Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Interview etiquette. Okay to earn miles on ticket paid by interviewer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interview etiquette. Okay to earn miles on ticket paid by interviewer?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Cool Interview etiquette. Okay to earn miles on ticket paid by interviewer?

delete

Last edited by jetspeed90; Mar 27, 2016 at 7:48 pm
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: none
Yes. Go ahead and do it. It doesn't cost the company any more if you do; it doesn't save them any money if you don't.

This is also a good time to bring up the subject of travel, and how you would be expected to handle the issue of how to handle miles earned while on company business.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetspeed90
I am being flown to a job interview next month and the interviewing company purchased the lowest cost ticket, which happens to be an airline with which I have status.

Would it be inappropriate to attach my FF number to the reservation in order to take advantage of status perks? Of course I would also earn award miles for a ticket I did not purchase... I am a little torn whether that is totally fine or may appear to be taking advantage.

Thanks for your advice!
Welcome to FlyerTalk jetspeed90.

I don't see why it would be a problem at all. The company doesn't lose anything by you doing so, and is unlikely to find out unless they specifically check.

If the company gets tetchy about it, it's probably a sign you should not accept any offer of employment from them.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Of course you should. I doubt that there's any way for them to find out if you gave your FF number or not, and if they did, so what, it's no skin off their backs, and you could go so far as to argue that it's really none of their business.

Welcome to FT!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk! This discussion will probably do better here in the TravelBuzz forum.

Good luck with the interview!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:55 pm

Interview etiquette. Okay to earn?

If anything you may save them money O checked bag fees.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Just Do It

...and do not feel any guilt. Don't give it another thought, and certainly don't mention it to anyone in the company.

Good luck with your interview.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Totally standard to do this. Most business travelers who fly on fares paid by their company accrue the miles personally. Although you're not (yet?) an employee, it's still your rear end in the seat.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by plenow
If anything you may save them money O checked bag fees.

I would do it!! does that mean you get credit for the segment?
Good luck!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
It's fair to presume that the miles are yours to keep. I would not ask the company or even mention it to them. I'd just call the airline to attach my FF number to the reservation. If the airline says the person who booked the travel needs to do it, only then would I call the company's travel coordinator.

Be aware, though, that there are two cases where you might not get to accrue miles:

1) Depending on the airline or the method of payment the company used, it's possible that no FF miles will be paid.

2) Some companies and some government organizations have policies that employees may not keep miles. If you learn that this employer has such a policy and your job responsibilities would include periodic travel consider that along with other factors about the working environment.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jetspeed90
I am being flown to a job interview next month and the interviewing company purchased the lowest cost ticket, which happens to be an airline with which I have status.

Would it be inappropriate to attach my FF number to the reservation in order to take advantage of status perks? Of course I would also earn award miles for a ticket I did not purchase... I am a little torn whether that is totally fine or may appear to be taking advantage.

Thanks for your advice!
It's completely fine. Give the airline your number at check-in.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Why are you even wondering about this? If I were the hiring manager, and knew that you were on the fence about this, I might wonder about your ability to make decisions. Do it. Don't mention it. Move on.

Although there are a FEW exceptions, almost all business travelers accrue miles to their own FF account on all flights flown on behalf of the business. Good luck on the interview.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
In the U.S., the miles are always the traveler's to keep. So, I see no issue here. Attach your number to the reservation and earn the miles.

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
2) Some companies and some government organizations have policies that employees may not keep miles.
Companies may claim to have policies; however, these would contradict the airlines' rules that state that only the traveler may earn the miles.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Feb 17, 2015 at 8:44 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Allan38103

This is also a good time to bring up the subject of travel, and how you would be expected to handle the issue of how to handle miles earned while on company business.
Uh, not sure if I agree with this...... I would not bring this up at anytime during the interview phase -- maybe ask HR once they've extended an offer, but do you seriously think your boss needs to know that this is a concern of yours?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: NZ*S
Originally Posted by sannmann
Companies may claim to have policies; however, these would contradict the airlines' rules that state that only the traveler may earn the miles.
That in no way contradicts the company policy that employees are not permitted to collect miles on travel paid for by the company. I imagine the policy is very hard to enforce however, at least in countries where employees have some right to privacy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.