Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are passport cards not more popular?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are passport cards not more popular?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SimonB77
Not sure if this was pointed out, but your Passport Card can be used as proof of US citizenship to renew a passport book. Or to replace a lost passport book. This means no pulling your hair out to get a copy of your birth certificate.

Here is a unique situation that may occur with a frequent int traveler in need of renewing their passport. The catch is they have an immediate trip and can't travel without it. So instead of sending in their passport, they can send in the card with the renewal application.
Are you sure you can renew a passport book without sending in the current passport book, assuming that it hasn't been reported as lost or stolen? I'm asking because when the passport book is renewed, something is done physically (punching holes or sometimes marking it as cancelled) to make the old one invalid.

Where I think this would work is if one is applying for a second USA passport to use for visa applications or for travel to certain countries.

Originally Posted by gopherbgone
I always carry both the passport card and the global entry when I travel by car, by air or internationally. But I never get to show off both those cards as I wanted to. In international they asked for the passport book and inside the US, they want to see your drivers license. I still like having them both with me, just in case .
I don't know who is the "they" who wants to see a divers license, but the passport card is legal ID for travel. This includes airline personnel and TSA airport security. Unless driving is involved (stopped by a cop for a moving violation or renting a car), there is absolutely no reason for anyone to see your driver's license.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MADPhil
The other alternative ID is your GE card if you have one.
They always say this, but my GE card looks like a high schooler's fake ID. I wasn't even really looking at the camera (didn't realize she was going to take my picture right then).
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The passport card seems more like an official ID to more common people than the Global Entry card.

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
That link seems to be from a guide for carriers, and is the official policy.

However, given that a birth certificate is valid for entry to Canada:

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#_s2a

I think it is likely that a passport card would be accepted at the airport port of entry if one ever made it there. However, I doubt the airline would let someone travel from the US to Canada without a passport booklet, as the US requires that all passengers carry a passport booklet or NEXUS card to leave the country.
I've seen CBSA at YYZ and another Canadian airport accept US passport cards -- not mine -- as proof of citizenship and identity for purposes of admissibility to Canada in conjunction with certified birth certificates and regular driving licenses from the U.S. But I've not only seen but also had my passport card rejected by CBSA at Canadian airports when I've tried to use them but did not care to make life unnecessarily difficult for myself and/or others.

It's really not that hard to get on a flight to Canada with a passport but then end up at CBSA airport checkpoint without a passport.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 14, 2015 at 8:22 am
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
They always say this, but my GE card looks like a high schooler's fake ID. I wasn't even really looking at the camera (didn't realize she was going to take my picture right then).
As someone who made fake IDs in high school (as a yearbook fundraiser, since we had all of the equipment), I take offense to your comments! Our IDs looked even more real than the State's driver's licenses at the time.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Passport cards are good for getting speeding tickets too. I accidentally handed it to the officer with my registration and insurance last time I got pulled over. I did not realize it was not my DL until she handed it back to me, with a ticket. I was surprised that she didn't ask for the DL to ensure I was in possession of it, but my DL number came through off the registration/insurance.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:06 pm

I use mine all the time here n Europe. Just this week I used it to exchange some money, and as an ID when paying for things with my Mastercard. It's much more convenient to carry than the Passport book

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.