Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

pumping etiquette - is there an appropriate reply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by LTBoston
Then someone would have been complaining about the inconsiderate woman who hogged the lav on a crowded plane so she could pump.

It was a morning flight. I would never take a daytime flight with any expectation that I'd be able to nap.
That reminded me of a TATL flight about a year ago. I was in the
upper deck and two women in front of me had heated and loud
argument over which was best for babies.... breast milk or formula
in a bottle. At one point, it appeared that they were about to start
a fist fight over it, until the flight attendant cooled them down.
Wish I took more than just a couple of years of German so I could
understood more about what they were saying.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle

Get real, man. Stop whining.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by lerasp
- to pump, you need at least 30min block of time. when traveling, knowing for certain you can stay put for 30 min is sometimes very difficult to plan for. i've had time while traveling that a 45min flight was the only 30-min period i had within a 2-3 hour window (between security, gate changes, boarding, delays, takeoff, landing, waiting for gate, tight connection, etc).
- pumping in lav - i've done it. some FA are very helpful and look out for you. others less so. i've had people banging on the door irate that i was hoggin the lav (esp on a small plane with 1-2 bathrooms). another issue is turbulence and seatbelt signs. as soon as it goes on, some FAs were demanding i stop and return to my seat. once you are hooked up to the pump, you can't just hit "pause".
These are good points. Thanks for explaining them. Finding a period of 30 uninterrupted minutes while traveling definitely is difficult. I've never been bothered by a woman pumping in public, but now I will be even more understanding.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by lerasp
as a traveling, pumping mama, i'd like to add my $0.02. besides all that has been mentioned above:
- to pump, you need at least 30min block of time. when traveling, knowing for certain you can stay put for 30 min is sometimes very difficult to plan for. i've had time while traveling that a 45min flight was the only 30-min period i had within a 2-3 hour window (between security, gate changes, boarding, delays, takeoff, landing, waiting for gate, tight connection, etc).
- pumping in lav - i've done it. some FA are very helpful and look out for you. others less so. i've had people banging on the door irate that i was hoggin the lav (esp on a small plane with 1-2 bathrooms). another issue is turbulence and seatbelt signs. as soon as it goes on, some FAs were demanding i stop and return to my seat. once you are hooked up to the pump, you can't just hit "pause".
-i've pumped in seat and i can assure you this was my absolute last choice when i couldn't come up with any other feasible option.
-pumping schedule is pretty tight. early on, you may feed every 2 hours (and that's from start to start, not from end to start), so you have 1 hr max maybe between end of one feeding to start of another. pumping has to stay on same schedule or else you may loose your supply.
-airport is not always easier to pump. most airports don't have private bathrooms/rooms. regular bathrooms usually lack electric outlets or any place to put the pump (it doesn't reach if placed on the floor and you can't keep all parts on your knees as things will fall). gate areas are usually pretty crowded and even more exposed being out in full view of multitudes of people.
i don't know any pumping mother who likes to travel and deal with pumping, but due to lack of maternity leave in the US, for some of us it's the choice between having a job or not.
I have to admit, when I first read the OP's post my thought was how uncomfortable I would be if that had been me. I didn't really consider how it is likely uncomfortable for the woman as well. I appreciate Lerasp explaining what its like from a woman's point of view. Its difficult to have empathy for someone when you have no idea what an experience is like for them, and since this topic is something that's rarely discussed from a woman's point of view we don't often get that opportunity.

While I've never ran into this when flying, I'm sure I'll be more understanding going forward having at least some idea of what its like.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by mickeydfly13
Get real, man. Stop whining.
++

Bring headphones and/or ear plugs next time.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
++

Bring headphones and/or ear plugs next time.
don't forget eyeshades.

there are wars and other terrible stuff going on around the world and people are worried about seeing ladies pumping their breasts on airplanes?
Old May 29, 2015, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
If the lady pulled her boob out in row 5 and showed the guy next to her it would be a huge issue however attach a breast pump on to it and it's ok to pull your boob out.

