Reload this Page >

What are your favorite travel myths?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:31 am

I work for a tour op and a lot of our clients always think that the best flight prices are 11 months in advance as soon as they come out....great for getting the sale, but as most of us know that isn't the case at all!
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by ksandness
"Everybody speaks English"
No one means that LITERALLY everyone speaks English. They mean you'll be able to get by without speaking the local language, because English is enough to get on with. This is true.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold

The planes practically fly themselves!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Ahh, this is a good one! I don't think I've ever seen a duty free that's cheaper than why I can get locally back home.
Actually, we were just in Iceland. The Duty Free had my husband's favorite whisky (Glenfarclas 105) for $35, the same size bottle going for $120 at home (Hagerstown, MD). That is, if you can get it. We bought two.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:00 pm

Myths:

Of course your checked luggage will arrive with your flight, despite the delay! (of the 6 of us traveling, 3 had delayed luggage. One was 1 day, one was 3 days, and I only got mine 5 days later because I kept calling 3-4 times a day). I try not to check luggage anymore, unless it's inevitable.

Of course you will make your connection! We radioed ahead to let them know that we were running late (actually said to me and my party, 4 of us including my mom who has trouble walking. We made a mad dash through Charlotte and found the doors to the plane just closing. We had to argue with them to wait for my mom, who was still hobbling along).
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
My favorite myth is that by flying some convoluted route, with many stops and a forced extra hotel stay, I am saving $89 a ticket. Given the cost of the extra room, meals, and the lost vacation day I figure that a non-stop or one-stop direct route is far cheaper.

Example, I flew Economy Plus to and from Europe for $1400 recently. I could have paid 'only' $1150 for flights that involved two extra stops and 16 hours of extra travel time. This is a deal???
Meals-I typically eat in the lounge
Room-I have no problem sleeping at airports (I have done so before.)
Holiday-I have 3 weeks of it and can use said itinerary to see places I would not otherwise be able to see, especially since with 24h I can still see a lot.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
No one means that LITERALLY everyone speaks English. They mean you'll be able to get by without speaking the local language, because English is enough to get on with. This is true.
In rural China and everywhere outside of the tourist areas in Cuba it was hard to find English speakers.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I saw a doozy on some random website the other day. It told readers not to make a seat selection until they arrived at the airport. This would supposedly put them first in line for upgrades.

Uh, no. It puts you first in line for a middle seat near the lavatory.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Actually, we were just in Iceland. The Duty Free had my husband's favorite whisky (Glenfarclas 105) for $35, the same size bottle going for $120 at home (Hagerstown, MD). That is, if you can get it. We bought two.
That is a great price! You can actually bring back more than the duty-free allowance, you just have to pay duty (and it's on the price you paid). Also, they've never actually charged me, just told me they could but it wasn't worth the effort.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by saxman66
The planes practically fly themselves!
I was on an aircraft earlier this week that had an inop auto-lander. The (manual) landing was the hardest I've ever experienced on a commercial aircraft without it being classified as a "landing incident."

Maybe the planes should fly themselves
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ksandness
I saw a doozy on some random website the other day. It told readers not to make a seat selection until they arrived at the airport. This would supposedly put them first in line for upgrades.

Uh, no. It puts you first in line for a middle seat near the lavatory.
^^

First in line for a middle seat near the lavatory if available and first to get bumped if the flight is oversold.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
My favorite myth is that by flying some convoluted route, with many stops and a forced extra hotel stay, I am saving $89 a ticket. Given the cost of the extra room, meals, and the lost vacation day I figure that a non-stop or one-stop direct route is far cheaper.

Example, I flew Economy Plus to and from Europe for $1400 recently. I could have paid 'only' $1150 for flights that involved two extra stops and 16 hours of extra travel time. This is a deal???
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Meals-I typically eat in the lounge
Room-I have no problem sleeping at airports (I have done so before.)
Holiday-I have 3 weeks of it and can use said itinerary to see places I would not otherwise be able to see, especially since with 24h I can still see a lot.
I somehow doubt that the typical passenger in this situation has lounge access.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by milepig
I somehow doubt that the typical passenger in this situation has lounge access.
You mean like my family members who booked a flight arriving 6 hours after mine because it saved them $20. Only when I pointed out that by "saving $20" they would end up spending an additional $150 to get to the hotel because I wasn't waiting at the airport for them did they realize the error of their ways and change the flights. They still grumble though that I "made them" change their flights.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by airplanegod
First in line for a middle seat near the lavatory if available and first to get bumped if the flight is oversold.
Not necessarily; the bumping rules generally don't say that passengers without seat assignments lose out. Status and ticket class/price are more important.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, Aegean Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold
Actually saw my favorite travel myth in action earlier this week where a traveler with no status cut in front of me at Premier check-in for UA and "dropped" his open wallet in front of a check-in agent while asking for an upgrade...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.