Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

pumping etiquette - is there an appropriate reply?

pumping etiquette - is there an appropriate reply?

Old May 28, 15, 8:02 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington DC
Programs: Delta PM, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 519
pumping etiquette - is there an appropriate reply?

Background: So I was scheduled to travel from FLL-ATL-BWI this past Tuesday. Proactively switched to MIA-ATL-BWI yesterday (5/27) b/c I would have mis-connected in ATL on the original flight.

so yesterday I'm on DL 1460, MIA-ATL, 7:45A-9:34A. I must admit in all honesty I was cranky from the WX and IRROPS the night before AND having to run and catch this DL #1460 since my later flight that a.m. had also been delayed. Alas, I board flight and am in 12C. It's pretty early and I'm asleep before we even push back from gate. Lady in 13D starts (breast)pumping once we reach 10,000'. I only know she's pumping b/c of the sound the machine makes. I QUICKLY look back and realize what she's doing and turn back around frustrated b/c I can't sleep.

She has the right to pump (I think?) and as a MALE I sure as heck wasn't gonna make a stink but 1) it was early and I was trying to sleep and the machine was kinda loud and 2) I'll admit that I looked QUICKLY but it did not appear she had a child with her so I wonder if she coulda delayed doing so.

I'm just wondering if it woulda been ok to let her know the pumping was annoying? As it turns out, I just stayed quiet and chose not to address the issue. Again, I didn't want to be the "insensitive DUDE" who doesn't value nursing mothers........ thoughts on this delicate issue?
soxfanndc is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 8:07 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney
Programs: Show me the points!
Posts: 1,150
You would think that she could have done it before or after a 650 mile flight. Not like she was stuck on a trans-con.
nichojo is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 8:10 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,629
Originally Posted by nichojo View Post
You would think that she could have done it before or after a 650 mile flight. Not like she was stuck on a trans-con.
That's what I was thinking.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 8:12 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Posts: 3,772
How full was the flight? If it wasn't full then you had more options.

You could also ask the FA to offer you alternative solutions. (Worth a shot)

But granted it is a 1 hour flight, I am not sure it would have made any difference.
DHalltheway is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 8:14 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by nichojo View Post
You would think that she could have done it before or after a 650 mile flight. Not like she was stuck on a trans-con.
Yes, because you know the details of her life and what's going on with her body.

You were annoyed by something someone else was doing on a plane? Shocking. Suck it up and deal. You're talking about 90 minutes of discomfort.

The lack of empathy on this board, between threads like this and threads about someone with a medical condition asking if they can encroach on someone's arm rest, or a parent asking people to move to sit with a child, makes me worry for humanity.

The constant theme seems to be that the other person should have prepared better, or not expected people to help them out, or somehow you're all living in a David Mamet movie and everyone is out to scam you. Ayn Rand would be proud.

Hopefully, when the end times come, I'll be no where near you people. It's going to be Lord of the Flies pretty quickly with you.

David

Last edited by dgilman; May 28, 15 at 8:31 am
dgilman is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 8:15 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
Posts: 242
Why didn't you just ask her to plug headphones into it?

shouldn't it be treated like any other personal electronic device... ipad, kid's video game, etc?
gte157q is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 8:22 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chattanooga
Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Posts: 318
Good god people....an hour nap versus discomfort of the passenger? Seriously?
Tibs is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 8:22 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: BWI
Programs: DL FO
Posts: 312
I think it's easy to say she could have pumped before boarding or waited until after landing, and she likely would have preferred that. I don't know of any women who like to pump in public. It's possible she had a connecting flight at ATL, knew she wouldn't have time to pump there, planned to pump at MIA before boarding, but was delayed getting to the airport (or through security). If that was the case, then waiting until she had a chance to pump in a more private place take too long, and possibly even waiting until her next flight would take too long. It is uncomfortable to skip or delay pumping, and can also impact a woman's ability to continue producing milk.

