Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVED] What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (pre-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVED] What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (pre-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA
TV Production crew. Reality TV, sports & documentary crews travel a bit. Usually on Southwest, because they're the only ones that give media a break when it comes to flying equipment...Some crews have an engineer drive a truck to the locations (like the NCAA Tourney for example).

I've worked with many camera ops, production assts, lighting, audio, directors, field producers and talents who've traveled the country. Whether it's a crew from Man v Food Nation, ESPN, Turner/CBS or just guys covering national kart racing, they go where the show goes.

It's a tough, tough industry to get into, long hours (expect to work 12-15 hour days for network gigs), but it's tons of fun.

Another option would be a sports reporter. Even if you work for a local market, the station might send you out for the playoffs if your local teams are any good.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'm not a chemical engineer, but I'd say that any engineering field offers plenty of opportunities involving travel. Develop an area of expertise, develop your communication skills, and build a reputation as a problem-solver. Look for these kinds of roles:

1. A big company with many sites needs to send technical experts out to those sites for monitoring, compliance, and technical trouble-shooting. The company also needs experts to help set up new sites and train the local staff who will run them.
  2. A small company might do consulting within a specific technical area. Their consultants travel the world, providing expertise to clients.
  3. A company of any size that sells products (or services) into the industry needs technical experts on its sales staff. As one of these "sales engineers" you will travel extensively to meet new clients, explain the benefits your solution offers, and help implement & train. I manage a team of these sales engineers.

#3 is especially familiar to me because I manage a team of sales engineers.
I manage a team of field engineers and sales engineers as well, and I can attest to the fact that all of us travel pretty much constantly (Usually 2-3 weeks per month), although we do not get any say as to where we go. As of right now, I have staff travelling to SAP, AVP, EVV, TLH, and SNA. Not exactly garden spots, but it beats going to an office every day.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:14 pm

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
So...not to resurrect an old topic, but...I am graduating this summer with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Criminal Justice & Criminology. I really want to travel. Know anything that would utilize my degree?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by frubio2012
So...not to resurrect an old topic, but...I am graduating this summer with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Criminal Justice & Criminology. I really want to travel. Know anything that would utilize my degree?
Get any job you want for 3-4 years, then the FBI has plenty of high travel jobs.
Old May 14, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Wow...

Originally Posted by 2wheels
Get any job you want for 3-4 years, then the FBI has plenty of high travel jobs.
I never read that thread before...some pretty interesting travel jobs out there.

Mine is much more low-key.

I work for the State and have travelled in my last three states jobs...just over 10 years now (20 years w/State).

I would suffer severe burnout if I had some of the travel jobs discussed in this thread. Mine is so low key that I don't even know if it would be considered a travel job--ha!

I am on the road 50% of the time. One week in, the next week out. I don't like to spend more than 3 nights at a time...makes a big difference, oddly enough. I used to have a coworker that said, "the difference between 3 nights and 4 nights is a month." Say what? It is soooooooo true. I have every other Friday off so I try to schedule the week I am in the office on the same week I have the Friday off.

I only have within my state...all over the place though. I usually fly...but it is SWA. But this "light" travelling job has afforded me and my husband some amazing places that we may not have otherwise been able to pull off. At least not the places we stayed at as a result of acquiring points.

I am an investigator and there are so many different jobs within state government that travel...just about every job that entails certification/licensing and/or complaints. I've been a Complaint Investigator for an alcohol and drug program, Program Consultant for a Social Service that audits files in every county (the most boring of all) and now an investigator for another program for a public health department.

Ironically, we hire "students" to do many of the investigations for us (they look the part)...they are required to be in college in the Criminal Justice track. Many of them move on to Corrections, police officer....parole officer. Whatever they can find to get their foot in the door.

But you really do need to mirror what you do at home. I don't go and whoop it up when I'm out of town any more than I whoop it up when I'm home on a Tuesday night--ha!!! And after ten years, I have the food/exercise thing down. I know the hotels by their gyms and if they don't have one, there is typically a 24-hour near by. I haven't missed a week of exercising in over 20 years...whether I'm in the field, on a cruise, in another country on vacation...it has just become something I do like brushing my teeth. Sometimes the food is a little more tricky, but I can pack enough and take with me in a cooler (very, very easy to do) and not need to stop at a grocery store once in 4 days!).

