Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are passport cards not more popular?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I don't think we even have these in Canada. Sounds like a decent idea though, I'd tick the box if there was an option!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

There was another thread somewhere about what to do with your passport when abroad.

Depending on where exactly I am, I keep my passport book either on me in a hidden pocket or in the hotel safe. My passport card I keep more readily available and use as ID if needed when out and about. Somewhat more discreet, and more readily recognized than a US drivers license in some places.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I don't think we even have these in Canada. Sounds like a decent idea though, I'd tick the box if there was an option!
It's fairly new in the states, I don't think any other countries really do it yet.

They came out with the passport card just as I was applying for my passport. I received my card about a month after they started printing them. (My card # is C003XXXXX so it's a fairly early card). Major changes to things like passports/other federal IDs usually happen slowly.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dasanmarco
It's fairly new in the states
2008, to be exact.

The whole rationale for not allowing it for air travel is moot since you can use a Nexus card for that purpose.

Originally Posted by sbm12
Well, $30 v $0 is still $30 more than I can imagine a scenario where it would be useful.
I compeletely agree. Just something else to keep track of.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Jul 5, 2015 at 3:43 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Yeah, but I'm talking about something that applies to the majority of americans who travel. < 1% of americans are enrolled into trusted traveler programs, whereas pretty much everyone who travels a fair amount will have a passport, and a card comes w/ the passport with no additional effort and an insignificant ($3 / year) fee.
Except the card has no real benefit that is not already covered by a passport other than taking the Ready Lane crossing in a vehicle. Even if I don't have NEXUS, I don't envision any benefit to the passport card.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:57 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Other countries have national ID cards - the US doesn't.

I got a border crossing card when I renewed my passport a few years ago. I got it because I no longer have a US driver's license and I do make occasional trips to and within the US and I do not want to use my passport as an ID in the US. Why? Because busybody TSA ID checkers have flipped through my passport looking at the numerous stamps in it and it is none of their $#*& business where I have traveled internationally - they only need to match my ID with my boarding pass. I did have a TSA ID checker ask to see my passport when I presented my border crossing ID when going through security to get on an international flight. I responded that I presented him with with valid US government approved ID (the border crossing card) and that I had a passport that had already been checked by the airline and I was not going to provide it to him to check as it was unnecessary.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:47 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Other countries have national ID cards - the US doesn't.

I got a border crossing card when I renewed my passport a few years ago. I got it because I no longer have a US driver's license and I do make occasional trips to and within the US and I do not want to use my passport as an ID in the US. Why? Because busybody TSA ID checkers have flipped through my passport looking at the numerous stamps in it and it is none of their $#*& business where I have traveled internationally - they only need to match my ID with my boarding pass. I did have a TSA ID checker ask to see my passport when I presented my border crossing ID when going through security to get on an international flight. I responded that I presented him with with valid US government approved ID (the border crossing card) and that I had a passport that had already been checked by the airline and I was not going to provide it to him to check as it was unnecessary.
When I have a flight leaving the US but with a domestic segment first, I just stuff the international BP into my pocket and show my driver's license. You could do that with your card, since you don't have the license anymore.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
Originally Posted by nerd
Since it only costs $30 and is valid for 10 years, it's hard to argue how it's not worth getting it for that "edge case" where you need a backup ID.
Well, $30 v $0 is still $30 more than I can imagine a scenario where it would be useful.
A government-issued ID that costs you next to nothing? It's a no-brainer.

Hard to imagine a scenario where it would be useful? What's your backup plan if something were to happen to your passport and driver's license?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Hard to imagine a scenario where it would be useful? What's your backup plan if something were to happen to your passport and driver's license?
Well he's one of the few that has global entry so it actually has little value to him since he has the GE card.

Otherwise if you have a passport and a license that you take with you, and you leave the passport card at home, it'll make it a lot easier to replace the passport and license if you lose them on your trip than if you got nothing.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
And if you are traveling w/ someone, you could exchange passport cards and place in wallet. So if one loses wallet, the other person has their ID.

The plus is that it is small. I have one, it is very handy.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:19 pm
Original Member

The same can be said if you lose your DL, passport, and passport card, what's the backup plan then?

Otherwise if you have a passport and a license that you take with you, and you leave the passport card at home, it'll make it a lot easier to replace the passport and license if you lose them on your trip than if you got nothing.
Easier but not necessary. As an example, NY drivers license can be replaced online and mailed to address on file.

