Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do people show off with their gadgets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone else noticed that some people go over the top in trying to show off their Apple iPads or Macs or those Beats headphones etc? I literally had this guy at the terminal who had all sorts of wires hanging out from him hogging up all the plugs. Then to my horror he is seated right next to me and entire flight he kept getting up and down trying to use his laptop, put it back, or grab his iPad and try to charge it on the screen so it was pretty annoying. Thankfully the flight wasnt fully booked so I changed my seat.

Am I only one who doesn't have such important stuff/business deals going on and simply enjoying my travel for what its worth. Im sure you guys have noticed such too, there is always a few of them who arent like doing anything but more concerned about showing off such things and simply trying to look cool and all that?

Last edited by Zulazai; Jun 10, 2015 at 3:18 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Is that the sound of jealousy?

LOL
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tiltingatwindmills
Is that the sound of jealousy?

LOL

LOL. Sorry for the rant but just needed to get it off my chest since it was blatantly obvious.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:37 pm

Maybe they are just entertaining themselves? That's what I do with my ipad on planes and in airports --read a book, play a game, surf the web, whatever. No important deals going on, just trying to pass the time.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:38 pm

it was probably a DYKWIA style that irked you!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Doesn't bother me if someone feels the immature need to show off their belongings. I would've been mildly annoyed if the guy kept getting up and down for trivial reasons, but that's traveling with the public for you, I guess.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I doubt he was "showing off" - Beats, iPad, Mac...all of that is mass-market consumer grade kit. Highly doubtful he was using any of it to do any kind of business deal.

I would imagine he was just being annoying.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

using something like a portable computer = showing off ?

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Am I showing off when I wander around the airport looking at my phone with my Bose headphones on or around my neck, and maybe my laptop in my hand if I've been working and trying to upload/download/email something while getting to my gate?
thats what OP was saying

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 10, 2015 at 4:26 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I could see how him getting up multiple times would be annoying, but have never thought of those sorts of situations as "showing off". Sometimes people just tote around a lot of stuff. Am I showing off when I wander around the airport looking at my phone with my Bose headphones on or around my neck, and maybe my laptop in my hand if I've been working and trying to upload/download/email something while getting to my gate?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:30 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

I have 1-2 laptops, iPhone, windows phone, and a nexus 7. Sometimes I forget to charge and have them all out. Sometimes we get delayed and I watch all the content on my tablet and need to do a quick copy from the laptop. I always book aisle seats so I'm not bugging anyone but I tend to get up and down a lot in these cases... Not showing off.

I don't have beats headphones though because I think they suck...
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:32 pm

I don't know if that fella was showing off but it's pretty obvious why people show off gadgets. The same reason people show off they're flying first class or are a super elite, or have a sports car, have a yacht, wear Italian designer gear, have more athletic bodies etc.

Differentiation, status, confirmation...
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
And some people show off their cars..
and some people hang 10 elite tags on their bag..

Compensating for other things is usually the reason....
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold

Honestly why do you care
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
OP, do you have a Smart phone ? If yes doesn't that feel like showing off to a person who only has a cheap $20 phone ?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:08 pm

Bored?

Maybe the guy is bored and keeps switching items to stay entertained or burn off energy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.