Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do people show off with their gadgets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do people show off with their gadgets?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by LTBoston
That's what I was talking about. Cord dangling, not plugged into anything.
I think I must confuse some people, then, when I wander around with my Backbeat GO earbuds in.

They are never plugged in to anything at all, though they look like they should be.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
That's what I was talking about. Cord dangling, not plugged into anything.
People really do that? I guess I just haven't noticed then!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: *G
my in-ear phones have high degree of noise attenuation. sometimes im not in the music to listen to any music, but i dont want to hear outside noise either.

better weird than hearing loud people in the lounge gabbing on and on
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I don't know if that fella was showing off but it's pretty obvious why people show off gadgets. The same reason people show off they're flying first class or are a super elite, or have a sports car, have a yacht, wear Italian designer gear, have more athletic bodies etc.

Differentiation, status, confirmation...
Insecurity.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Chattersking
Has anyone else noticed that some people go over the top in trying to show off their Apple iPads or Macs or those Beats headphones etc? I literally had this guy at the terminal who had all sorts of wires hanging out from him hogging up all the plugs. Then to my horror he is seated right next to me and entire flight he kept getting up and down trying to use his laptop, put it back, or grab his iPad and try to charge it on the screen so it was pretty annoying. Thankfully the flight wasnt fully booked so I changed my seat.

Am I only one who doesn't have such important stuff/business deals going on and simply enjoying my travel for what its worth. Im sure you guys have noticed such too, there is always a few of them who arent like doing anything but more concerned about showing off such things and simply trying to look cool and all that?
You don't know what the guy had going on. There's not enough information there for you to know he was showing off.

Personally, people who make passive aggressive posts on the internet about things that aren't really a problem bothers me a lot more than other people's material things.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Now if he pulled out a stack of currency in high denominations from various countries and started playing solitaire with them on his airline tray, and then wanted to expand the game into your tray...well that would be showing off.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:52 pm

I always travel with and charge multiple gadgets, mainly because I am paranoid about running out of power in flight.

That said, I will confess to being irrationally annoyed with the guys who walk around the plane or the airport with their Bose noise cancelling headphones on and the cords dangling. It's not so much that I think they're showing off their gadgets. It's that I feel like they're telling the world, "I'm too busy and important to take off my headphones."
Maybe they like to cancel the ambient noise of the airport and the plane since that is what they are designed to do. I will admit thought I take the cord off. Don't want it to fall in the lavatory by mistake. Yuck.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mapleg
Now if he pulled out a stack of currency in high denominations from various countries and started playing solitaire with them on his airline tray, and then wanted to expand the game into your tray...well that would be showing off.
I know it's highly unlikely, but I really want to believe you're speaking from personal experience. That would be amazing.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
I know it's highly unlikely, but I really want to believe you're speaking from personal experience. That would be amazing.
Ha ha--I wish.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:36 pm

The thing I am jealous of was a flight that wasn't fully booked and where there was a little extra room.

Stu
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chattersking
Has anyone else noticed that some people go over the top in trying to show off their Apple iPads or Macs or those Beats headphones etc? I literally had this guy at the terminal who had all sorts of wires hanging out from him hogging up all the plugs. Then to my horror he is seated right next to me and entire flight he kept getting up and down trying to use his laptop, put it back, or grab his iPad and try to charge it on the screen so it was pretty annoying. Thankfully the flight wasnt fully booked so I changed my seat.

Am I only one who doesn't have such important stuff/business deals going on and simply enjoying my travel for what its worth. Im sure you guys have noticed such too, there is always a few of them who arent like doing anything but more concerned about showing off such things and simply trying to look cool and all that?
Likely the person just enjoys his electronic toys as much as I do.

It's fine if you don't enjoy these toys, but let the rest of us have our fun. And finally, "To my horror?" I save horror for things like the recent tragedy in Charleston.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.