What are your favorite travel myths?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are your favorite travel myths?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan
So you always tip and it always works but not always always cause it only works in Vegas.
Making sense....
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Q54701
I don't think this is a myth, heavier electronic devices need to be stowed to prevent being projectiles (we can argue whether you'd have bigger issues if that happens during landings).
that was the post-hoc rationalization for the rule, but the real reason was a bean counter who suggested enforcing* it to save the costs of repairing torn seatbacks.

*there was already a vague rule in place, but it was universally ignored by airlines cramming magazines, skymall, and other junk in the pockets. it only became an issue when pax were storing their own junk there.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by crabbing
that was the post-hoc rationalization for the rule, but the real reason was a bean counter who suggested enforcing* it to save the costs of repairing torn seatbacks.

*there was already a vague rule in place, but it was universally ignored by airlines cramming magazines, skymall, and other junk in the pockets. it only became an issue when pax were storing their own junk there.
TBH, that actually sounds like a travel urban legend.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by sethb
Which one is that?
Curious to know as well.

See related: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...ns-thread.html
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
It's just as much a myth to say that duty-free is never a good value.

I always check duty-free liquor when traveling abroad. While a good majority of the choices are no bargain compared to what I can buy at home, I almost always find a few things that are bargains. For example, Cointreau liquor overseas is frequently as cheap as 1/2 the price I pay at discount stores in the US.
I agree, I can ususally find a bargain at duty free. Last year I scored a 1L JW Blue at Fukoka DFS. Cost was $140.

Last edited by spearsba; Aug 14, 2015 at 11:42 am
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by spearsba
I agree, I can ususally find a bargain at duty free. Last year I scored a 1L JW Blue at Fukoka DFS.
Without the price, how can anybody know if it's a bargain?

(Under $200, based on Costco's pricing, and Costco sometimes has sales.)
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Not sure this qualifies as a myth...maybe more an incorrect assumption, but:

The notion that a delayed flight announcement means that your flight can't leave any earlier than the announcement indicates. In fact, as most here know (and as I learned years ago when I almost missed a "delayed" flight that ended up departing on schedule), the flight can still end up leaving on time, or at least earlier than the announcement indicates.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Got This

Originally Posted by Madone59
I've gotten that one too. I just say "They drown snorkeling"
recently when going to Mexico. To a gated resort. "What about that guy who got kidnapped right off the street?" It amazes me how many people have commented, upon hearing that I had just returned from Mexico, "Is it safe down there?" Most danger I faced was some South Americans who stole my chair at the pool.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GatoAndaluz
Only budget travelers surviving on two groats and a fistful of bellybutton lint daily can really understand local culture.
LOL

They do understand how to freeload off people much poorer than themselves, though.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Travel makes you smarter!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Without the price, how can anybody know if it's a bargain?

(Under $200, based on Costco's pricing, and Costco sometimes has sales.)
Crap, my oversight. Price was $140 after converting Yen to Dollars.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by spearsba
Crap, my oversight. Price was $140 after converting Yen to Dollars.
$140 for JW Blue is a bargain based on regular prices (around $160-170 at Costco), not a fantastic one.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, DL D360
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Curious to know as well.

See related: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...ns-thread.html
Sorry about the delay in responding - just got back from vacation (alas, domestic, so no Scotch for hubby this time). He prefers The Balvenie 21-year single malt Scotch. In WA where the state only recently privatized liquor sales, and now taxes them insanely, we'll pay $275 a bottle these days once taxes are accounted for. I bought two bottles at duty free in Paris a few months ago and paid under $200 each - I can't recall the actual cost, but I just recall it was a huge savings.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by jill5172
Sorry about the delay in responding - just got back from vacation (alas, domestic, so no Scotch for hubby this time). He prefers The Balvenie 21-year single malt Scotch. In WA where the state only recently privatized liquor sales, and now taxes them insanely, we'll pay $275 a bottle these days once taxes are accounted for. I bought two bottles at duty free in Paris a few months ago and paid under $200 each - I can't recall the actual cost, but I just recall it was a huge savings.
Thank you for the follow up.

Have you looked at ordering online? It's really not worth it where I live but it may be for you.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
Sometimes they do. Some years, some model cars have had a ridiculously small number of different keys (like 6 for the entire production run).
40 years ago someone could have pulled this off. But now there are so many key combinations that your odds of starting a rental car with your home key are very low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.