Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Interview etiquette. Okay to earn miles on ticket paid by interviewer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interview etiquette. Okay to earn miles on ticket paid by interviewer?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Calchas
What is the reasoning for this?
Probably because if you start asking a whole bunch of questions around the travel policy (if indeed it is that, rather than travelling requirements) then you may give someone the wrong impression about your real reason for wanting the job. I'd focus on the job, and leave questions around travel for the next meeting.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Probably because if you start asking a whole bunch of questions around the travel policy (if indeed it is that, rather than travelling requirements) then you may give someone the wrong impression about your real reason for wanting the job. I'd focus on the job, and leave questions around travel for the next meeting.
I disagree. A lot of jobs discuss travel requirements, including policies re credit cards (personal vs corporate), and FF programs during the interview. If it is a major part of your job then its important to discuss as part of the requirements and expectations thereof. After all, if you are on the road 3 weeks out of the month, you should have that information before you accept the job.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Yes. Go ahead and do it. It doesn't cost the company any more if you do; it doesn't save them any money if you don't.

This is also a good time to bring up the subject of travel, and how you would be expected to handle the issue of how to handle miles earned while on company business.
+1

Welcome to FlyerTalk jetspeed90.

I don't see why it would be a problem at all. The company doesn't lose anything by you doing so, and is unlikely to find out unless they specifically check.

If the company gets tetchy about it, it's probably a sign you should not accept any offer of employment from them.
Good point

Plus, if you have status with the airline it can also protect you better in the case of IRROPS and, if need be, get you on a new flight to ensure you make the interview. IMHO, it is simply smart to include your FF number
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
I would do it. As others have said, I do not think it is a big deal as it is you who will be travelling and agree with the poster who said you may save them a checked bag fee. I would also think that depending on your status, having your number attached may help you in the event of delays or cancellations on you way to/from the interview. While the employer may not care so much about you getting back on home on schedule, they may have people and/or events scheduled for your interview that may be harder to reschedule should you be delayed on your way to the interview.

Good luck with the interview.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
As others have suggested, I'd save the more-detailed questions about the companies travel requirements for *after* an offer is made.
What is the reasoning for this?
Because discussing it before then may create the impression that you are more concerned with administrative minutiae* than with what the job is, what the career opportunities are, and other big-picture items. Companies don't want people who microanalyze trivia.

If you do not get an offer, discussing it would have been a waste of your time.

If you do get an offer, the likelihood is that the offer will be either unacceptable for some other reason or so desirable that it won't matter. You can discuss it only in the unlikely situation that it is a deciding factor. Or, once you have an offer, you can bring it up in an offhand "I was curious about ..." fashion. In either case, what they think of your concern with this topic will no longer be an issue. Beyond that, things like this can be legitimate concerns in deciding to accept an offer even if they weren't important enough to bring up during the interview process.

*You may not put this issue into that category. Flyertalkers as a group may not put it into that category. Flyertalkers are not typical. Repeat: Flyertalkers are not typical. What matters is that a hiring manager, or someone else with influence over the hiring decision, might put it into that category.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by savekenny
Uh, not sure if I agree with this...... I would not bring this up at anytime during the interview phase -- maybe ask HR once they've extended an offer, but do you seriously think your boss needs to know that this is a concern of yours?
Generally, I agree with this advice. Unless it's really specific to the position for which you're interviewing, I would NOT inquire about travel policies during interview #1.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:00 pm

Getting back to the OP for a moment. If you're traveling for an interview, you're not bound by the same travel rules that would apply if you were already an employee
Exactly correct. You are on invitational travel, not employee travel.
If the company has some special rules about invitational travel, they have the obligation to inform you.
They haven't, so normal travel processes apply.

Don't sweat it, seriously. Apply your FF number and carry on. Once you're onboard, then you'll be instructed on and be expected to comply with their travel policy, whatever that is.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:22 pm
Suspended

It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Especially when there is no written policy
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pinniped
I would absolutely add the FF#: it'll not only save on baggage fees, but could become necessary to establish rebooking priority if your flight is delayed/canceled.

If the company, government organization, or whatever has negotiated rates with the airline that do not earn miles, so be it. But with elite status, I'd still want the number on the PNR. Even if I wasn't checking bags, I'd want it for seat assignment and IROPS purposes.

As others have suggested, I'd save the more-detailed questions about the companies travel requirements for *after* an offer is made.
Getting back to the OP for a moment. If you're traveling for an interview, you're not bound by the same travel rules that would apply if you were already an employee, but it's still on their dime. It's kind of a gray area in that respect.

Some more information about the job might help. If you previously traveled a lot either on your own or on another job, it would be almost expected that you would already have an FF number. Since there is NO cost whatsoever to the company either way, and there can be some potential cost-saving benefits if you do, I would think the company would encourage you to be an FF member, especially if your (potential) new job will involve any amount of travel.

The whole issue of how a company treats employee miles that are bought by the company is a separate matter and has already been addressed here in numerous other threads, so it doesn't really apply here.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Originally Posted by Efrem
Because discussing it before then may create the impression that you are more concerned with administrative minutiae* than with what the job is, what the career opportunities are, and other big-picture items. Companies don't want people who microanalyze trivia.

If you do not get an offer, discussing it would have been a waste of your time.

If you do get an offer, the likelihood is that the offer will be either unacceptable for some other reason or so desirable that it won't matter. You can discuss it only in the unlikely situation that it is a deciding factor. Or, once you have an offer, you can bring it up in an offhand "I was curious about ..." fashion. In either case, what they think of your concern with this topic will no longer be an issue. Beyond that, things like this can be legitimate concerns in deciding to accept an offer even if they weren't important enough to bring up during the interview process.