As for the noise - I honestly don't see how it is different than any other noise on a plane. I've been kept awake by people talking, snoring, coughing, laughing... Planes are public places, and the public can be noisy. While it is always nice to catch a nap on a plane, it's never a guarantee, especially not on a such a short flight.
mpheels is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 8:29 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 1,786
Originally Posted by soxfanndc View Post

I'm just wondering if it woulda been ok to let her know the pumping was annoying? As it turns out, I just stayed quiet and chose not to address the issue. Again, I didn't want to be the "insensitive DUDE" who doesn't value nursing mothers........ thoughts on this delicate issue?
One thought. Noise cancelling headphones. Never leave home without them. Quick cure many things including chatty seatmates, snoring, pumps, crying children, etc.
Mr. Tickets is online now  
Old May 28, 15, 8:37 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC, MSY
Programs: DL DM, 1.1MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Posts: 4,676
Originally Posted by soxfanndc View Post
... I must admit in all honesty I was cranky from the WX and IRROPS the night before AND having to run and catch this DL #1460 since my later flight that a.m. had also been delayed.
You've nailed YOUR problem!

Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
I think it's easy to say she could have pumped before boarding or waited until after landing, and she likely would have preferred that. I don't know of any women who like to pump in public. It's possible she had a connecting flight at ATL, knew she wouldn't have time to pump there, planned to pump at MIA before boarding, but was delayed getting to the airport (or through security). If that was the case, then waiting until she had a chance to pump in a more private place take too long, and possibly even waiting until her next flight would take too long. It is uncomfortable to skip or delay pumping, and can also impact a woman's ability to continue producing milk.

As for the noise - I honestly don't see how it is different than any other noise on a plane. I've been kept awake by people talking, snoring, coughing, laughing... Planes are public places, and the public can be noisy. While it is always nice to catch a nap on a plane, it's never a guarantee, especially not on a such a short flight.
Well put - very good post

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets View Post
One thought. Noise cancelling headphones. Never leave home without them. Quick cure many things including chatty seatmates, snoring, pumps, crying children, etc.
+1

If you want real piece & quiet, charter a private jet.
SuperG1955 is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 8:53 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Norway
Programs: Eurobonus Silver
Posts: 59
As said by mpheels before me, she probably would have preferred to pump somewhere else. The lack of a child would probably explain why she needed to pump. Skipping feedingtime is not only uncomfortable, but could also have a very visual and wet outcome, and I am sure pumping is preferrable to that.
sitrus is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 9:02 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BOS, NYC
Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 571
Originally Posted by sitrus View Post
As said by mpheels before me, she probably would have preferred to pump somewhere else. The lack of a child would probably explain why she needed to pump. Skipping feedingtime is not only uncomfortable, but could also have a very visual and wet outcome, and I am sure pumping is preferrable to that.
^
turnpike17 is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 9:03 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 11,992
This is definitely not a DL specific topic so I am moving this thread to TravelBuzz.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
RSSrsvp is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 9:09 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Posts: 609
The cabin pressure might actually help the pumping!!!

But I think it is her feeding time and she is, ... needed like that. It is a morning flight.
JohnnyRockets is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 9:21 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,361
Originally Posted by dgilman View Post
Yes, because you know the details of her life and what's going on with her body.

You were annoyed by something someone else was doing on a plane? Shocking. Suck it up and deal. You're talking about 90 minutes of discomfort.

The lack of empathy on this board, between threads like this and threads about someone with a medical condition asking if they can encroach on someone's arm rest, or a parent asking people to move to sit with a child, makes me worry for humanity.

The constant theme seems to be that the other person should have prepared better, or not expected people to help them out, or somehow you're all living in a David Mamet movie and everyone is out to scam you. Ayn Rand would be proud.

Hopefully, when the end times come, I'll be no where near you people. It's going to be Lord of the Flies pretty quickly with you.

David
Agreed...but, why couldn't she have pumped in the lav? Not enough room...what?
OHDL1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: