Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

To Recline or not Recline....in First Class??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Recline or not Recline....in First Class??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:15 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SheBangsTheDrums
These threads are crazy. The seats ste built with recline to make it more comfortable, F,C or Y, the principle is the same. Id never dream of asking the person behind me if its ok to recline, same as i wouldn't expect someone in front of me to ask. If you feel reclining is out of order, fly Easyjet or Ryanair.
Except that it's not a guarantee.

Anyway, I rarely recline my seat, but also don't protest when the person in front of me does.

The, ehem, bigger issue these days is someone overflowing into my seat...
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Couch potatoes recline.

Professional travellers do not.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, US, AA, DL
I agree with most here. If I want to recline, I look behind me first to make sure the person behind me isn't sleeping on the tray table, pouring a drink, or doing something else I might disrupt. I then take my seat back slowly and carefully. I fly almost exclusively in UA premium cabins or Y+, where there is more room than in Y, but I think I would do the same there.

I just don't consider it rude to use the seat as intended by the airline. The bottom line is that I don't consider it the business of the person behind me whether I recline any more than I consider it my business whether the person in front of me reclines. Anyone who wants to should recline for any reason should do so, carefully and gently. I honestly don't understand the notion that only a certain type of person reclines. I can imagine a multitude of reasons one might wish to recline, very few of which denote one type of traveler/person more than any other type. YMMV, of course.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

ok...in F what to do when the person behind you asks that u not recline, or limit your recline? in interests of civility, you want to work with those around you...but honestly it seems like such an absurd request in all but the most extreme scenarios.

about 3yrs ago a 70ish year old grumpy dude protested that my "seat MUST BE broken" (it wasn't) and that i was impinging on his space...and he corralled the FA who asked for the quick fix that i moderate my recline on a transcon. when i went to the lav i noticed that the guy was maybe 5'4" and that my seat back was IN NO WAY restrictive to his space....i fully reclined and took a nap

last night, trying to nap again on a transcon, my seat back is sharply bumped regularly (say every 30-50 seconds) for about 10mins, until i looked back at the gentlemen (40ish) and asked if he was ok. "well...yea...but you're just giving me no room...your seat must be broken" (again...nope...it wasn't) in his defense i could see that he was about my size, and i understand that u can get somewhat claustrophobic at points...and i voluntarily inched my seat up and just asked that in the future, if i was physically causing him pain, he could just speak to me instead of just kicking my seat for 10 mins.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Recline. The seat and it's functions are yours. I try not to recline during meals. If you don't want to annoy someone, sit in back row. If you don't want to be reclined into, sit in front row (of course, if the choice of seat is available).
Originally Posted by 6rugrats
This has been discussed many, many times. Recline if you wish.
Originally Posted by kevinsac
It's been a long time since I've flown Y .... but I always am free to recline MY seat. I do so slowly, so the person behind me can adjust.

But--woe be the person who tells me I can not recline.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Recline. Regardless of class.

I wouldnt expect the person in front of me not to recline.
Originally Posted by Hawk Circle
Recline, slowly, in F or Y.
^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Couch potatoes recline.

Wrong on all levels.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:43 pm

Couch potatoes recline.

Is there a league?
How does one try-out?
Can you try-out and still keep your amateur status if you don't get signed?
How many flights make up a season?
How many people make the play-offs?
Do you have to be as uptight and entitled as you are to play?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:15 pm

oops, didn;t see the question reffered to first. Carry on!
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
What's the seat pitch in this F?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by pruss2ny
at 6'4" i long ago stopped reclining in coach...and on occasion have asked the person in front of me to consider not reclining as (in e-) their seatback was already physically against my knees before reclining.
It's unfortunately true that at 6'4" you would not fit comfortably into most E- seats. However, I feel it's completely inappropriate to bother a person in front of you with that problem, or attempt to transfer some of your pain and inconvenience to them. It's not your first flight and you knew you were buying a seat where you wouldn't fit. That issue should be addressed to the source of your predicament -- the airline, not your fellow travelers sitting in front of you.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I like to recline and try to secure a seat at the back of the cabin. That way, I know that nobody can take umbrage.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
As long as no one is eating behind you I think it's okay to recline if you're in F.

If I'm in Y, I only recline if I'm going to be sleeping, if there's no one in the row behind me, or if the person behind me has an empty middle seat next to them.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Couch potatoes recline.

Originally Posted by littlesheep
oops, didn;t see the question reffered to first. Carry on!
What about professionally traveling couch potatoes? Half recline?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:59 am

Recline. Every time. Especially in F.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaxVO
It's unfortunately true that at 6'4" you would not fit comfortably into most E- seats. However, I feel it's completely inappropriate to bother a person in front of you with that problem, or attempt to transfer some of your pain and inconvenience to them. It's not your first flight and you knew you were buying a seat where you wouldn't fit. That issue should be addressed to the source of your predicament -- the airline, not your fellow travelers sitting in front of you.
awesome post...kind of hits at the core of my question.
but no...i don't feel it's "completely inappropriate" to "bother" someone...i mean...are we really so frail that if there is potentially an issue that puts us at odds with another traveller that we can't even address it?

seat recline is a largely petty first world issue. but the 2 people who pretty much demanded i not recline in F really had the demeanor that i was somehow negating their human right to exist. kind of like the business traveller who asks u to switch seats so that they can sit next to a business partner, and then are crestfallen and befuddled if u happen to decline.

i'm fortunate in my travels and status but have (irrops) found myself in a situation where i was in a crummy seat once or twice on a short flight where i have asked the person in front of me to consider not reclining...its been spur of the moment but something along the lines of:
look, its my problem not yours but i'm really uncomfortable with the seatback digging into my knees...if u can not recline, i'd appreciate it, but not tears otherwise

frankly i find that the simple act of self-advocating is a massive stress reliever...and genuinely there is no expectation that the person comply with the request...some hope, but no expectation. in similar situations i have generally had a positive overall experience but once or twice a frustrated response from the other person...but if they're not adult enough to self advocate, then that's their issue isn't it?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by mkr
Also, UA will sell recline-free seats at a premium. The seat in front of a person will not be able to recline.
Sign me up! :-)

I don't recline, or if I do, it's only a little. I try to be a good citizen... respectful of others.

On a tangent... I'm excited at the prospect of airlines allowing cellphone conversations on a plane. Imagine the discussions we can can have about how I've paid for a ticket, and it's my 'right' to speak... regardless of whether it bothers anyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.