Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would you switch a good seat for a worse seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
In my case, it would depend on the circumstances greatly. My inclination, however, is basically that if I paid for a better seat somehow I would not switch unless compensated for what I paid (I might even take a bit less than I paid if the better seat got me more points/miles). If I didn't pay for the "better" seat assignment I would be inclined to do so if asked nicely (if asked rudely I would be inclined to decline, and if it was phrased as a demand I would either refuse or do so under protest and raise hell with the airline later).

More broadly, I do think there is something to be said for airlines letting this happen in the first place...at the very least there should be a no-charge way to tag a reservation to allow a family to be assigned seats together, with a guarantee of one parent being with any children under a given age such as 12 or 14 (even if that assignment puts them in the back row by the latrine, the system would override any automatic seat assignments to put them together). Basically they wouldn't be able to choose where they were seated together, but they'd be guaranteed of the seating at least.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by HMO
I don't remember the last time I was in a plane so empty...

In 1994, we flew out of CLT just ahead of a massive ice storm. We were going to Provo in the Turks and Caicos Islands (PLS) and there were maybe 10-15 on board as nearly all the incoming flights were delayed.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: BA GfL
Just pushing back now on a LAX-HNL flight. I am in 1B; the guy in the window seat was hovering over my seat when I arrived, and immediately asked me to switch. I said no, because I am fanatical about aisle seats for several reasons, and always book them well in advance. He then muttered "worst f....ing seat on the plane" and sat down in his own seat. Five minutes later he offered me $50 to switch, complaining that he was 6'5" and too cramped. When I asked about switching for another F seat, he claimed that he had already asked everyone else in F and all had refused (yeah right). I said no again, and said that I was sure that someone in a coach exit row seat would be happy to switch seats with him. He didn't seem enthused about that option. Now I have to spend the next 7 hours sitting next to the guy.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:07 am
HMO

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Now I have to spend the next 7 hours sitting next to the guy.
Good luck...
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Another example why only the words "no thank you" should be used, cutting off all discussion.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:06 pm

That's pretty much what I did--a firm "no" both the first time and the second time, no equivocating. I was surprised about the $50 offer--that's a first for me. But I didn't even consider it for a second. In any case, he lived through the flight and actually mellowed enough by the end of it to be pointing out the Big Island out the window as we got close to HNL. Whew.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:08 pm

Stewie on Family guy said it best,

Lady "Excuse me, do you mind if we switch seats so my family can sit all together?
Stewie "No, we don't we-we don't switch."
Lady 'Cause when we booked, they didn't have three together
Stewie "Ma'am, ma'am, your poor planning does not constitute an emergency for me. You'll see him in Paris. Go sit down."

Gold!, I choose my seats for a reason, I'm not moving
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelmad478
That's pretty much what I did--a firm "no" both the first time and the second time, no equivocating. I was surprised about the $50 offer--that's a first for me. But I didn't even consider it for a second. In any case, he lived through the flight and actually mellowed enough by the end of it to be pointing out the Big Island out the window as we got close to HNL. Whew.
$50 sounds pretty good.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
$50 sounds pretty good.
Not good enough. I need to get up and walk around frequently during flights and don't fancy climbing over some huge guy to do it. Maybe $500 would have swayed me.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I have been known to swap within business class (as I marginally prefer the aisle in business, but view most business and first seats as equivalent), but will generally not in economy unless it is an equivalent or better seat, since the comfort difference between seats is more dramatic in economy.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Meh... Just two weeks ago a swapped seats with a woman who got downgraded from F to Y on a flight from CLT to AUS. Neither she nor the FAs asked but I was in a good mood and I thought I could handle riding in the back. While I enjoy being comfortable, the lady was on the larger side and I'm sure she appreciated the extra room more than me.

Of course I don't swap seats often, but I try to be a nice person one in a while.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mbece
Meh... Just two weeks ago a swapped seats with a woman who got downgraded from F to Y on a flight from CLT to AUS. Neither she nor the FAs asked but I was in a good mood and I thought I could handle riding in the back. While I enjoy being comfortable, the lady was on the larger side and I'm sure she appreciated the extra room more than me.

Of course I don't swap seats often, but I try to be a nice person one in a while.
Pardon my ignorance but how does someone get downgraded?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TMM1982

Pardon my ignorance but how does someone get downgraded?
The seat she was assigned to wasn't working (it has the "do not occupy" band) and she was running late from a connection with everyone else in first already in their seats so the agent said they thought she wasn't going to make the connection.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mbece
The seat she was assigned to wasn't working (it has the "do not occupy" band) and she was running late from a connection with everyone else in first already in their seats so the agent said they thought she wasn't going to make the connection.
Ah okay. I've never had that happen but that has to be disappointing as hell.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:01 am

Yes, if I could rewind history I would have vacated my business class seat the other day and gone to economy. Why - because the guy in the window coughed up a lung the entire way and I've been doing the same today. I would rather travel in economy than get sick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.