Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVED] What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (pre-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVED] What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (pre-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
What are the job requirements?

Accounting, bachelor's degree, experience?
Too many requirements...

"Required Skills / Qualifications: *Bachelor’s degree *Minimum of 5 years experience performing field quality audits on-site at customers *Minimum of 2 years international supplier experience *Minimum of 5 years reading electrical /mechanical blueprints *Minimum of 5 years using multimeters and standard test equipment *Minimum of 5 years using hand tools (cutters, strippers, crimpers) *Minimum of 3 years performing soldering (to component level) *Minimum of 3 years installing software and firmware *Minimum of 3 years using logic probes and oscilloscopes *Minimum of 3 years performing troubleshooting at the subassembly and the machine assembly level Preferred Skills / Qualifications: *Can use automated crimper *Is highly proficient in reading and following wiring, schematic, and ladder diagrams *Can repair machines by repairing or replacing equipment at the subassembly level *Can troubleshoot at the component level *Can repair circuit boards"
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are the job requirements?
It's all in the job description.

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Too many requirements...
Actually, I can do all that stuff in my sleep, with the possible exeption of the 'field quality audit', whatever that is.

Did you ever work at a place where they yapped on about "quality" but in reality they just wanted the checklist checked off as quickly and cheaply as possible? If this is like that, anyone with any kind of integrity would quickly leave.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BigLar
It's all in the job description.
I read your post over 4 times..

so I apologize that I didn't read the job requirements, or the link..

because I just don't see the source to the job requirements in your OP..
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:58 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I read your post over 4 times..

so I apologize that I didn't read the job requirements, or the link..

because I just don't see the source to the job requirements in your OP..
Originally Posted by BigLar
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks.. I did not see 'This' highlighted in blue and linked.. I apologize..
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Until a couple of years ago, I worked for a big company based in the northeast, and did a lot of frequent travels from the west coast to NYC, BDL, BOS, PHL and D.C.

I was unemployed last year and used up all my miles on vacation. I was gone almost as much as when I was working, which was about once a month! Fortunately I had saved up enough money to be able to do that.

However, I live by myself, so that makes all this frequent traveling much easier, since there's no family back home to stress out that I'm not there.

Now I have a new job that requires less frequent travel but it's to more interesting places... small towns like Chico rather than big cities like New York.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's another one.

Moog is a large, well respected company. It is consistently rated as a very good company to work for, but although it's practically right down the street from me, I've never worked there.

They're right up front with their description of the job - this is no tourist gig:

The incumbent is expected to work extended or unusual hours as necessary in an effort to minimize equipment downtime for customers and must be ready and willing, with little advance notice, to travel to a customer's facility. Working and travel hours will typically extend beyond the normal workday hours, including weekends and holidays. The incumbent is expected to travel to international destinations with language, cultural and political practices that are very different from that to which he/she may be accustomed. Because communication with a foreign customer can be difficult due to the language barrier, the Field Engineer may be assisted by an interpreter or must make independent interpretations of the situation using creative alternative means. Independent travel preparation and repair coordination with vendors and foreign subsidiaries is often necessary prior to arriving at a job site. It is also necessary to frequently travel with replacement parts and a tool kit selected especially for that particular job or coordinate on-site availability of same in order to minimize system down time. Definition and requisitioning of the tools and equipment necessary to support all fielded Moog products and systems is the responsibility of the Field Engineer.

The ability to efficiently schedule and prioritize one's own workload and manage competing demands is essential for the Field Engineer. The incumbent is expected to be on 24-hour call and is expected to carry a cellular phone at all times. There may be little backup support for the Field Engineer, so it may be occasionally necessary to put aside personal plans temporarily to support a customer in need.

Following any trip or phone contact, the incumbent is expected to complete the necessary reports to adequately document the nature of the call and the resulting action. The Field Engineer must communicate effectively both orally and in writing.

