Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would you switch a good seat for a worse seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you switch a good seat for a worse seat?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by LondonElite
By whom? Cabin crew or passengers?
First by the male then the female pax, they pressured the FA to ask who told them (politely) but in no uncertain terms to get lost and sit down.

Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
I would've just laughed and thank them for having sense of humor.
After being awake for 30 hours, I had no sense of humour and was just looking forward to my glass of bubbly and a few hours sleep

Was fairly happy to be left alone to enjoy my HKG -> SYD hop with a pleasant seatmate.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
First by the male then the female pax, they pressured the FA to ask who told them (politely) but in no uncertain terms to get lost and sit down.
What a bunch of DBs. As I may have said above, I would have suggested that the Y+ seat mate would likely be happy to swap with your seat mate, so that the two lovebirds can sit together!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: UA
Likely I wouldn't switch even for a small child and parent unless to a better seat. People seated next to each other at the back in economy would probably like to move up so the parent and child (or couple) can sit together. Also, many times someone won't downgrade their seat to sit next to their spouse or SO, but they expect a stranger to downgrade their seat.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: LH HON
Did move a couple of times. Even stuff like 20A - exit row in Y - to 155Z toilet seat. As long as you are gentle and having kids involved I'm high likely to swap with you.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Anna Phor
How do those work when the kid pours chocolate milk on you?
You get a bill for dry cleaning and anything else your offspring destroyed.

Considering how often I dry clean anyway that's not really a problem for me. Nor is buying a new Macbook pro anywhere in the world or having it express delivered on your dime.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
This nails it.

Originally Posted by theddo

Considering how often I dry clean anyway that's not really a problem for me. Nor is buying a new Macbook pro anywhere in the world or having it express delivered on your dime.
Great response to passive aggressiveness at its worst.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by theddo

^
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Reading this thread makes me want to get a pair of movie glasses, rush onto the plane, put them on, and simply be oblivious to the efforts of others to improve their seating arrangement. Sadly, the only ones that get a good rating cost almost a thousand dollars.

I suppose one can do the same thing with earbuds and eye shades for almost nothing.

Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:40 pm

In a word, no. There's always the chance I may make an exception but it'd have to be a very complling reason. I typically only tavel for pleasure now and usually book the seats I want months in advance so the chances of me switching are about nil.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I'm only 14 so I'll offer some thoughts from the "other side". When we travel as a family (of 4), we'll ask the gate agent if there are empty seats available together, even row 40 toilet seats, so we can sit together, if not, we just make do with what we get and accept that life gives us c**p.

EDIT: One situation where I would gladly move is on a totally empty flight, such as the UA1205 KOA-LAX I flew a couple weeks ago where there were literally three people in the 753's back section:

Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:09 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
EDIT: One situation where I would gladly move is on a totally empty flight, such as the UA1205 KOA-LAX I flew a couple weeks ago where there were literally three people in the 753's back section:

I don't remember the last time I was in a plane so empty...
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by HMO
I do; it was 1984.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What a bunch of DBs. As I may have said above, I would have suggested that the Y+ seat mate would likely be happy to swap with your seat mate, so that the two lovebirds can sit together!
Oh I did as with all requests, swap to the inferior seat. As you can imagine it didn't go well.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by HMO
Back in the olden days (almost 40 years ago) they used to fly a lot of "night coaches" with lower fares. I was on one once and there were only four or five people on the plane, and it seemed like a big plane at the time, with three seats on one side and two other the other.

I'm only 54, but I flew some as a teen-ager, so I'm not just super-old. Again, back in the olden days a young teen could fly at no extra charge, which was nice.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
I'm only 14 so I'll offer some thoughts from the "other side". When we travel as a family (of 4), we'll ask the gate agent if there are empty seats available together, even row 40 toilet seats, so we can sit together, if not, we just make do with what we get and accept that life gives us c**p.

In your image of the almost empty flight, I wonder what someone's reason would be for asking you to swap seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.