Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Airline Club tipping etiquette

Airline Club tipping etiquette

Old Jun 1, 13, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
I'll tip on alcohol, but I avoid getting non-alcoholic beverages because of the whole awkwardness of tip/no-tip thing. Tipping $1 for a small cup of soda seems crazy, but I also feel bad not leaving anything at all, so I just stick with the water that they have out or tea/hot chocolate if I'm not getting alcohol.
Old Jun 1, 13, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Antipode View Post
I'll tip on alcohol, but I avoid getting non-alcoholic beverages because of the whole awkwardness of tip/no-tip thing. Tipping $1 for a small cup of soda seems crazy, but I also feel bad not leaving anything at all, so I just stick with the water that they have out or tea/hot chocolate if I'm not getting alcohol.
I see no difference in service between opening/pouring a soda and a draft beer or wine.
Old Jun 1, 13, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
I see no difference in service between opening/pouring a soda and a draft beer or wine.
But there is a difference in value of what I receive. One is worth it, one isn't.
Old Jun 1, 13, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Antipode View Post
But there is a difference in value of what I receive. One is worth it, one isn't.
I would see your point in a restaurant, where the tipped value is normally a percentage of the meal price/value.

I see things differently in a bar, where tipping a busy bartender for water (zero value in your estimation) is just the right thing to do.
Old Jun 1, 13, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA GS
If they'd serve real size drinks in real glasses, they'd get real tip. That's why it is $1 for wine for me and nothing for soda. In my opinion the clubs should all have a setup like SFO for soda and juice.
Old Jun 1, 13, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by kenn0223 View Post
I think the standard is 20% of the retail value of whatever you're getting or at least $1. So for soda I would say definitely $1, beer $2, mixed drinks and wine $3-5
On what planet does one glass of junky house wine, or a mixed drink made with cheap well booze, retail for $18 to $25?

I would see your point in a restaurant, where the tipped value is normally a percentage of the meal price/value.

I see things differently in a bar, where tipping a busy bartender for water (zero value in your estimation) is just the right thing to do.
Hence why I use the water dispensers instead of getting anything from the bar. I don't get your point.

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Most airline lounges in the world (developed world, at least) are self service, which IMHO is a much better arrangement. It's nothing against any particular bartender, but I cannot see why one should pay money for the disutility of having to use a bartender.
In fairness, champagne is usually "on request" at the LGW lounges available to BAEC Silver members … except when the queue gets too big and they give up and leave bottles on the bar: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...champagne.html
Old Jun 1, 13, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by star_world View Post
^ That's the puritanical US alcohol laws for you - so many places where that's not allowed.
I have been to many lounges in the US where the alcohol is self poured, UA international first class lounge at ORD, BA lounges etc.
Old Jun 1, 13, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The way I see it, the rules of tipping (like the grammar of natural languages, but that's a different story) have resulted from generations of social development, and they don't respect any simple logic.

My basic understanding is that I'm expected to tip $1-$2 for an alcoholic drink at a bar, regardless of what the drink is, unless I'm ordering a ton (or charging it to a credit card), in which case the tip is a percentage of the purchase. For whatever reason, I don't understand the same obligation to exist for non-alcoholic drinks. It looks like there some ambiguity on that point, but at least some others agree with me.

There are other service professionals who do a lot of work but almost never get tipped. For example, what about the omelette or meat-carving dude at a buffet? These things are just not very constrained by traditional ideas of logic.
Old Jun 1, 13, 6:04 pm

Programs: ua, aa, sas
Just leave a buck.
Old Jun 1, 13, 6:19 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
After a recent experience at the SFO UC, no matter how many $ were tipped would'nt get anything close to "service". The guy was too busy laying out dollar notes on the bar than catching anyone's eye who wanted a drink, he killed any desire to leave any gratuity.
Old Jun 1, 13, 6:42 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Most airline lounges in the world (developed world, at least) are self service, which IMHO is a much better arrangement. It's nothing against any particular bartender, but I cannot see why one should pay money for the disutility of having to use a bartender.
Having a real cyborg serve drinks to me is the only good thing about the hive. Self-service drinks would be the final straw! Anyway, I tip a few dollars right before I leave the hivenever on a drink-by-drink basis, which is the height of showy arrogance.
Old Jun 1, 13, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by SJOFlyer View Post
I always tip $1 for alcoholic beverages, no tip if it is for soft drinks.
+1
Old Jun 1, 13, 8:22 pm

I don't tip unless I can with plastic. I haven't carried cash in 2 years.

Search this Thread