Have a go at it?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach

It gets real old real fast. No airport lounge is as comfortable as your own sofa in your own home. No first class meal is as good as your own cooking in your own home.

Think, carefully. You might just get what you ask for.
You haven't seen my sofa. You haven't tried my cooking. Get me on the road!
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:26 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Consulting firms probably have one of the better perks when it comes to travel expenses:
-travel in Business Class for flights over 4 hours (there are no real First Class in Canada)
-meals are covered or at least per diems
-stay in 4-5 star hotels depending on the city, I typically look for the W or any hip hotels
-car rental or taxi provided
-alt travel arrqngements, so instead of flying home for the wknd, you can fly to an alternate destination, covered

In the end though, it gets old fast! I have been ordering food from economy as I am so sick of eating the same food over and over in business class
Old Sep 16, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Another vote for working for a large, multi-national company. Many, many various functions travel for a variety of reasons that change all the time. Having spent more than 20 years working for one, I've traveled the world in a variety of positions. However...........

Also another vote for - it gets old quick.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I will repeat what I have said before when this question comes up. I think that the people asking it usually imagine some nonstop series of international first flights, sipping champagne, chatting up the attractive blonde in the bar of the luxury hotel you are staying in, and tacking on three days on a beach after the meetings are over. The reality, always, is a little different.

In my last job I flew an average of about 130 flights a year and spent about 120 nights in hotels. I did this for six years, all over the world. I am not complaining, since hotels were 5* and flights were always C or F, fully flexible. If two weeks went by without a flight, the airline's special services department called me to see if everything was ok. Seriously.

The novelty wears off very quickly and you begin to miss your family. I had no time for FT, incidentally! I really enjoy my job and am happy that I have the opportunity to visit my clients all over the world.

If I were you, I would choose my career based on what I enjoy doing. The travel will follow. Choosing a career because you get to travel will not have a happy ending, because the reason you are being sent somewhere is to do the job, not to sip champagne in F and see the Eiffel Tower. And chances are you'll be in some crappy 3* hotel in the middle of nowhere and have to fly home in the middle seat on a Friday night.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
You haven't seen my sofa. You haven't tried my cooking. Get me on the road!
Yea for real. My fridge has booze, mixers, condiments, and I think a half-finished four pack of frozen Jimmy Dean breakfast sammiches
Old Oct 11, 2011, 4:24 pm

Uncommon jobs that require travel

Hey everyone. I've checked some of the existing forums for answers that would help me, but have had little luck.

I have recently graduated from college with a B.A. in Political Science and I am looking for a job that requires 50-75% travel (preferrably one with both national and international travel).

I have applied for some entry level consulting positions but most of the jobs require IT/Com Sci/Engineering degrees... Which I obviously don't have.

I have also looked at auditor job listings, but again to no avail because I am not an accountant either.

I have pretty poor eyesight (partial color blindness and not correctable to 20/20 - so I won't be a pilot in this lifetime either). And I don't think I have the patience to be a flight attendant either (furthermore, I would like a job that utilizes the skills I ascertained in college).

I am a military veteran and do not wish to re-enlist, so this is also not an option.

Furthermore, I have approx. 14 years experience in retail sales and do not wish to sell people products or services anymore (at least not in a B2B or retail context).

So to reiterate, can you please help me by telling me what kind of jobs that exist that would allow me to travel extensively (without having to return to school to get another undrgrad degree or a masters)? Preferably one that would give me experience working with governments/legislative representatives.

Sorry for being so loquacious...but I wanted to be very specific in order to yield very specific responses.

Thank you in advance for any information that you can supply.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 4:52 pm

Courier.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I've always wondered a political scientist does...your guess has to be better than mine. What kind of jobs were your classmates offered? It seems like you've already eliminated everything -- sales, consulting, military contractor. The only thing left, and I have known people who did this, is to teach English in foreign lands but I don't think it's very well-paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.