*You may not put this issue into that category. Flyertalkers as a group may not put it into that category. Flyertalkers are not typical. Repeat: Flyertalkers are not typical. What matters is that a hiring manager, or someone else with influence over the hiring decision, might put it into that category.
Originally Posted by pilotalan
Exactly correct. You are on invitational travel, not employee travel.
If the company has some special rules about invitational travel, they have the obligation to inform you.
They haven't, so normal travel processes apply.

Don't sweat it, seriously. Apply your FF number and carry on. Once you're onboard, then you'll be instructed on and be expected to comply with their travel policy, whatever that is.
I totally agree with these posts, but I would add the qualification that we're primarily thinking about a USA employer. Other countries may have rules that FF miles are taxable on tickets not paid by the individual, so there could be complications in such situations.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Efrem
This, in a nutshell...

Once the offer has been made, you will have ample opportunity to discuss administrivia. You'll have an opportunity to ask questions about the health insurance, the bonus plan, the travel requirements/policies, the quality of the food in the cafeteria, and whatever else is on your mind. Nobody's suggesting accepting the offer without getting your questions answered...just save 'em for the right time and place...

We are indeed an atypical bunch: I still believe that most hiring managers would interpret a long string of detailed questions about travel to be either (a) an employee who *doesn't* want to travel or (b) an employee who is going to be difficult about all sorts of other administrative aspects of the job.

Unless the hiring manager is also a Flyertalker, in which case there's (c) an employee who is going to game the system to maximize his/her miles and points.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: none
What if it's a slightly different scenario?

The company puts you up in a hotel at their expense. You happen to have status in the hotel's program program which includes a free breakfast (or name whatever free benefit you'd like). Wouldn't you take the breakfast?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
I wouldn't ask nitpicky or small travel questions in an interview, but if the job requires travel as a major component, then it is a good idea to at least get the general overview of company policies right away. How much do they scrutinize travel expenses, are they completely unreasonable. Would they freak out at a 250 or above rack rate in Manhattan and instead prefer you keep the room rate to 100 or less a night, which in the NYC area if you follow that you will end up staying in some run down "America's Best value inn" in Newark or Orange where the front desk clerk is behind bullet proof glass and you speak through a microphone. LOL
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
I disagree. A lot of jobs discuss travel requirements, including policies re credit cards (personal vs corporate), and FF programs during the interview. If it is a major part of your job then its important to discuss as part of the requirements and expectations thereof. After all, if you are on the road 3 weeks out of the month, you should have that information before you accept the job.
*IF*. You need to research your job ahead of time. Know something about the company so you can ask relevant questions. If the company has sites all over the country, or internationally, or is a service company then asking if your jobs would involve travel and how that works is an intelligent thing to do. If you're applying to be IT manager at a 20 store grocery store chain, not a good idea.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:03 am

earning FF miles:
i don't think anyone specifically mentioned this yet, but some companies have special discount fares that don't earn FF miles. my untested assumption is that adding your FF number would do nothing - i.e., you still earn no miles, but it should also not change the fare paid or information provided to the company. i suspect the traveler has no way of knowing if their attempt to add the FF number is communicated to the company, but i also suspect there would be no reason to do so. this is different from a company earning FF miles for the prospect's travel. delta had (has?) a separate program at the company level, skybonus, that offered benefits for organizational travel.

upgrades:
if the prospective employer books you on a carrier with which you have status, would you decline an upgrade if one were available/offered? i would not change my travel habits or use of status benefits. in fact, it would be good to know, in advance of accepting an offer, how the company thinks of my using my status to upgrade on flights paid by the company.

hotel benefits:
i think these should be treated the same as FF miles. special rates that don't earn hotel points are very common. i wouldn't think twice about using my status with a particular chain, to get breakfast or other benefits.

asking about travel policies:
whether travel is required/expected is an interview-level question. specific travel policies are usually best saved until the offer is in hand. definitely ask before accepting the offer, though.

if you're concerned about how the company handles travel, this is a good place to read up on bad policies and how to deal with them:
ridiculous things your company has done reduce travel expenses
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crabbing
earning FF miles:
i don't think anyone specifically mentioned this yet, but some companies have special discount fares that don't earn FF miles. my untested assumption is that adding your FF number would do nothing - i.e., you still earn no miles, but it should also not change the fare paid or information provided to the company. i suspect the traveler has no way of knowing if their attempt to add the FF number is communicated to the company, but i also suspect there would be no reason to do so. this is different from a company earning FF miles for the prospect's travel. delta had (has?) a separate program at the company level, skybonus, that offered benefits for organizational travel.
If the company's travel agent issued the PNR then in principle they would be aware of the PNR change when your FQTV/FQTS numbers are added. The fare they paid is already ticketed and won't be affected.

Corporate fares that don't earn frequent flier points for the passenger are relatively rare, these days, aren't they?

Originally Posted by crabbing
upgrades:
if the prospective employer books you on a carrier with which you have status, would you decline an upgrade if one were available/offered? i would not change my travel habits or use of status benefits. in fact, it would be good to know, in advance of accepting an offer, how the company thinks of my using my status to upgrade on flights paid by the company.
As noted up thread, if the company has peculiar wishes, it needs to communicate them in advance. It cannot reasonably expect interviewees to be aware that they cannot take an upgrade. Declining an op-up on some carriers takes a lot of paperwork!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.