Reload this Page >

Airline Club tipping etiquette

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline Club tipping etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
Is there anyone who does not tip under any circumstances? If so, what type of hostile glare or comments result? Or, are there no consequences at all? I suppose it might make going back for a second drink risky...
Many people tip in lounges, but it's nowhere near as entrenched as tipping in a 'regular' bar (i.e. where almost everyone does it).

Therefore I think it's ok for you to decide whether you feel like the service and the circumstance warrants you leaving a tip - and you shouldn't be treated/feel like any kind of social pariah if you don't.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
It strikes me that pretty much everyone on this forum gives tips at least for alcoholic beverages. Is there anyone who does not tip under any circumstances? If so, what type of hostile glare or comments result? Or, are there no consequences at all? I suppose it might make going back for a second drink risky...
No everyone AMERICAN on this forum seems to tip under any circumstance for anything. Thats the culture, and whatever, let it be.

If I sit at the luonge bar, I *may* tip if I am getting good service, but I am not tipping for just getting one/two glasses of wine and going on my way to sit somewhere else. How can going back for a 2nd drink be risky? This isnt exactly the most popular in NYC on a Friday night, the most you ll have to wait is an extra 10 seconds before you get served because the bartender chooses to attend to the high tipper first.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
No everyone AMERICAN on this forum seems to tip under any circumstance for anything. Thats the culture, and whatever, let it be.

If I sit at the luonge bar, I *may* tip if I am getting good service, but I am not tipping for just getting one/two glasses of wine and going on my way to sit somewhere else. How can going back for a 2nd drink be risky? This isnt exactly the most popular in NYC on a Friday night, the most you ll have to wait is an extra 10 seconds before you get served because the bartender chooses to attend to the high tipper first.
I think you're taking my post a touch too seriously. I was just making a light joke about the possibility that a vengeful bartender could mess with a drink in retaliation for not being tipped (see the Doorman articles on this forum).
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: *G
only in US lounges
only for alky drinks
only 1$ per drink
Or - pretip 5$ if I plan to have a few drinks AND the bartender is friendly

Much prefer international F lounges where you get better drinks brought to you and no backwards tipping etiquette
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I tip based on service in airline clubs. I've been incredibly disappointed with my trial USAirways club membership because I feel like they hardly offer anything worthwhile. Bud & Bud Light are the only free beer choices, and their wine selections are equally limited. And the snack offerings are weak. I've never encountered a decent bartender at their clubs, thus I don't think I've ever tipped. The service is pretty much along the lines of "here's your beer. You're bothering me."

Delta's clubs, on the other hand, almost always warrant tipping from me, though I will say that I like the ones with the self-serve bars a lot better than the ones where you have to visit the bartender. I've found that the bartenders provide very good service, and a solid tip on drink #1 usually yields a little stronger pour on drink #2. Their snack offerings are very good, too, in my opinion. So, I'll tip in the Delta clubs periodically. I also feel like I get a far more sincere "thanks" from the Delta bartenders than I've ever gotten in a USAirways club.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Being a Brit I don't get this at all.

Who tips flight attendants? I guess no one? Why not? Surely they deserve it more than bar staff?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation

Originally Posted by bioblot
Being a Brit I don't get this at all.

Who tips flight attendants? I guess no one? Why not? Surely they deserve it more than bar staff?
dont worry, no one outside the USA gets it - although the tipping disease has spread to Canada at a lower level sadly.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:33 am
RNE

When in Rome...

America has a tradition of paying its workers poverty wages and counting on the pity of patrons to make up the difference. I don't care if you're a Brit or a Martian; when you're in a restaurant or bar in any country you should follow the local customs.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
That works both ways - and we know it doesn't actually, as some Americans seem wedded to tipping even when it is not the custom and it is not necessary. Try going to the Caribbean, and you'll find the tipping disease has spread there
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by RNE
America has a tradition of paying its workers poverty wages and counting on the pity of patrons to make up the difference. I don't care if you're a Brit or a Martian; when you're in a restaurant or bar in any country you should follow the local customs.
Although that's true in Israel where many waiters don't get any salary because they rely on tips, though nowadays, I think most restaurants, at least reputable ones, "guarantee" staff the minimum wage, meaning if they don't make it in tips, the manager agrees to pay them enough to cover minimum wage.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Although that's true in Israel where many waiters don't get any salary because they rely on tips, though nowadays, I think most restaurants, at least reputable ones, "guarantee" staff the minimum wage, meaning if they don't make it in tips, the manager agrees to pay them enough to cover minimum wage.
I think Israel was right up there with the USA in tipping ridiculousness and expectation. At least in the tourist industry, I found tipping not only expected, but outright demanded.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Not that I'm aware of - never once been asked for a tip in a taxi. Tips aren't taken by delivery men or servicemen. Even in hotels, tips aren't needed and rarely requested.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
untrue, and practicing as such is generally illegal (though based on precedent, instead of legislature). The few (usually Haredi, though not necessarily) places that do not pay at least minimum wage (regardless of tips) are nothing less than an abomination and usually take the tips themselves (and perform tax evasion, and should be closed down).

Semi-OT: To all of you planning on visiting Israel, please tip no more than 10% under normal circumstances in bars/restaurants, and none to taxi drivers.

Disclaimer: I have at least 1 relative who waits in the Jerusalem area
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:04 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

If I'm getting my usual, a cranberry "juice," I won't tip. But if I'm going on a long-haul and make my typical long-haul request (a handful of lemon slices), I'll give a buck.

Though I don't find the bar staff rushing to help me anyway (could be my youngish age), so I'll just chat with the Spanish-speaking club staff and get better service. Or in the case of the TG lounge at HKG, speaking Chinese helped out a lot, and cheered up one of the women. Though of course, no need for tips there.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:53 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I'm probably tipping way too much, since $1-2 at most airline clubs get a surprised look and profuse thanks. Especially for soda.

The world doesn't need another tipping thread, but part of the problem, at least in the US, is that the tipping is customary based on the server getting less than minimum wage and making it up with tips. But it's culturally taboo to ask every server their financial stats at the conclusion of the transaction.

High-end servers or bartenders where I live easily make over 50k/year in tips. By the minimum wage logic, they should be getting a lot less in tips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.