Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are your favorite travel myths?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:46 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
That you have to get to the airport at least 3h before departure. Well, OK, I can think of some airports where this may be the case, but Gatwick isn't one of them.

That Ryanair have pay toilets. Amazing how that particular one of O'Leary's headline-grabbing non-suggestions stuck so well.

That you're banned from taking your own food on board all LCCs. A useful one for them have people believe, that.

That travel broadens the mind. It broadens an open mind, perhaps, but narrows a closed one.

That you need to get foreign currency before you leave your home country (although a reserve can be useful).

That duty free is good value...

And an old favourite for UK-based travellers - that all foreign animals have rabies.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by stut
That duty free is good value...
Ahh, this is a good one! I don't think I've ever seen a duty free that's cheaper than why I can get locally back home.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Ahh, this is a good one! I don't think I've ever seen a duty free that's cheaper than why I can get locally back home.
+1

I have always wondered about duty free and thought that perhaps I was missing out on some "secret" deal.

Perhaps it's a good deal if you're from a country like Brazil where all imports seem to be 5 times the price?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador

And an old favourite for UK-based travellers - that all foreign animals have rabies.
Really? Why on earth would they think that? That's an odd one.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by sethb
It works in Las Vegas just fine (or at least tolerably well).
Worked for me in AC. Once, they upgraded me to a room that did not smell like a dead body!

Travel myth: The TSA is there for my security.

Mike
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:06 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by ysolde
Really? Why on earth would they think that? That's an odd one.
The UK is almost completely free of rabies, thanks to being an island, and having very strict animal import policies (slightly more relaxed now). Domestic animals used to be subject to 6 months mandatory quarantine - even a day trip to France would trigger this. There is now a pet passport scheme for certain animals and destinations.

This was underlined by a series of frankly terrifying posters at ports, airports, even on beaches!

Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
The UK is almost completely free of rabies, thanks to being an island, and having very strict animal import policies (slightly more relaxed now). Domestic animals used to be subject to 6 months mandatory quarantine - even a day trip to France would trigger this. There is now a pet passport scheme for certain animals and destinations.

This was underlined by a series of frankly terrifying posters at ports, airports, even on beaches!

Oh, my. I am just trying to keep a straight face when thinking of all the pampered pooches and cats I meet (including my own, affectionately nicknamed, "Princess"). To think there are people in the UK who would find her terrifying. Wait, she might like that.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Breakfast
"You're travelling to (pick one: Turkey, Morocco, India, Oman, UAE, etc., etc.)? Aren't you scared?". I laugh, because I picture some mother in a place like Beirut saying, "You're going to (pick one: Chicago, New York, L.A., Detroit, etc.)? Do you know how many people are shot there? Aren't you scared?".
That's a good one
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chris19992
"Asia is dangerous, look at that couple that got killed in Thailand"
I've gotten that one too. I just say "They drown snorkeling"
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by arlflyer
It's just as much a myth to say that duty-free is never a good value.

I always check duty-free liquor when traveling abroad. While a good majority of the choices are no bargain compared to what I can buy at home, I almost always find a few things that are bargains. For example, Cointreau liquor overseas is frequently as cheap as 1/2 the price I pay at discount stores in the US.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:13 pm

That you have to get to the airport at least 3h before departure. Well, OK, I can think of some airports where this may be the case, but Gatwick isn't one of them.
I see this at DAB all the time. In fact, one can generally distinguish locals from those from out of town by how far in advance they show up for their flight. While most locals would know that one does not need to show up more than 1 hour in advance, I have seen many people show up 2-3 hours in advance and be unpleasantly surprised to see that there isn't much to do there.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FlipGFlop
The Honeymoon story is true for my wife and I albeit from the days when one used a travel agent to book flights.

We were sitting at the gate on for our BA flight to Paris and I was asked to return to the desk. The GA took my economy boarding cards and tore them up BEFORE telling me we'd been upgraded to business. After I'd recovered from the shock, I could see his screen and it said 'honeymooners'. Looks like the Travel Agent ahead told them.
Admittedly, LONPAR ET->CE is not too much of an 'upgrade' in the first place...
(it can even be more convenient to take eurostar/eurolines)
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, DL D360
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
It's just as much a myth to say that duty-free is never a good value.

I always check duty-free liquor when traveling abroad. While a good majority of the choices are no bargain compared to what I can buy at home, I almost always find a few things that are bargains. For example, Cointreau liquor overseas is frequently as cheap as 1/2 the price I pay at discount stores in the US.
My husband's favored high end single malt scotch is much cheaper at the duty-free stores in Europe than it is in our home state of Washington. I can save $50-75/bottle on it compared to buying at home.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K
Originally Posted by crabbing
my favorite myths, in no particular order:

5. laptops aren't allowed in seatback pockets because they pose a danger to passengers.
I don't think this is a myth, heavier electronic devices need to be stowed to prevent being projectiles (we can argue whether you'd have bigger issues if that happens during landings).
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jill5172
My husband's favored high end single malt scotch is much cheaper at the duty-free stores in Europe than it is in our home state of Washington. I can save $50-75/bottle on it compared to buying at home.
Which one is that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.