As for passport, it doesn't appear the passport card is even accepted as proof of US citizenship (another negative for the card vs. an actual passport) for passport application purposes.

As for proof of ID for passport replacement, there are a number of ways to meet that requirement including waiting for the driver license replacement.

Can the passport card function as an ID, yes, but there are definitely more useful alternatives available and I'm guessing for many people who don't travel that often, replacing a lost ID when it is actually lost is a better deal than paying $30 for something that may never happen. If one are prone at misplacing stuff, then sure this is a good deal but for some that are careful with their important documents, then it's just a $30 piece of plastic.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
As for passport, it doesn't appear the passport card is even accepted as proof of US citizenship (another negative for the card vs. an actual passport) for passport application purposes./
Where did you see that passport cards aren't proof of citizenship?

Can the passport card function as an ID, yes, but there are definitely more useful alternatives available and I'm guessing for many people who don't travel that often, replacing a lost ID when it is actually lost is a better deal than paying $30 for something that may never happen. If one are prone at misplacing stuff, then sure this is a good deal but for some that are careful with their important documents, then it's just a $30 piece of plastic.
Are you kidding?

If you've lost both of your primary photo ID's, guaranteed that you would gladly wish you'd spend that $30 for a backup.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

The same can be said if you lose your DL, passport, and passport card, what's the backup plan then?

Easier but not necessary. As an example, NY drivers license can be replaced online and mailed to address on file.

As for passport, it doesn't appear the passport card is even accepted as proof of US citizenship (another negative for the card vs. an actual passport) for passport application purposes.

As for proof of ID for passport replacement, there are a number of ways to meet that requirement including waiting for the driver license replacement.

If you travel with 2 IDs and leave 1 at home, it's much less likely that you lose them than if you travel with 2 IDs and have nothing at home.

Also:

http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/passportcard/
a US embassy website states

"When outside the United States and the above mentioned countries, the passport card can be used as a valid citizenship identification"

I find it hard to believe that a government agency would not accept a passport card as proof of citizenship when the requirements to get one are exactly the same as a book.

Edit:
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/212241.pdf

If you look at the government form to get a new passport, you can submit a passport card as proof of citizenship. I don't know about you, but the only proof of citzenship I have is my passport and passport card, so if I lose one I'll be glad to have the other to get the other document replaced.

Last edited by dasanmarco; Jul 5, 2015 at 8:31 pm
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:08 pm

I got a passport card a while back because living in Michigan, it was something that was convenient if we happened to decide to head over to Canada without planning, since I just kept it in my wallet. That said, I probably won't renew it since I have nexus now, and don't really see the point in having it as an additional card. (Heck, I just ran across it this weekend while doing some cleaning, forgotten that I'd put it there.)

For those living in border states, it's not all that unreasonable of an idea to have, but I'm not sure it's as useful for people that don't live in border states.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:01 pm
Original Member

If you've lost both of your primary photo ID's, guaranteed that you would gladly wish you'd spend that $30 for a backup.
If you are addressing me personally, then, again, if I lose my primary photo IDs, I would just go on to NY DMV website and order a replacement DL online; I don't even need to leave the house. So I'm still not seeing any need for the passport card.

I can see where you and dasanmarco are going with this but unlike life/car/home insurance etc, the loss of ID is by no means catastrophic especially if you have the true backups which would be the birth certificate, naturalization papers etc. This combined with other documents such as expired DL/ expired passport/SSN/credit card etc will get your replacement DL.

Looking at the top five populous state's DL replacement requirements.
  1. Passport card does not appear on list of acceptable documents for CA.
  2. Recognized by TX.
  3. Online replacement for FL
  4. Online replacement for NY.
  5. In IL, the passport card is only accepted to prove DOB, you still need other documents to replace a DL.
Out of the five most populous states, the passport card is only fully recognized as a primary identification document in TX. Passport card is, IMO, a useless piece of plastic especially since it's functionality is limited and whatever functionality it has can be replicated by other documents.

Where did you see that passport cards aren't proof of citizenship?

Are you kidding?
Was looking at DS-11 where passport card was not listed as proof of citizenship but it is listed on DS-82.

Last edited by seawolf; Jul 5, 2015 at 11:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.