Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVED] What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (pre-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVED] What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (pre-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: AAEXP, MRPLT
My field is software so that's what I know.

There's lots of smaller companies that offer either uncommon talents or provide niche products with large geographic reach.

Out of necessity, we're all over the place since there's little work anywhere near HQ. (Totally awesome, I know!)

Port operations, mining, specialty manufacturing, construction management & aviation/maritime support for example have global demand but aren't concentrated enough anywhere to support a purely local presence.

You definitely have to be good at the job, enough to warrant the expense of getting flung thousands of miles away for a transient period. Otherwise, your first gig will be your last.

You also have to like what you do and where you're doing. I'm primarily a developer, one of the uncommon talents, and I love writing and shipping software. I also love being underway so I have the perfect job right now.

A technical track isn't the only way though. A buddy of mine traveled the world with a show company. Another was purser on a cruise ship. Another is an accountant.

You can make almost any career a traveling career if you're worth it.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 5:36 pm

Question Jobs Requiring Extensive Travel

Hi All!

I am hoping someone (or a few) would be kind enough to help with this one...

I am a young, single guy who loves/lives to travel (especially internationally) and am really interested in finding a job that requires extensive travelling. I honestly feel like I could live on the road for months at a time if needed to.

Whenever I search online for this top, all I find are the obvious...
pilot, flight attendant, military, travel writer, etc.

I have no interest in the pilot/FA/military route. Travel Writer interests me, but I don't know how hungry one would have to be between jobs.

Can you all suggest jobs that fall into the category? Or maybe could you tell me what industry you're in and give me some clues about where to look?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA basic, BA basic, AF basic
Sports Agent?

International businessman?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
All kinds of sales jobs.

If you like beer, there are some fantastic
small breweries that are expanding at explosive rates and are looking for regional reps. Take a look at Stone, Dogfish, etc. Get in pretty much on the ground floor in a vibrant business, not something to sneer at in this economy.

Probably not much plane travel until you move up in the organization. I bet you could earn a zillion hotel and credit card points, though.

If I were young and single, I'd look at that, but then I am a beer geek.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Mar 28, 2011 at 6:19 pm
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: HH Gold, GP Diamond, ICH Plat, SPG Gold, WN A List, National Exec
Electronics Field Service. The skills can easily be obtained through a second means of travel(military). I know people in this line of work that wouldn't even need to keep a primary residence if they didn't want to.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

if you are a good looking guy, then go for sales.. esp pharma sales rep.
consultant also comes to mind.. but if that was your route, you would've gone that direction by now.

entry level doesn't translate into extensive work travel unless there is a significant amount of grunt work involved.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Moving this thread to TravelBuzz.

Please follow there.

Thanks.

Cholula
CommunityBuzz Co-Moderator
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:09 am
Suspended

I was an auditor for a national retail chain, and started out travelling all over the country (US). Not all glamour...unless you think a Comfort Inn in Tulsa is glamorous, but it beat the hell out of a cubicle and daily office bs.

Now I do something similar for a multinational corporation, and spend time all over the world. Slightly better than the comfort inn at Tulsa, but I still end up in such places. I can be in Berlin one week and Des Moines the next. I will leave an alpine hotel in Innsbruck Austria, get on a plane and be at the Days Inn by the freeway in Denver the next morning. It's interesting.

What you want to pursue is a career in some sort of "district" capacity and move it into "regional" and then to "national" etc. Retail, accounting, auditing, project management, shipping, or some transnational industry. I would try to get in with an international company to start.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
All kinds of sales jobs.

If you like beer, there are some fantastic
small breweries that are expanding at explosive rates and are looking for regional reps. Take a look at Stone, Dogfish, etc. Get in pretty much on the ground floor in a vibrant business, not something to sneer at in this economy.

Probably not much plane travel until you move up in the organization. I bet you could earn a zillion hotel and credit card points, though.

If I were young and single, I'd look at that, but then I am a beer geek.
I'm not single, only fairly young, and the brewery rep sounds like a good idea to me.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The easiest way to travel internationally if you live in the US is definitely to start by moving to another country. Like Luxembourg

OK, that was partly in jest, but you get a lot more jobs with international angles if you're not living on a subcontinent like the US.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
there are mutiple threads on this in miles buzz....iirc...

state dept courier?....

what are your qualifications, experience, education, etc...

good luck...
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by clacko
there are mutiple threads on this in miles buzz....iirc....
There are plenty here in TravelBuzz too:

A career that involves tons of travel?!

What career involves a lot of international travel?

@OP: If you search FlyerTalk using job/career/travel as search terms you will find many more threads with lots of ideas
Old Mar 29, 2011, 1:29 pm

Consultant
Old Mar 29, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver
cabin crew???
Old Mar 29, 2011, 9:49 pm

My butler, though you'd need to speak at least 8 languages, and you'd be traveling in Y.

Dude, are you serious?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.