Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

To Recline or not Recline....in First Class??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Recline or not Recline....in First Class??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I try to be a good citizen... respectful of others.
This is why I don't get all the "woe to you if you try and stop me from reclining" comments. If you're physically causing a tall person behind you serious pain by doing it, don't you think the decent thing to do is not recline? Yes, you might be a little more comfortable, but at their expense?

Maybe it really is "I want what I paid for, who cares if it impacts someone else" way of thinking.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by pruss2ny
sorry if covered elsewhere.
but is there any standard accepted protocol on whether or not its rude to recline in F?...strictly domestic here obviously...737/753 ilk...

at 6'4" i long ago stopped reclining in coach...and on occasion have asked the person in front of me to consider not reclining as (in e-) their seatback was already physically against my knees before reclining. but i have never asked someone in F to not recline...and not that F on a 739 is so spacious, but basically its not physically hurting me so i don't feel like its "my space" to argue about.
I almost always recline, regardless of where I sit. I assume really tall people will buy the seat in front of them just as really fat people will buy the seat next to them if they need the extra space. In F, there is so much room I can't see how any reasonable person could possibly object.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rebelyell
I almost always recline, regardless of where I sit. I assume really tall people will buy the seat in front of them just as really fat people will buy the seat next to them if they need the extra space. In F, there is so much room I can't see how any reasonable person could possibly object.
cute.
buying the seat in front of you really doesn't work for a tall person unless they are going to take that seat off the plane...i think u'll find most tall people do try to buy e+ or pay up for exit row.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Do you think the passenger sitting in front of you is going to ask the same question?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
In F? Absolutely! Go ahead and recline. Most of my domestic flights are on AA's 757 with its international configuration, so reclining in F (Caribbean J) is not a big deal: the person sitting behind you does not even notice. Since i sit in the aisle, I do put the seat back up when whoever is sitting in the window wants to get up; that way, they don't have to step over my legs and the seat in sleep mode to get to the aisle. That is simply common courtesy.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
this topic has been cussed and discussed ad nauseum in dozens of threads

imo the entire reason for its existence is simple: common courtesy, sadly, isn't common: too many people have too little (and too often no) consideration for others; they are solely focused on themselves and their immediate wants ...
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Couch potatoes recline.

Professional travellers do not.
No idea what a "professional traveler" is ... hopefully no one just flies around and burns fuel as a job.

But you buy F and do not recline? What an insane waste of money!
Originally Posted by pruss2ny
..at 6'4" i long ago stopped reclining in coach...and on occasion have asked the person in front of me to consider not reclining as (in e-) their seatback was already physically against my knees before reclining..
Etiquette questions on an American carrier? People bring their ADD kids, walk around barefoot ... there ain't no etiquette no more.

And while you have my understanding that at 193cm height, the seat may feel tight to you, I will still recline for my own comfort. I'd give you a few minutes to adjust or change seats but I will use my seat feature independent of the opinions around them.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by weero
... I will still recline for my own comfort. I'd give you a few minutes to adjust or change seats but I will use my seat feature independent of the opinions around them.
I rest my case ... in a courteously reclined position
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
..imo the entire reason for its existence is simple: common courtesy, sadly, isn't common: too many people have too little (and too often no) consideration for others; they are solely focused on themselves and their immediate wants ...
While you are certainly right, this is issue stirs emotions so efficiently because it cannot be resolved with courtesy and respect as there is not transparent arbitration between those who need or desire to recline and those who need or desire more legroom.

If I get a seat that reclines, I win, otherwise I loose, it is a pretty crude game. I wish though that there were minimum standards for seat pitch and width in place to protect taller and bigger people.

As for etiquette: I had pax in E+ demand that I do not recline or recline less which I found pretty ludicrous.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: QR Gold, *A Gold, IHG Plat., Hilton Gold, Etihad Guest Gold
I only will put seat up right for take off, landing and meal service. Or under instruction from flight crew. Anything beyond that absolutely not. I paid for my seat, my seat has a recline button and I intend on using it for my comfort. I feel if you are uncomfortable in a particular seat then one really should plan in advance, purchase a different seat etc. I know this may sound snotty to most but thats my take. Its kind of like saying hey you have the isle seat so I expect you to be awake the whole flight incase I need to stretch my legs. Or the window shade story!
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by zimstyles
I only will put seat up right for take off, landing and meal service. Or under instruction from flight crew. Anything beyond that absolutely not. I paid for my seat, my seat has a recline button and I intend on using it for my comfort. I feel if you are uncomfortable in a particular seat then one really should plan in advance, purchase a different seat etc. I know this may sound snotty to most but thats my take. Its kind of like saying hey you have the isle seat so I expect you to be awake the whole flight incase I need to stretch my legs. Or the window shade story!
^
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:30 am

Recline etiquette

I wonder if airlines monitor these posts and take into account the vast amount of unhappy customers, who wish for a bit more comfort especially in Y. I would like to see them invest their money in making flying more comfortable rather than bombarding us with advertising and bonus miles gimmicks. Roomier seats, and seats that do not recline as much in Y to seriously impact the row behind Could be a start for more loyal flyers. I guess I am dreaming.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by zimstyles
I only will put seat up right for take off, landing and meal service. Or under instruction from flight crew...
You may have to arm yourself against crew instructions though.I have been on flights where people who complained about leg injuries or no space for their oversized babies succeed in coaxing a crew member to instruct a pax not to use the recline.

If the flight is not US bound, I would simply ignore them but for US bound flights or domestic flights, it may be worth to have a doctor's cert with you that states that you have a back ailment.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:56 am

To me this issue is about being polite.

You can recline if you want. It's your seat. If you are the row in front of the exit row your recline may be disabled - that is usually indicated on the seat chart as a limited recline seat.

It sure is nice to not recline if you don't need to. I don't let my kids recline because they don't need to. I don't recline because I am usually working and sit upright.

If you don't want the guy in front of you to recline you need to select a seat that has this benefit (bulkhead, exit row)

If I inow my laptop will be in harms way I ask the person in front of me to let me know if they are going to recline so I can quickly adjust. I haven't found that this reduces the reclines but it does reduce my issues with it greatly.

When you recline try to give the guy behind you some sort of indication you are coming. Even just going really slowly is a huge help.

I've never had a recline related fight, brawl or riot on a flight... Can't say the same about arm-rests...
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, US, AA, DL
Originally Posted by weero
As for etiquette: I had pax in E+ demand that I do not recline or recline less which I found pretty ludicrous.
The "demand" is what it comes down to for me. I can't recall another passenger ever saying anything to me about recline. However, it is far likelier that I would agree to recline my seat less or not at all if the passenger behind me asked politely instead of demanding or instructing. It's the same for me as swapping seats. I have never yet refused a swap for which I was asked politely and have never agreed to a swap which was demanded of me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.