Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVED] What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (pre-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVED] What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (pre-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2007, 1:27 pm

Programs: SK*S, AA PLT, US*S
Well, some people really like to get away from their family for a while. However, the spouse is often not as supporting.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
My spouse is supportive because he has already retired! Show him the money!

I suppose I am 'blue' on this subject because I have given away an awful lot of weekends with no hope of getting comp time. (Professionals in my company don't get comp time).

Also I'm in the phase where I'm repeating cities, hotels and air routes. Flight attendants not only recognize me on sight, but sometimes comment on a new bag!

Travel used to be a great deal more fun in any case. Now I'm satisfied with a decent cup of tea (very hard to get) along the way. If pre-frequent flier miles count be counted in some way, I'd have an incredible total.

For a young person (who doesn't remember when First Class really was great) it might be an interesting way to live for a while.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 2:01 pm

Programs: SK*S, AA PLT, US*S
Well, I was actually commenting on my father's frequent travel, who has had about 250-300 travel days the past 30 years... To my knowledge, he is still loving it. My mother, on the other side, should probably not be asked.

I remember waiting for my father to come home for supper, when we got a call from his secretary, who told us he was on his way to New York, Tokyo or somewhere else. It's hard for the family, but some people simply love traveling, even if it is work.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Exactly. Travelling for work is a definate perk. I've never had any complaints about it (aside from always wanting to do more).
Old Apr 14, 2007, 6:31 pm

Asia Jobs Availability?

Does anyone know of any jobs available in Asia that would require frequent travel? Please PM me. Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Like others have said in the IT field being a consultant is the easy way to travel. Entry level don't expect to be going to anyplace glamorous, and paln on going to the exact same place for weeks on end on a project.

In sales you have a region and stay within it except for maybe some training and the periodic corporate sales meeting. Staying in your region usually means commuter planes and alot of trips to podunk.

Get a job doing install work for some company that sells a cool widget and you'll be all over assuming they make good widgets.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:05 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let me merge this thread with one of the same title that's much larger from last Fall. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a degree in Management Information Systems.

It seems like the general consensus here is that some sort of consulting position is the best fit. I will look into those... Thank you all for the suggestions.

If anyone has (or knows of) any openings, feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to send you my resume!
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:51 am

[QUOTE=bdesmond;7583334]Like others have said in the IT field being a consultant is the easy way to travel. Entry level don't expect to be going to anyplace glamorous, and paln on going to the exact same place for weeks on end on a project.[QUOTE]

I guess it depends on the company...I travel Monday morning, and leave the client site Thursday afternoon (working from home Friday). The only time I've ever stayed the weekend (Phoenix, AZ if it makes a difference), is by choice.

I guess glamorous is subjective...you're right, most projects arent going to be in (insert favorite city here), but for me, as long as the projects are in a major city/some place I've never visited that seems interesting, I consider that a win in my book.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Traveling as part of one's work is no picnic. It often means being away from home on weekends....and not getting paid for it.

Gotta agree with you. If you are salary and fly during nights or weekends, well good on you giving the company free work. If you are hourly, some companies don't let you charge overtime for the flights.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jaybert
I guess glamorous is subjective...you're right, most projects arent going to be in (insert favorite city here), but for me, as long as the projects are in a major city/some place I've never visited that seems interesting, I consider that a win in my book.
Sure ... just the past couple years at least for me I haven't done much major city hopping. IMO any major city in the US has no shortage of consultants both for the major firms and local ones - why fly people in every week? The smaller cities, towns, etc don't have this luxury so they have to import the labor so to speak.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:32 pm

Career choices to satisfy desire to travel

I want to preface my post by acknowledging the fact that there are at least a few threads on this particular topic. While there is some useful information from them, I feel as though my situation my be a little different. Also, this is my first post, so forgive the rookie mistake

Here goes:

I'm a 20 year-old college student (soon to be 21) who is studying political science at the University of Nevada Las Vegas. Because my mother was a flight attendant for United for close to 40 years, I've been privileged with seeing many parts of the world (and more often than not in the front of the cabin - spoils you doesn't it?). I've had a love of aviation since I was very young. Even though we live in a different world insofar as travel is concerned than was the case just a few short years ago, I find the need of travel to be a constant in my life. With all that said, and the context of me being a poly sci major, what possible career options are there for someone who pictures himself traveling nearly 50% of the time for business? I know it may sound strange for someone to consider *how* they get to work rather than *what* their work is, but for me it would seem to be a vital component.

I have a cousin who is based out of Boston and works for a management consulting firm. She travels...probably more than I breathe air. I know this is a career area in which significant amount of travel is involved. Any insight anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Plane geek.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:53 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
flyboy4165, congratulations on your first post as a FT member! With my TravelBuzz mod. hat also on, let me offer to retitle your thread slightly and move it to our TravelBuzz forum for discussion there, as your earnest question is not necessarily limited to those who fly UA. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United and TravelBuzz forums. P.S. As time permits later today, I'll cite to some of our related threads on this subject and possibly merge yours with some recent past one(s)
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:03 pm

Well thanks very much! True, the question wasn't United-specific. I posted it here only because my mom was an FA for them and I'm still loyal to the brand :-D
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Here are a few threads on the subject. There are many more on the website. Just look for flying, career, etc

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773528

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=582808

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.