 3 days in the 2010 snowstorm at Heathrow. My luggage was lost for 10 days, meaning I had to purchase clothes. I made many calls, but no one from BA could give me a clear answer as to what they would cover - so I held off on buying suits for meetings. After getting back home, and after months of attempts to get through to someone at BA - they finally let me know that it was an EU regulation that they had to cover everything and wrote me a check for alternate airfare, clothing, meals, etc. Had I known this I could have had a more comfortable stay without my luggage.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:17 am

Uniquesituation,

First, I think we've forgotten to congratulate you on your marriage and your otherwise fantastic honeymoon.

In the end, we were held for hours (til 3pm) while they investigated this matter and missed our flights - they admitted they had made a mistake (the US Embassy had gotten involved). The Border Protection/Finnish Government, nor our airline (Norwegian), would rebook/reimburse us for our flights.
Do you or the Embassy have any documentation of this admission? That may go a long way toward helping you make a claim.

Thank you udontknowme,

Correct: I have not served in the Finnish Army (and yes, this did come up with the Border Protection officer).

You and I know you didn't have to serve. The average Rajavartiolaitos agent, not so much, and, as you noticed, can be touchy about it.

I've provided document after document to the Finnish Maistratti over the last few years (in order to give up my Finnish citizenship), however each time they require "one more document". After we were released from Border Protection, the Maistratti agreed over the phone to accept the documents which I had long ago supplied them. I now have an stamped certification from the Maistratti that displays my US Citizenship.
I was not aware that surrender of Finnish citizenship could be successfully accomplished through the Maistratti (local register offices, for those following along). To my knowledge and experience the proper form had to be filed with the Maahanmuuttovirasto via an in-person visit to the police if in Finland, or via the Finnish embassy if abroad. At that time, you also had to present identity documents, preferably the passport of your new country as you may not drop your Finnish citizenship if that makes you stateless. This could have changed, but I am not aware of it.

The stamped certification of US citizenship by the Maistratti doesn't solve your primary problem, that is you appear in the computer as a Finnish citizen.

Again, sorry about your difficulties. Navigating most any country's bureaucracy is usually a nightmare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.