Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would you switch a good seat for a worse seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:36 pm

To me, this is the best possible scenario. I like the window but I book the aisle because I like to get up often. When someone asks to swap seats I tell them that I can swap but they will likely get up every hour to let me out. It it is bulkhead like for you it's ok to climb over them but if it isn't bulkhead they can't sleep in the aisle and lock me in. Sometimes they decide not to swap but at least they understand and it makes the next 7 hours better.

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM1982

$50 sounds pretty good.

Not good enough. I need to get up and walk around frequently during flights and don't fancy climbing over some huge guy to do it. Maybe $500 would have swayed me.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
My question is really long, so here's the full question:

"Would you switch a good seat for a worse seat if a mother asked you to accommodate her child to sit with her?"

I actually witnessed 2 cases in one trip recently. In both cases, the passenger who was asked was kind and gave up an aisle or window seat to sit in the middle in another row.

However, I did not like seeing how the women asked the passengers. They approached their "targets" in a demanding way, as if the passenger wouldn't be a good person if he/she were to decline the request.

One of them didn't even say "excuse me" or "please" in what I heard. She simply talked like she was a flight attendant, by saying that she "was trying to get two kids to sit together."

Fortunately, I wasn't asked. But, as I was sitting in my aisle seat in the crowded plane, I was wondering what I would have said. I was particularly tired with a back pain that day, so I didn't feel like moving as I was already settled. But, honestly, I would have agreed if the woman had asked nicely. I really didn't like the way she asked as if it was her right.

What do you all think?
Two questions:

1. Is she hot?
2. Is the worse seat beside her in a three-seat configuration?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I would find anyone wanting to change seat rude if not capable of explaining nicely his/her situation for the change. I can be very nasty when jerky people bump on me or seat next to me with unpolite behaviour.

I can be very polite too on the positive side. I have had few times people ask me change seat and most of the time it has been easy to accodomate the question.

2 examples come to my mind.

Once FA was asking people in the front of Y cabin to move back to balance the plane and nobody moved. I volunteered as I did not have hurry with my connection, so thought heck it is only a short leg, why not. I was replaced from aisle-seat (next to me empty) to last row seat (next to me occupied).

Other time I was seating in the back of a longhaul Y and I had so low mood anyway due the Y seat that I found absolutely no problem to change for a seat adjacent to a mother with a crying small baby. There was a lady who, at the time of still not even taxiing off, did not bear the cry of the child. I have kids and have flewn with my newborns and I am more or less "deaf" to baby scream, so I was empathetic to the mother who was seemingly "sweating" off the pressure she must have been feeling from neighbouring passenger due to the crying baby.
I am pretty empathetic to small babies on plane, whereas I do have trouble to put up with a little older rage-kids not controlled by their lazy parents
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:59 pm

Here is another strategy. My family of 5, including 3 kids under 10 was on a ATL-lax flight a few years ago. I was on a separate reservation from them as work paid for my ticket. I try unsuccessfully for 8 weeks to get us together on the flight but simply can't make it happen. I manage 4 together but the last one is 7 rows away.

Come the day of travel I actually get upgraded to first. I board with first to grab overhead space as we only have one bag for overhead bins and that way my wife and the kids can board last (they were in the first 2 rows of coach).

So everyone is getting settled in and I approach the guy on the aisle next to my wife and then 3 year old daughter and ask if he will swap seats with me. He asks if it's an aisle and I tell him 'no, it's 2a- a window. I've never seen someone move as fast as he did at that point.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Father-of-3
Here is another strategy. My family of 5, including 3 kids under 10 was on a ATL-lax flight a few years ago. I was on a separate reservation from them as work paid for my ticket. I try unsuccessfully for 8 weeks to get us together on the flight but simply can't make it happen. I manage 4 together but the last one is 7 rows away.

Come the day of travel I actually get upgraded to first. I board with first to grab overhead space as we only have one bag for overhead bins and that way my wife and the kids can board last (they were in the first 2 rows of coach).

