Reload this Page >

Airline Club tipping etiquette

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline Club tipping etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:02 pm

I am surprised to read how few of responses mentioned basing their tips on the quality of service given.

The 'I always leave $x for y drinks' method only encourages servers to not see tips as earned for their service, but just 'random' money given based on how generous the customer happens to be.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Travelergcp
based on the server getting less than minimum wage and making it up with tips..
Its been established that airline club bartenders do not earn minimum wage, or server's wage that is expected to be made up with tips.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by will2288
I am surprised to read how few of responses mentioned basing their tips on the quality of service given.

The 'I always leave $x for y drinks' method only encourages servers to not see tips as earned for their service, but just 'random' money given based on how generous the customer happens to be.
Exactly. Service with a smile, I will tip. Otherwise, forget it.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Exactly. Service with a smile, I will tip. Otherwise, forget it.
Do FAs ever smile on your flights?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
I see the lounge as an extension of the flight experience. I don't tip the FA so I don't tip the bartender at the lounge.

Now at a bar in the terminal where you open a tab sure I will tip there same as any other bar or restaurant where the staff is making server wages.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
I see the lounge as an extension of the flight experience. I don't tip the FA so I don't tip the bartender at the lounge.

Now at a bar in the terminal where you open a tab sure I will tip there same as any other bar or restaurant where the staff is making server wages.
You raise a fair question - whether lounge bartenders are making server wages or better wages. I haven't seen any definitive answer. I ordinarily tip bartenders in domestic clubs a buck a drink. OTOH I don't usually tip hotel lounge attendants even in the U.S. unless they have provided some special service.

I suppose part of that is my assumption the lounge employees are earning wages better than the average server wage.

To offer an example close to home for me, I travel on British Columbia Ferries occasionally and sometimes eat at the buffet.

I would never consider leaving a tip because all of the employees are union members who earn $25 (est.) dollars an hour or more plus benefits.

If anything, they should be tipping me for keeping them employed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.