FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Interview etiquette. Okay to earn miles on ticket paid by interviewer?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:51 am
Calchas
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crabbing
earning FF miles:
i don't think anyone specifically mentioned this yet, but some companies have special discount fares that don't earn FF miles. my untested assumption is that adding your FF number would do nothing - i.e., you still earn no miles, but it should also not change the fare paid or information provided to the company. i suspect the traveler has no way of knowing if their attempt to add the FF number is communicated to the company, but i also suspect there would be no reason to do so. this is different from a company earning FF miles for the prospect's travel. delta had (has?) a separate program at the company level, skybonus, that offered benefits for organizational travel.
If the company's travel agent issued the PNR then in principle they would be aware of the PNR change when your FQTV/FQTS numbers are added. The fare they paid is already ticketed and won't be affected.

Corporate fares that don't earn frequent flier points for the passenger are relatively rare, these days, aren't they?

Originally Posted by crabbing
upgrades:
if the prospective employer books you on a carrier with which you have status, would you decline an upgrade if one were available/offered? i would not change my travel habits or use of status benefits. in fact, it would be good to know, in advance of accepting an offer, how the company thinks of my using my status to upgrade on flights paid by the company.
As noted up thread, if the company has peculiar wishes, it needs to communicate them in advance. It cannot reasonably expect interviewees to be aware that they cannot take an upgrade. Declining an op-up on some carriers takes a lot of paperwork!