So everyone is getting settled in and I approach the guy on the aisle next to my wife and then 3 year old daughter and ask if he will swap seats with me. He asks if it's an aisle and I tell him 'no, it's 2a- a window. I've never seen someone move as fast as he did at that point.
I would have kept the first class. lol
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Father-of-3

Weirdly enough offering someone a better seat than the one they had didn't get the same reaction as being offered a worse seat than the one you had.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: UA 1K/Million Miler, AA Platinum, Starwood Preferred Gold, Marriot Gold, HHonors Silver
I did swap my preferred aisle seat to a window on one of United's crj 200's a few weeks ago.

The passenger who had the window next to me was massive, at least 6'5, and 280.
He asked nicely and explained he would like the aisle so he could at least stretch one leg into the aisle. It was under an hour flight so I made the swap.

It's got to be torture for anyone that size to fly on a devil's chariot. I am only 5'5 and I dread flights on those planes.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: none

Yes. But if it's a middle seat, I ask for some money. I preferred to be compensated for my troubles. The longer the flight, the more I ask.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pdpdoogie
Yes. But if it's a middle seat, I ask for some money. I preferred to be compensated for my troubles. The longer the flight, the more I ask.
How much would you ask to switch to a middle coach seat from New York to Sydney non-stop?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I'm reluctant to change seats because I try to plan ahead and choose the best possibility for which I can plan.

Latest seat switch- I was on BA. I boarded early in a WT+ bulkhead seat that has a bassinet. I stowed my luggage, and headed to the lav. When I came back a mother with a young infant had taken the seat next to me, and had covered the items that I had left in my seat with her stuff (a blanket and some other baby items). Upon reaching my seat, she asked me to switch with her husband, one row back- aisle for aisle exchange. This was a TATL flight- about 7 hours. I hesitated, but decided that since it was a day flight, I could accommodate.

My irritation at this switch was twofold: first, I resented the stuff on my seat, and secondly, the husband tried to make full use of the the recline in the seat. I couldn't work on my laptop. At that point, I pressed the issue and forced him to move the seat back to no recline.

My irritation was to the entitlement about disrupting my flight. If I accommodate, why should I be inconvenienced?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
I'm usually pretty good with swapping aisles for windows, etc., especially in premium cabins so couples or families can sit together. I'm not as flexible with single-minded travellers who simply "want an aisle instead of a window." I don't know if I'd swap for a middle seat in the back between two passengers of size, but I usually don't mind.

Not too long ago, I swapped an F seat for a Y seat on a short MSY-DFW flight. A person boarding had recent abdominal surgery and was clearly having trouble. Overheard her asking the FA if she could have a seat that was closer to the front so she wouldn't have to walk as far. I told her she could have 4E, I'd trade with her.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by handspring088
My irritation was to the entitlement about disrupting my flight. If I accommodate, why should I be inconvenienced?
The entitlement factor is a killer for me, and I'd be especially guarded because BA charges for advance seat assignments. IMHO, it's all about how the person asks.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TMM1982
How much would you ask to switch to a middle coach seat from New York to Sydney non-stop?
First born male child.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:50 am

Generally no, but there are exceptions. If we're talking about a pregnant woman, a senior or a person with disabilities, topped with a polite approach, I'd most likely be swayed, especially if it's only a few hours flight.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:13 am

My wife and I were flying EWR-BCN a few years ago. Our friend gave us two upgrades and we made it up into BusFirst or whatever United called it. We ended up with two aisle seats, one behind the other. We had booked two seats together back in Y.

I asked one person if he would swap so I could sit next to my wife and he said no. Apparently, he really wanted the window seat. As it turned out, Clyde Drexler said he's switch with me. He was heading over for a reunion of sorts of the Olympic Dream Team.

If he hadn't switched, I think we would have survived.

Before people assume and freak out that a family or couple haven't bothered to arrange to sit together, please consider that the airlines make equipment changes etc. Several times we've paid for E+ and gotten seats together. We show up at airport and voila, new plane and different seats. Not our fault.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.