Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

pumping etiquette - is there an appropriate reply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

pumping etiquette - is there an appropriate reply?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: Eurobonus Silver
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I know for one thing I would never do that in a plane seat just after take off.
And I would never plan to do it either, but if my choice was to pump or to experience a leak, I'd rather pump than experience a very visible leak
Old May 29, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Men need to understand that western society has elevated breastfeeding from a simple mammalian function to near holy act. Therefore, we cannot under any circumstances proffer even the slightest criticism of breast feeding no matter how, where and why it occurs. Noise, awkwardness, unsightliness are to be quietly tolerated. Avert your eyes, turn up your headset and carry on.
This whole thread would indicate that you can criticise. There are good moral and health reason why women should breastfeed or pump as and when they need to, it's not like they are doing it for fun. I think there are many worse problems to be found on board your average flight, and if you are really bothered the most mature thing to do is ask the CC politely if you can be moved.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgilman
Yes, because you know the details of her life and what's going on with her body.

You were annoyed by something someone else was doing on a plane? Shocking. Suck it up and deal. You're talking about 90 minutes of discomfort.

The lack of empathy on this board, between threads like this and threads about someone with a medical condition asking if they can encroach on someone's arm rest, or a parent asking people to move to sit with a child, makes me worry for humanity.

The constant theme seems to be that the other person should have prepared better, or not expected people to help them out, or somehow you're all living in a David Mamet movie and everyone is out to scam you. Ayn Rand would be proud.

Hopefully, when the end times come, I'll be no where near you people. It's going to be Lord of the Flies pretty quickly with you.

David
Well, Mr. Judgmental, you've weighed in with stern opprobrium of the poor guy whose sleep was disrupted. But just why do you think his need for sleep is less worthy than the woman's need to relieve breast discomfort? Seems to me that both folks deserve some sympathy. And ultimately it's the woman whose needs were met.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Worcester
This whole thread would indicate that you can criticise. There are good moral and health reason why women should breastfeed or pump as and when they need to, it's not like they are doing it for fun. I think there are many worse problems to be found on board your average flight, and if you are really bothered the most mature thing to do is ask the CC politely if you can be moved.
Your post makes my point. It and the majority of responses to the OP dismiss his concerns sometimes in a tone of self-righteousness and condemnation.

What is the "moral" reason to breastfeed/pump in public? The health reasons make sense but "moral?"
Old May 29, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
The fact that the woman was breast pumping is pretty much irrelevant. This is a noise issue on a plane. You can replace 'pumping' with anything that makes noise: snoring, talking, eating, nail clipping.

The OP asks:

I'm just wondering if it woulda been ok to let her know the pumping was annoying? Have you met people? Strangers at that! You wanted to sleep right? What if you made noise when you slept...can someone wake you and ask you to stop? I'm sure you would have been able to tell her the pumping sound was annoying but I'm not sure you'd like her response.

As it turns out, I just stayed quiet and chose not to address the issue. Again, I didn't want to be the "insensitive DUDE" who doesn't value nursing mothers........ thoughts on this delicate issue? The issue is actually that you wanted to sleep but there was noise around you. Unfortunately you would have been the 'insensitive DUDE' had social media caught wind of the situation as it is wont to do. You wouldn't get any sleep and you'd be known as the guy who hates mothers. (For the record I don't think of you that way! )

If you fly often enough you could look into some handy headphones that block out most stuff around you and the next time someone is pumping (or snoring, talking or nail clipping) that will fade into the background as you fall deep into your slumber!

PS: Nail clipping is the worst!
Old May 29, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Badenoch

What is the "moral" reason to breastfeed/pump in public? The health reasons make sense but "moral?"
Choosing to providing that they consider the best start for their child, despite it often being uncomfortable, stressful and in some cases even embarrassing, I feel does come under being a moral issue, personal view though, I realise others may feel differently.

I apolagise if I come across as self righteous, I completely get the noise issue, I am a light sleeper normally have difficulty drifting off on flights at the best of times. I personally feel this is one of those things which we have to accept, it does not happen very often (I don't recall being near a mum who needed to pump during a flight) and there are worse things for keeping you awake on a flight.
Old May 29, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Some of the delicate flowers here just need to stay in their mom's basement where they belong, lest they suffer the horrors of being around actual human beings.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Cabin pressure is typically around 25% below sea level pressure. If the source pressure hasn't changed (and it likely won't until she pumps), then the pressure difference between inside and outside has increased by 25% as the plane's altitude has increase. Larger pressure difference will lead to faster flow. I have no experience at all with the details of pumping, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the change in cabin pressure caused discomfort that led to needing to pump, even if she had done so earlier near sea level.
There won't be any effect--the source pressure is the breast pressure (low) + atmospheric pressure.
Old May 30, 2015, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
There won't be any effect--the source pressure is the breast pressure (low) + atmospheric pressure.
I seem to recall that the OP said he didn't see a kid with the woman.
If so, how was the woman planning to keep the milk cold during the
flight?
Old May 30, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by AppleApe
flight?
No need to keep it cold. It was only a short flight and milk does not go "off" in such a short time.

In any case, perhaps she was just pumping in order to either maintain her supply, or to relieve discomfort. In both those cases, she could have been planning to pump and dump.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by celle
No need to keep it cold. It was only a short flight and milk does not go "off" in such a short time.

In any case, perhaps she was just pumping in order to either maintain her supply, or to relieve discomfort. In both those cases, she could have been planning to pump and dump.
or she was just pumping to "break the ice with strangers" on the plane

at least according to this woman

(video contains talking on the plane only... no display of breasts or breast pump
Old May 30, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by AppleApe
flight?
Lots of pumping moms travel with a small cooler and get ice for a post-security restaurant to keep milk cool. That, or pump and dump as others mentioned.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Diabetic here, I won't shoot up my lifesaving meds in the bathroom for the same reason I wouldn't pump in the bathroom.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lerasp
- pumping in lav - i've done it. some FA are very helpful and look out for you. others less so. i've had people banging on the door irate that i was hoggin the lav (esp on a small plane with 1-2 bathrooms). another issue is turbulence and seatbelt signs. as soon as it goes on, some FAs were demanding i stop and return to my seat. once you are hooked up to the pump, you can't just hit "pause".
Sounds like there would be a market for a pump system that you can wear and do other things while it runs.
Old May 30, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Whenever I fly, I carry disposable foam ear plugs. Lighter (and cheaper) than noise-canceling headphones.
I have custom-made earplugs for the shape of my ear. The main reason I have them is to be able to swim after having had eardrum surgery [that wasn't a fun experience :-( ] but I've come to find that wearing them on planes feels amazing!! It's so much quieter for me now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.