Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are passport cards not more popular?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are passport cards not more popular?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by KRSW
TSA's accepted my Costco card as ID before. This was after they refused to accept my Florida DL.
Well I feel safe. My Costco pic is barely identifiable as much more than a black and while blob.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jmill79
Well I feel safe. My Costco pic is barely identifiable as much more than a black and while blob.
Remember, the TSA's charter was to make the kettles feel safer not actually improve airport security.

I know a few retired Secret Service agents who have a few choice words to say about their agency's new owner (DHS), but I'll save that for OMNI.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by glynncruzan
After that day I realized and appreciated the convenience of the passport card, because it not only is good for identifying the person, but it also indicates he/she is a national and/or citizen of the USA.
With the current situation of the police state coupled with all these illegals murdering innocent people like Kate Steinle it is better safe than sorry
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:24 pm

I always thought it was ridiculous that the US won't accept the card for entry at the airport. If it's good enough for a land border crossing, it should be good enough for arrival by air.

Last edited by BigFlyer; Jul 9, 2015 at 10:33 pm
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I always thought it was ridiculous that the US won't accept the card for entry at the airport. If it's good enough for a land border crossing, it should be good enough for arrival by air.
+1 -- Unlike land travel, CBP has advance notice of whose traveling via air. If anything, it's land travel where the narcotics and other illegal goods (and people!) are smuggled through and should have a higher standard of admissibility.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:01 pm

I always carry both the passport card and the global entry when I travel by car, by air or internationally. But I never get to show off both those cards as I wanted to. In international they asked for the passport book and inside the US, they want to see your drivers license. I still like having them both with me, just in case .
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
Originally Posted by KRSW
+1 -- Unlike land travel, CBP has advance notice of whose traveling via air. If anything, it's land travel where the narcotics and other illegal goods (and people!) are smuggled through and should have a higher standard of admissibility.
My understanding is it is to avoid confusion. People would start leaving their books home thinking the card is enough. Because other countries only accept the passport book. Plus its another way for CBP to verify some of your statements based on visa stamps.

As far as the usefulness of the passport card goes, your mileage will vary. However it is a great way to get an ID card for minors. Even if you are not planning international travel, you can just apply for the card.

Not sure if this was pointed out, but your Passport Card can be used as proof of US citizenship to renew a passport book. Or to replace a lost passport book. This means no pulling your hair out to get a copy of your birth certificate.

Here is a unique situation that may occur with a frequent int traveler in need of renewing their passport. The catch is they have an immediate trip and can't travel without it. So instead of sending in their passport, they can send in the card with the renewal application.

Just some more food for thought.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 11:29 am

Actually, while many other countries would require a passport booklet - Canada, which is a major destination, does not require a passport for US citizens coming from the US. Europeans are smart enough to know they can use their National ID cards to enter certain countries (and not just EU countries, e.g., Turkey), one would think that Americans could figure out (and trust me, there are a lot of dumb Europeans.)

Originally Posted by SimonB77
My understanding is it is to avoid confusion. People would start leaving their books home thinking the card is enough. Because other countries only accept the passport book. Plus its another way for CBP to verify some of your statements based on visa stamps.

klm visa
Old Jul 12, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Actually, while many other countries would require a passport booklet - Canada, which is a major destination, does not require a passport for US citizens coming from the US. Europeans are smart enough to know they can use their National ID cards to enter certain countries (and not just EU countries, e.g., Turkey), one would think that Americans could figure out (and trust me, there are a lot of dumb Europeans.)
Bolding mine.

I thought this only applies when arriving via land or sea?

My understanding is that arriving to Canada from the US via air still requires a passport book. I've never tried flying with just a passport card, but I'm carrying both to Canada in a couple weeks so perhaps I'll try just using the card (and will have my passport book in my pocket if needed).
Old Jul 12, 2015, 12:21 pm

I said a passport book is not required - but, not sure that Canada accepts a passport card.

Per Timatic, US Citizens arriving from the US to Canada by air may present proof of citizenship in lieu of a passport - the examples given include Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, Nexus card.

However, the US requires you to leave the US by air in possession of a US passport booklet or nexus card - so the airline may deny you boarding without a passport booklet or Nexus card. And, Canadian immigration might wonder why you do not have a passport booklet with you if you present something other than a Nexus card.

Originally Posted by gooselee
Bolding mine.

I thought this only applies when arriving via land or sea?

My understanding is that arriving to Canada from the US via air still requires a passport book. I've never tried flying with just a passport card, but I'm carrying both to Canada in a couple weeks so perhaps I'll try just using the card (and will have my passport book in my pocket if needed).
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I said a passport book is not required - but, not sure that Canada accepts a passport card.

Per Timatic, US Citizens arriving from the US to Canada by air may present proof of citizenship in lieu of a passport - the examples given include Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, Nexus card.

However, the US requires you to leave the US by air in possession of a US passport booklet or nexus card - so the airline may deny you boarding without a passport booklet or Nexus card. And, Canadian immigration might wonder why you do not have a passport booklet with you if you present something other than a Nexus card.
Ok yes, but I read a bit into your post since this is a thread about passport cards, and since it was in reply to a comment about people leaving their passport books behind if they thought that a passport card was sufficient for entry.

There are of course many other suitable documents for Canada and other countries. Many cruises to Mexico and the Caribbean also allow birth certificates to be used in lieu of a passport. But the passport book remains the standard at present.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:44 pm

I would think the Canadians would allow entry with a passport card - the list of documents I provided from Timatic did not purport to be an exclusive list, and the passport card is certainly irrefutable proof of US Nationality - and they see them at the land border all the time so it's not like its an unknown document to them.

Originally Posted by gooselee
Ok yes, but I read a bit into your post since this is a thread about passport cards, and since it was in reply to a comment about people leaving their passport books behind if they thought that a passport card was sufficient for entry.

There are of course many other suitable documents for Canada and other countries. Many cruises to Mexico and the Caribbean also allow birth certificates to be used in lieu of a passport. But the passport book remains the standard at present.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I would think the Canadians would allow entry with a passport card - the list of documents I provided from Timatic did not purport to be an exclusive list, and the passport card is certainly irrefutable proof of US Nationality - and they see them at the land border all the time so it's not like its an unknown document to them.
Passport card valid entry to Canada via land or marine travel only.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:58 pm

That link seems to be from a guide for carriers, and is the official policy.

However, given that a birth certificate is valid for entry to Canada:

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#_s2a

I think it is likely that a passport card would be accepted at the airport port of entry if one ever made it there. However, I doubt the airline would let someone travel from the US to Canada without a passport booklet, as the US requires that all passengers carry a passport booklet or NEXUS card to leave the country.

Originally Posted by seawolf
Passport card valid entry to Canada via land or marine travel only.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
That link seems to be from a guide for carriers, and is the official policy.

However, given that a birth certificate is valid for entry to Canada:

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#_s2a

I think it is likely that a passport card would be accepted at the airport port of entry if one ever made it there. However, I doubt the airline would let someone travel from the US to Canada without a passport booklet, as the US requires that all passengers carry a passport booklet or NEXUS card to leave the country.
It is the official US policy. Not just a loose guideline. Here is the link so you can read it from the horses mouth.

US Passport Card

In any case it would be interesting to see what would happen if someone somehow made it on a flight with just the Card.

I see others mentioned Birth Certificates and such for Cruises. Yes there are still specific instances where they can be used. But it's truly not worth the hassle. Many of the loop holes concerning Birth Certificates have been closed. Much easier just to apply for a passport. If you can afford a cruise, you can certainly afford a passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.