Good luck!!!
Old May 27, 2011, 5:20 pm

Career choice for travel?

Ok.. don't yell at me yet, and I know this is my first post, but...
read on first, please.

I know there are a lot of threads on here for what careers involve travel. I have read a lot of them, hence how I found these boards, but I am not finding what I am looking for. So, I will ask, and if I missed it somewhere, then, I apologize. ^_^

I see all the different careers listed, most often consultant comes up, but what I need is where to begin. I am 30 years old with very little college under my belt, and no majors done. I have about a semester worth of gen/eds done, and thats about it. Life didnt allow me to afford to go to school and keep the bills paid. Now I can go back to school there is very little that actually seems like a good career path. The only thing I truly enjoy is being on the road or in the air. A lot of people posted "this job can get you abroad, after ten years experience" and things of that nature, but what can I go to school for that will get what I am looking for right out of school, or very shortly thereafter? I am very technical minded, and quite creative (but no real artistic skills i.e drawing / graphic design is out) with only 3 passions... cars, entertainment, and travel. I would love to be an entertainer of sorts, but it is not a practical path, as getting a decent income is slim to none, hence the phrase starving artist. So what should I look for since I am going back to school, (again!) that is both enjoyable (as in getting me out of the house most of the time) and has a high probability as actually getting hired somewhere? I am open minded as to particular jobs, I just dont know what has much success. (Of course when I mention success, I know there is an emphasis on my own abilities and such, but it is a general question.)

Example, I saw someone is a sound guy for a traveling entertainer of sorts. As cool as that is, that is a one off.... I am trying to find out whats more practical, so I can set up my classes to be geared towards a realistic goal.

Thanks guys! Sorry that got long.
Old May 27, 2011, 6:40 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
If you're technical as in IT, many of the larger software and hardware vendors do onsite support/disaster response for key customers. You'd probably have to certify with the vendor via Prometric exams (or whoever does their tests, usually it is Prometric) then take a traditional phone support gig to start, but it's a foot in the door. You'd also probably have to live near the support center for starters. The exception would be if you worked for a customer to learn the product but you'd have to learn it extremely well.

I won't lie-- it's not easy to get these gigs-- but it's definitely possible. I work one of those gigs; we usually get our new field engineers from the support ranks, and our support centers will hire some candidates with only a general technical background, and train them up. But with the current economy, you have to be a very strong general tech to beat out the competition. Once in, you'd need maybe 2 years in Support to come onto our team. I'm not offering you a job here, just telling you how it works in my company, and we're relatively similar to the rest of the industry.
Old May 27, 2011, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
You're not too old to become a flight attendant or cruise director.
Old May 27, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Air Marshall
Old May 27, 2011, 9:44 pm

@Bear - I looked into flight attendant... they said I was too tall at 6'3" that was with UA... is that standard?

@Patti - yeah I do IT for people I already know with numerous devices.. how should I progress on the educational level?
Old May 27, 2011, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by CptJackRabbit
I looked into flight attendant... they said I was too tall at 6'3" that was with UA... is that standard?
I don't know, but try Emirates. They hire a lot of Westerners. You'd base in Dubai. It's said to be an interesting experience for young people.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:37 pm

What type of sales were you in or doing?

Thanks!!
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Golfed yesterday with an Engineer who is leaving for India today..
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:03 pm

I work for an energy management company. Application engineering. I find my self traveling more and more.

A typical day for me is:
waking up at 2am, getting to dfw to catch the 5am to ORD.
jumping on the next flight to BUF.

Doing whatever I have to do there for the day.
Working my way back to DFW and back in bed by midnight.

Or early morning flights to MIA, doing the job, then meeting a crew that afternoon in say Ft. Myers. Catching a flight back to MIA then back home.

I do stuff like this at least 3 times a week.

It really wears you out.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 12:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I like to add..

Professional Athletes.. i.e. team sports such as NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.