Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ethical Question: Amenities kits in F/J left behind by psgrs. fair game?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

Agree that it's fair game, like books & mags I leave behind.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: All of Them
as long as you have a set of the new giant headphones, Beats by Dr. Dre etc, you can do whatever you want on a plane or in the airport.

"Oh, that guys just listening to music, hanging around" as you swoop in underneath their noses and save on your toiletries bill for the next month.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I can't say that if I was walking out of Y and saw an unused amenity kit, I would take it. However, flying J a few years ago to/from Europe, I asked my seatmate if he cared if I took his when we deplaned. He didn't care and I gave it to my mom (she likes to reuse the little bag).

Way off topic but when I was younger and attending a sporting event, I would collect the leftover souvenir plastic cups (typcially with the sports team logo or game on it). I used to have a whole cupboard full of plastic cups from a variety of teams/events. Luckily, I finally realized that glass cups are much better for guests.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: All of Them
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I can't say that if I was walking out of Y and saw an unused amenity kit, I would take it. However, flying J a few years ago to/from Europe, I asked my seatmate if he cared if I took his when we deplaned. He didn't care and I gave it to my mom (she likes to reuse the little bag).

Way off topic but when I was younger and attending a sporting event, I would collect the leftover souvenir plastic cups (typcially with the sports team logo or game on it). I used to have a whole cupboard full of plastic cups from a variety of teams/events. Luckily, I finally realized that glass cups are much better for guests.
I still have 100 Georgia Tech plastic cups from a 1995 football game, great deal
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Richklhs
I still have 100 Georgia Tech plastic cups from a 1995 football game, great deal
1995 was my freshman year at Tech. Which game?

gt4301b
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Why would you take an amenity kit that isn't yours? That's just cheap.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
never thought of it, but if anyone would like some, I have a huge collection,
they make great Christmas stocking stuffers for kids.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.2MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Not a crime, but not something I would do. Maybe "dishonorable" is the way I'd describe it.
I agree "dishonorable" is the right word, but I certainly think it would be ok to politely ask a flight attendant if you could have one. I suspect that those still wrapped in plastic are reused.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by etch5895
Why would you take an amenity kit that isn't yours? That's just cheap.
That's a stupid question - people will take it because they can use it or give it to someone who can. Obviously, the original owner didn't need it. I have done this a few times. Bags I've given away to relatives to use for makeup. The contents I've used. The way I see it it's abandoned property, so it's a fair game. Once the FA hands it to the passenger, it becomes theirs. If it's left behind, the cleaning crew will most likely have to pick it up and whether it's reused afterwards or not is probably decided based on airline's policy. I wouldn't take a chance that it will get trashed and grab one on my way out if I can. I don't walk around the premium cabins and collect these - I check if there are any wrapped ones on either side of the aisle I use to deplane and grab one and only one. So, maybe it's frowned upon or "dishonorable" as some claim but I definitely don't see anything wrong with it. And it's definitely not the same as grabbing stuff from the maid's cart at hotels for 1 simple reason - the stuff on the cart is not designated for a specific room/person and is hotel's property - same as the amenity kits that are yet to be distributed to the passengers on board. Once the items are in possession of the guest/traveler they are theirs to use as they see fit or in some cases leave behind.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: UA1K
I don't see anything unethical about taking an amenity kit left behind. Not sure the airline cares, and if the original recipient cared about it after it was left behind, that passenger should probably reconsider taking it off the plane or return it to an FA for disposal at the airline's discretion per their policies. My guess is that the plane cleaning crews, who may have no affiliation with the airline, ends up disposing of the kits.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I collected plastic cups with my brother after many a baseball game when a teenager... I still grab one or two on the way out of a sporting event if I'm walking past anyway, especially if it's something post-season or otherwise noteworthy. For whatever reason I never did it at a Tech game... gtg053a, AE '06.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:14 am

I understand unused amenity kits are re-used by most airlines - and opened ones are tossed. I would think the airline would appreciate Y pax leaving the unused kits and don't care if they take opened ones.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
That's a stupid question - people will take it because they can use it or give it to someone who can. Obviously, the original owner didn't need it. I have done this a few times. Bags I've given away to relatives to use for makeup. The contents I've used. The way I see it it's abandoned property, so it's a fair game. Once the FA hands it to the passenger, it becomes theirs. If it's left behind, the cleaning crew will most likely have to pick it up and whether it's reused afterwards or not is probably decided based on airline's policy. I wouldn't take a chance that it will get trashed and grab one on my way out if I can. I don't walk around the premium cabins and collect these - I check if there are any wrapped ones on either side of the aisle I use to deplane and grab one and only one. So, maybe it's frowned upon or "dishonorable" as some claim but I definitely don't see anything wrong with it. And it's definitely not the same as grabbing stuff from the maid's cart at hotels for 1 simple reason - the stuff on the cart is not designated for a specific room/person and is hotel's property - same as the amenity kits that are yet to be distributed to the passengers on board. Once the items are in possession of the guest/traveler they are theirs to use as they see fit or in some cases leave behind.
So you see it as acceptable to snag any "abandoned property" you see lying around? What if somebody left a more expensive item behind, like a laptop. They walked off and left it, so now it's abandoned, right? O.k. to take that, too? Where do you draw the line on taking things? What's stealing and what's abandoned property?

The amenity kit is a gift from the airline to a specific passenger. If the recipient doesn't want it, I think ownership would default back to the giver, not the general public.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by erik123
I understand unused amenity kits are re-used by most airlines - and opened ones are tossed. I would think the airline would appreciate Y pax leaving the unused kits and don't care if they take opened ones.
So taking an unopened one might be considered the equivalent of stealing from the airline rather than preventing items from going to the landfill? The kits do cost them money, and if it would be given to a future pax, then it is one less kit the airline would have to purchase.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
If the recipient doesn't want it, I think ownership would default back to the giver, not the general public.
In many US jurisdictions, it MIGHT escheat to the state but not to the airline. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.