We had that happen at work. One lady started to use a breast pump at the crowded lunch table without even turning away for privacy. I don't want to see your boobs as I eat my ham and salad roll. Someone else said the same thing so although we had to put up with the noise she turned away so we didn't have to see anything.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
I'm sure that pumping on a flight was not that woman's first choice, but it might have been her only choice.
Travelling without her child, early in the morning, her breasts would have been full and uncomfortable. Someone who's experienced that would understand just how uncomfortable it can be. (Been there, experienced that.)

If the flight took place at a time when she would normally have been feeding her child, her breasts could have "let down" and leaked milk onto her clothes - embarrassing and uncomfortable. It's not like controlling your bladder - a woman can't prevent this from happening. (Been there, had it happen.)

While I sympathise with the OP's desire to sleep on that flight, I sympathise even more with the woman.
Old May 29, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: Eurobonus Silver
Originally Posted by paul4040
Have any women commented on this thread?

Just a thought.
I should maybe have pointed out in my post that I'm a woman, and a mother of two.
I live in a city where you even at some public coffee shops get a free cake for breastfeeding, but still understand that this is not the case in the rest of the world and some might find it uncomfortable to witness someone pumping if they didn't cover themselves. Again, I'm sure she would have preferred to do it elsewhere (not the lavatory) and I don't see any mentioning of her not trying to cover up, as it was the sound that was the complaint here, not whether he saw or not saw her breast.

I am sorry the OP didn't get any sleep, but there are a hundred other reasons why his sleep could have been interrupted (it's a flight and a public place) so my sympathies also lies with the woman here. And as already mentioned, a lavatory is not a proper place for pumping, as it is not especially hygienic and it would block the access to the lavatory for quite an amount of time.
Old May 29, 2015, 3:37 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I am not a women but I do work in the baby product sector and we have worked with a number of breast feeding bloggers and actively promote mums right to Breastfeed.

I know from this and my wife's experience that breastfeeding is not easy, especially to begin with and many women have a perception that is is second nature and get distressed when they find it is not.

Any number of factors can reduce milk flow one of the big ones being irregular feedings (or pumpings), so there is good reason for a mum to need to pump on a plane. A build up of milk can also lead to the painful condition of Mastitis , which 1 in ten breastfeeding mums will get at some point. Mum's are not doing this to annoy anyone, they are simply doing what they feel is best for their baby.

We may not all be a mum but we were all at one time a baby, it would be great it we could have a bit more empathy.

Not every mum can breastfeed and no one should be made to feel guilty for not Breastfeeding. Breastfeeding has some advantages, but formula is not bad.
Old May 29, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
The cabin pressure might actually help the pumping!!!

But I think it is her feeding time and she is, ... needed like that. It is a morning flight.
You do realize that a woman's balloons are not actually filled with air.
Old May 29, 2015, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paul4040
Have any women commented on this thread?

Just a thought.
I'm a woman, my post below. I don't think it is ok.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
If the lady pulled her boob out in row 5 and showed the guy next to her it would be a huge issue however attach a breast pump on to it and it's ok to pull your boob out.

We had that happen at work. One lady started to use a breast pump at the crowded lunch table without even turning away for privacy. I don't want to see your boobs as I eat my ham and salad roll. Someone else said the same thing so although we had to put up with the noise she turned away so we didn't have to see anything.
Old May 29, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: Eurobonus Silver
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I'm a woman, my post below. I don't think it is ok.
I think that your example is not quite comparable to the one presented by the OP. A woman in a lunch setting will most likely have other options on where to pump, and it's a setting where people are sitting directly across from each other with the intent of sharing a meal. On a plane there is not many other places to go and as already pointed out its not always possible to pump whenever one would like. And it was the sound not the view the OP was concerned about.
Old May 29, 2015, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sitrus
I think that your example is not quite comparable to the one presented by the OP. A woman in a lunch setting will most likely have other options on where to pump, and it's a setting where people are sitting directly across from each other with the intent of sharing a meal. On a plane there is not many other places to go and as already pointed out its not always possible to pump whenever one would like. And it was the sound not the view the OP was concerned about.
I know for one thing I would never do that in a plane seat just after take off.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Men need to understand that western society has elevated breastfeeding from a simple mammalian function to near holy act. Therefore, we cannot under any circumstances proffer even the slightest criticism of breast feeding no matter how, where and why it occurs. Noise, awkwardness, unsightliness are to be quietly tolerated. Avert your eyes, turn up your headset and carry on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.