Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are passport cards not more popular?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are passport cards not more popular?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
The Passport Card can serve two purposes:

1. Proof of Identity / DOB
2. Proof of U.S. Citizenship

The Global Entry Card does not provide proof of U.S. citizenship.

When you apply for any jobs in the U.S., you are required to fill out form I-9 to certify employment eligibility. As citizen, you can use either the passport card (or the book) ALONE, or have your DL + SS card.

Having a passport card eliminates the need for a SS card at all. You just need to remember your number.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
It would not be worth the expense to do this for everyone, just to catch both of them.
Those passport cards can be produce cheap massively if enough people are sign up for it. The State Department should partner with the DMVs to get application intake when people apply for their IDs or DLs.

By making the passport card the de facto national ID, for that you can stamp out many issues with voter ID fraud and welfare fraud.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:25 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by neutralist
Those passport cards can be produce cheap massively if enough people are sign up for it. The State Department should partner with the DMVs to get application intake when people apply for their IDs or DLs.
They are already partnering with the DMVs of relevant states to issue enhanced driver's licenses, which are essentially driver's licenses and passport cards rolled into one.

By making the passport card the de facto national ID, for that you can stamp out many issues with voter ID fraud and welfare fraud.
There is no way the American public is going to stand for a national ID card, de facto or otherwise. Even the UK government had to scrap their national ID plan after public outrage, and Americans are far more skeptical about excess government power than Britons.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:30 am

Location: New Jersey most of the time, also Germany, California and Florida for family and other places for business.
Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold. Global Entry since 2014
We got one for our 9 year old daughter when it was time to renew her Passport Book. We keep the book locked up for when we travel int'l, but we carry her card with us as it's the perfect ID.

Michael and Silke
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by cbn42
There is no way the American public is going to stand for a national ID card, de facto or otherwise. Even the UK government had to scrap their national ID plan after public outrage, and Americans are far more skeptical about excess government power than Britons.
It might actually work - the people most inclined to oppose it on the grounds of federal overreach / excess government power are also a lot of the same people who complain about voter fraud, welfare fraud, illegal immigration, etc. If it was pitched as partially a means to address that, it might make it easier to swallow politically.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:01 am

Why don't people get them? Probably because they're near-useless for the vast majority? Unless you live in a border state, it doesn't serve any useful purpose. Even then, I'd still advocate for people to get GE/Nexus. Any perceived hassle of obtaining GE/Nexus (I had to drive 2 hours each way to my interview) is easily saved the first time you use PreCheck at a busy airport or are clearing customs. The first round-trip flight I took with PreCheck easily saved me 45-90 minutes of waiting at the TSA checkpoint each way.

I have Global Entry, which I use when people/places request ID. The GE card has a photo, name, DOB, and that's it. All of the other information on it is going to be useless to anyone in the private sector (like nosey HOAs, etc.) and I suspect much of the public sector wouldn't be able to do much with the information on it either.

A DL which is very much an open book with plenty of databases to look up DL numbers. The GE card also has NO mag stripe so you don't get put into various unknown databases when the checkout counter girl decides to swipe your ID through their cash register when you're trying to buy a good bottle of wine.

On being accepted, I've had more issues with TSA accepting my old Florida DL (the old laminated ones) than GE card. Never had an issue with anyone in the private sector complaining about it. I've had various people do a double-take at the GE card and think it's some sort of security clearance (they're kind of right) or diplomat card.

I keep all of my important docs scanned and stored encrypted on my Alfresco server (awesome program BTW!) and can retrieve any of them with my phone/tablet/PC. I usually do a "wallet dump" once every few months and scan everything in, right down to the Duane Reade card. I also have all of my medical records on there in case I may need them. This actually has been very useful domestically since American doctors offices are near-useless when it comes to having test results for tests they didn't specifically order.

The Passport Card can serve two purposes:

1. Proof of Identity / DOB
2. Proof of U.S. Citizenship

The Global Entry Card does not provide proof of U.S. citizenship.
Re #1 -- my GE card has my DOB on the front of it.
Re #2 -- my GE card flat out says on the front of it: Citizen/Citoyenneté/Ciudadanía: USA. (My GE card's sitting on the desk next to me)

What does irk me is that neither a Passport Card nor Global Entry/Nexus card will get you back into the USA. The irony is that they will get you into Canada.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW

Re #1 -- my GE card has my DOB on the front of it.
Re #2 -- my GE card flat out says on the front of it: Citizen/Citoyenneté/Ciudadanía: USA. (My GE card's sitting on the desk next to me)

What does irk me is that neither a Passport Card nor Global Entry/Nexus card will get you back into the USA. The irony is that they will get you into Canada.
I thought even permanent residents can get GE.

to add more irony, GE/Nexus cards are not "List A" documents for employment verification purposes, even for U.S. citizens:

http://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/acc...list-documents
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cbn42
They are already partnering with the DMVs of relevant states to issue enhanced driver's licenses, which are essentially driver's licenses and passport cards rolled into one.

The difference is that an (enhanced) driver's license contains your home address.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA
Any idea if the PP card would be accepted as identification to board (domestic only) for those of us who live in a state which has refused to update drivers licenses to the DHS version?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Jmill79
Any idea if the PP card would be accepted as identification to board (domestic only) for those of us who live in a state which has refused to update drivers licenses to the DHS version?
Yes.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:28 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I was told by the consul at a U.S. consulate that my having the passport card with me made issuance of a same-day temporary passport substantially easier. This was in SCL.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
I carry four ID's (yea, I know). State DL, different state ID, passport and passport card. I keep these in three different locations when traveling.

The passport card is what I use at TSA (domestic) and at hotels. Hotels are reserved using the company address. If I take out my state ids the clerks will try to change the address to the ID address. Using the passport card bypasses this.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Jmill79
TSA's accepted my Costco card as ID before. This was after they refused to accept my Florida DL.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by KRSW
TSA's accepted my Costco card as ID before. This was after they refused to accept my Florida DL.
:facepalm:
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:00 pm

The following happened to me shortly after receiving my passport card. I was driving while brown in a Southern state:

I was detained on my way to work by a police officer. He called for backup before exiting his patrol car. In a few minutes there were 3 more police car coming to the scene, in total 8 officers. The 1st officer came over and ask me for my license and registration. He went back to the patrol car and input the information. He came back with 3 other officers, two on each side of my car. He asked me if I had any tatoos on by body, and to pull up my right sleeve. I don't have any body art. He then asked me about my travel history. After answering his questions he went back to his patrol car, while 2 of the other officers kept an eye on me. About 1/2 an hour passed and I told one of the officers that I had another ID, and gave him my passport card. He went to the 1st officer's car and gave him my card. Less than 3 minutes later the 1st police officer came back gave me my documents back and told me have a nice day. After that day I realized and appreciated the convenience of the passport card, because it not only is good for identifying the person, but it also indicates he/she is a national and/or citizen of the USA.

I told my mother to get the passport card because her only government issued ID @ that time was her passport. She could use her passport card as her every day ID, and keep her passport secured @ home. Also, we that live in a US colony in the Caribbean(USVI) need to clear Custom/Immigration when leaving the islands. The passport card is the most convenient way to show identity and nationality/citizenship. Also being next to the BVI and having very close ties with our neighbors, we can visit our friends and family without hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.