Reload this Page >

Funniest/weirdest/bizarre event/gathering you've witnessed at hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Funniest/weirdest/bizarre event/gathering you've witnessed at hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:58 pm

I've unfortunately (or fortunately?) not run into anything fun like the above scenarios. SHOT in Vegas is always fun. There's so many cops and tough looking military guys milling around the Venetian that I'm afraid to actually drink, or gamble. Or do anything fun.*Gulp*

I did attend a firearms trade show in Minneapolis and it was uhm, interesting to pretty much be the only woman there not wearing cowboy boots and camo. The hotel bar made good money that weekend. Very good money.

Range night was fun. I was one of two women and the only one not afraid of actually shooting a gun, surrounded by a bunch of industry guys.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA
About 10 year ago, I got called to work in rural Oklahoma during a labor stoppage. The last available room for a hundred miles in any direction was at a Best Western, due to a local dog breeders' convention. The motel was swarming with dogs. My room adjoined that of a loud, soap opera-watching, chain smoking woman with a yippy little dog that barked non-stop.

Fortunately I was so tired at the end of each day that I was able to tune her out, filter the invading smoke with a wet towel jammed under the door, and forget about the large, faded blood stain on the carpet in my room.

A couple days later, the convention was over and I checked into a Hampton Inn in a nearby town.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
Years ago, when Delta had their hub at DFW, I misconnected and ended up with about 6 hours on my hands and nothing to do. I left the Delta terminal and made my way over to the hotel in the middle of the complex to look for a decent place to eat dinner. I ran into one of those Anthony Robbins motivational seminars, where one of the things they did was to walk across a pathway of hot coals in bare feet. I watched a couple of the attendees do this. By far the weirdest group of people I've seen in a hotel.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by jcwoman
I enjoy the amazed looks by non-greyhound people who have the fortune to be at the hotel at the same time we are. Two to four dogs per person walking around the hotel - our calm, quiet, elegant, long-legged, soft-eyed little beasties make a huge impression when seen in large groups like that.
Sorry, I know this is OT because it didn't happen at a hotel, but it did happen while I was travelling. Your post reminds me of the time when I went down to the Halifax, Novia Scotia waterfront and unexpectedly saw a big parade of greyhound owners and their people. It was part of some kind of greyhound rescue event. As a dog lover, who'd spent many happy hours sharing a friend's armchair with her couch potato greyhound (yes, I know that's redundant), I was seriously pleased. And, of course, the dogs were pleased to get those behind-the-ear scratches.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My Dad was at a hotel in Denver a couple decades ago with a "Little People" Convention. He said there were step stools in front of all the check-in desks and by the elevator buttons.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Dragonbelle
Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas earlier this year. A group of Chinese tourists were standing in the lobby, amidst a sea of shopping bags. I knew that Chinese are legendary for shopping wherever they travel. I just didn't realize that included Sin City, which does have its share of outlet stores.
Top two favourite Chinese past times are gambling and shopping. To do both on one trip is a bonus.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
A few years back I was staying at the Hampton Inn near Madison Square Garden. While the event wasn't in the hotel several guests appeared to be attendees. It was called Brony Com - where middle aged men dress up like My Little Pony horses. Not only was the odd enough, but the outfits were very skimpy and I assume there are sexual undertones to this convention. Thankfully i didn't have much interaction with these characters!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
...Some kind of furry-scifi-anime convention where every single person was dressed in a costume for breakfast. I'm still not sure if it was sexual in nature, but I overheard some pretty strange conversations.
I had the same experience in Pittsburgh a few years ago attending a Red Sox-Pirates series with friends. Can't remember what hotel we were staying at, but it and the whole city center were overrun by both of us: 50% grown-ups in furry bunny, teddybear, etc. full-body costumes, 50% Red Sox Nation clad in hats and jerseys straight from Yawkey Way. Furries at the Heinz museum, furries at the Duquesne Incline, furries at Primanti's late at night. It made for a fun weekend.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Several years ago, I was getting ready to move from Hawaii to the mainland and I got a room at a hotel in Waikiki after I sold my condo. The hotel elevator's were being re-furbished and only 2 of the 4 elevator's were working. This made for some very long lines waiting for the elevator. During the time I was there, they were having a Bikram Yoga training convention. Apparently, this is where aspiring yoga people went to get accredited to teach this type of yoga. This type of yoga requires it to be in a very hot room (like 100 degrees or so). Invetibly, I would come back to the hotel about time the yoga people were finished for the day or on break. Have you ever had to share an elevator with a dozen of sweaty, smelly yoga students? It's not pleasant. The worst part is some would get off on floor 2 or 3. Really? You can't walk up 2 or 3 flights of stairs? One day I was fed up and said, "why don't you take the stairs?" They got upset and told me that it was hard to walk up any stairs after 10 hours of hot yoga.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I once shared a cruise with a convention of funeral home directors. Actually an extremely fun bunch.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Stayed at a hotel where there was a gun show being held. Only guest in the hotel that didn't wear a cowboy hat

Originally Posted by JimJ321
A few years back I was staying at the Hampton Inn near Madison Square Garden. While the event wasn't in the hotel several guests appeared to be attendees. It was called Brony Com - where middle aged men dress up like My Little Pony horses. Not only was the odd enough, but the outfits were very skimpy and I assume there are sexual undertones to this convention. Thankfully i didn't have much interaction with these characters!

Just to clarify, Brony Con (and bronies in general) has nothing sexual involved at all. They just enjoy the most recent incarnation of My Little Pony. It is a pretty strange enjoyment, but then there are many that find an enjoyment of flying to be just as strange
Old Jul 4, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Bondage Fest Vegas. Have a friend who is a professional dominatrix. Some of the most unusual yet hilarious experiences in my life being a guest to that.

I think it was Cleveland convention of accordion enthusiasts. Those guys & gals sure know how to party. I admit I crashed this one and was later welcomed for it.

In Los Angeles there were 2 events going on at the same event hall. A Bar Mitzvah in the East Room and Baaligh in the West Room. Some, from both sides, seemed nervous about the situation but when you got to see the very close similarities of the two events many of the groups interacted in ways nobody could have imagined when they booked their event room. Bonus to me was being able to get a cheeseburger by trading for the better baba ghanoush served in the East Room.

Not at a hotel but my former college roommate's gay pride party last weekend sure was interesting. The things a "breeder" gets away with at those things is great. Also getting hit on by the gays is always a good ego stroke.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Jul 4, 2014 at 8:50 am
Old Jul 4, 2014, 1:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by wrp96
I once shared a cruise with a convention of funeral home directors. Actually an extremely fun bunch.
People are dying to spend time with them.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by invisible
I once - FurCon at San Jose.

Your turn.
I was at one at the DoubleTree San Jose. We were having a business meeting at the bar when the VP of engineering shouted,"Oh my God that woman has a tail" Meeting adjourned after the howls of laughter.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by wrp96
Meteorologists are rather fun too. (That was not unexpected, it was a conferences about the influence of the weather on naval history).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.