Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

To Recline or not Recline....in First Class??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Recline or not Recline....in First Class??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:05 pm

The whole point of flying in First is to enjoy the benefits that are generally unavailable in economy, the ability to recline a substantial degree. As for bothering other passengers with it, I'll relate my two most recent experiences. Both were on AA jets, the first one being an MD-80, and the second being a 737. On both planes I was able to fully extend my legs (something I could never do in economy), and the seats were high enough that the seat in front of me leaning back never interfered with my leg space, and there was still plenty of room to stand and my wife in the window seat was able to get past me without me having to move first. The food and drink trays were located in the armrest, so the position of the seatback in front of me didn't affect that at all.

The only difference between the two planes as far as reclining goes is that on the md-80 the seat itself remained stationary while the back reclined, but on the 737 the seatback remained stationary and the seat slid forward, thereby using up your own space when you reclined and not the space of the passenger behind you. This was actually less comfortable though, although still a world better than economy.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by decabea
I wonder if airlines monitor these posts and take into account the vast amount of unhappy customers, who wish for a bit more comfort especially in Y. I would like to see them invest their money in making flying more comfortable rather than bombarding us with advertising and bonus miles gimmicks. Roomier seats, and seats that do not recline as much in Y to seriously impact the row behind Could be a start for more loyal flyers. I guess I am dreaming.
What the airlines monitor is the opinions that people express with their wallets. Over and over and over again the people vote for low price and ignore the comfort issue. Oh, they whine and complain about comfort. But when presented with the option to buy E+ instead of E they choose to accept the discomfort and save the money. As long as the flying public continues to do that, the airlines will continue to provide what they are asked to provide: Low prices and cramped seats.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by tjf739
The "demand" is what it comes down to for me. I can't recall another passenger ever saying anything to me about recline.
I was not precise above - I meant that in E+ the legroom is sufficient, so that the only argument I could relate to "knee pain" does not apply there.

People who don't want you to recline in E+ are simply obsessed about their comfort and not about their knees being compressed.
However, it is far likelier that I would agree to recline my seat less or not at all if the passenger behind me asked politely instead of demanding or instructing.
I agree. But it also depends on the cause. Someone wanting to work with the computer would not constitute a compelling argument to me. They can do that before the flight or into the aisle. A person being really tall ... I'd try to find a solution as on a longhaul, I have to recline.

Last edited by weero; Feb 8, 2015 at 8:17 pm
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, US, AA, DL
Originally Posted by weero
I was not precise above - I meant that in E+ the legroom is sufficient, so that the only argument I could relate to "knee pain" does not apply there.

People who don't want you to recline in E+ are simply obsessed about their comfort and not about their knees being compressed.

I agree. But it also depends on the cause. Someone wanting to work with the computer would not constitute a compelling argument to me. They can do that before the flight or into the aisle. A person being really tall ... I'd try to find a solution as on a longhaul, I have to recline.
Ah, I see now. Yes, I agree. There's frankly plenty of space in F (the subject of the OP) or E+.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by weero
I'd do the same, although I'm not sure how much you could actually do to mitigate the situation. If you temporarily swapped seats with the tall passenger, that would just give the same problem to the person previously in front of you. I'm curious since although I only fly longhaul in Y about half the time, I have one such trip coming up this week, and it'd be nice to know in case the situation arises.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by 6rugrats
Recline if you wish.
Skipping through all the comments, this is my vote as well
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ooofence
Is there a league?
How does one try-out?
Can you try-out and still keep your amateur status if you don't get signed?
How many flights make up a season?
How many people make the play-offs?
Do you have to be as uptight and entitled as you are to play?
Most important question: is there relegation???
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by State of Trance
I'd do the same, although I'm not sure how much you could actually do to mitigate the situation. If you temporarily swapped seats with the tall passenger..
I swapped or moved on less fool flights.

But it had to be convincing and compelling ... not someone of my own height just being crank.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
I do it from time to time (mostly if trying to rest), but I recognize that doing so can result in more than moderate discomfort for others even in F. With US, for example, some A321s seem to leave plenty of room when the person in front is reclined, while it can be almost impossible for even a fairly small person to get out of the seat on the same differently-configured aircraft if full recline is happening in front. This is also why I often choose bulkheads, since at least I know my personal space will remain largely the same throughout the flight.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: B6 MOSIAC, AA PLAT, MR PLAT, SPG PLAT, EC EE, Hertz PC, DL GOLD, UA GOLD, AC 25K
I say recline as you must -- however, if we start taxiing after landing and your seat is still reclined and it looks like i'll need to hip check your seat when the seatbelt signs powers down, believe me, you're getting a hip check. No need to keep your seat reclined when people are trying to deplane and are have to contort to get out of their seat.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
ANA is talking about a new seat on their 787s. Haven't seen it, but read about it. Coach seat with a hard shell back that doesn't recline at all, but the seat slides forward 3 inches.

Lots of thoughts about that, none of them good. At least with conventional seats if you're tall your knees are pressed against cloth and a fairly flexible seat back. Also those who have used it says the seat sliding forward is uncomfortable.

We'll see how long they last.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
ANA is talking about a new seat on their 787s. Haven't seen it, but read about it. Coach seat with a hard shell back that doesn't recline at all, but the seat slides forward 3 inches.

Lots of thoughts about that, none of them good. At least with conventional seats if you're tall your knees are pressed against cloth and a fairly flexible seat back. Also those who have used it says the seat sliding forward is uncomfortable.

We'll see how long they last.
If it's anything like the CX hard shell Y seats, a lot of people really hated them. I think CX switched to a more conventional reclining seat a couple of years ago due to the backlash.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:33 pm

If it's anything like the CX hard shell Y seats, a lot of people really hated them. I think CX switched to a more conventional reclining seat a couple of years ago due to the backlash.
They aren't great for longhaul and they are super flimsy .. but I enjoy them on the shorter intra-Asia routes as you can recline with impunity.

The IFE is terrible though ...
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
I almost always recline, regardless of where I sit. I assume really tall people will buy the seat in front of them just as really fat people will buy the seat next to them if they need the extra space. In F, there is so much room I can't see how any reasonable person could possibly object.
Excellent! Ha! Love it!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
+1
I also hated those CX seats with seat belt airbag.
Same also for AF Y+.

Still, the concept of shell in Y should be further studied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.