Airline Club tipping etiquette

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline Club tipping etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Hey OP, getting all the opinions you wanted? As you may have expected, there's quite a diversity of practices out there.

I usually tip $1 for a beer or wine. It's just pour and hand for those things. In real bars, I tip more for cocktails that actually require some effort to make properly. I'm not sure why anyone would try to tip 20% for a "premium" wine. It's just a simple act of pouring into a bottle.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
I only drink the soft stuff in the UC so I tip a dollar for the first soda and sometimes a second buck for another, especially if it's a bartender I know well (at ORD in particular).
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
This is OP. Thanks for all the responses.

I think I'm going to continue with my normal practice that I see others follow too:

$1 tip for alcoholic drinks, no tip for sodas, unless I plan on getting several.

Thanks!

-Tom9984
Old Jun 2, 2013, 5:49 am
RNE

Robert's Rules of Order: Always tip when you leave.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
For what it's worth, I actually asked the UA/US lounge attendants while doing my first couple check-ins this year (my first as a status flier), and they both said tip $1 for alcohol, no tip necessary for juice/soft drinks. So that's what I follow.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
For what it's worth, I actually asked the UA/US lounge attendants while doing my first couple check-ins this year (my first as a status flier), and they both said tip $1 for alcohol, no tip necessary for juice/soft drinks. So that's what I follow.
So its a MANDATORY charge now in their eyes?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
If you have to tip in the club, do you tip the FAs during flights? UA chose to have a bartender so leaving a tip seems forced. Plus the last time I went throuag an UA lounge the drinks were not free. So if they want to run a regular for profit bar they should say so.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
So its a MANDATORY charge now in their eyes?
Well, to be fair I asked what the customary practice was at the lounge bars. They didn't tell me that if I refused to tip my body would be found in the East River some days later.

It strikes me that pretty much everyone on this forum gives tips at least for alcoholic beverages. Is there anyone who does not tip under any circumstances? If so, what type of hostile glare or comments result? Or, are there no consequences at all? I suppose it might make going back for a second drink risky...
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Most airline lounges in the world (developed world, at least) are self service, which IMHO is a much better arrangement. It's nothing against any particular bartender, but I cannot see why one should pay money for the disutility of having to use a bartender.
I agree, I tip nothing.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
In the LH lounge at FRA you can serve yourself a lovely draught weißebier. I must remember to tip myself next time. I poured if superbly, even if I say so myself.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by mandolino
In the LH lounge at FRA you can serve yourself a lovely draught weißebier. I must remember to tip myself next time. I poured if superbly, even if I say so myself.
Only some lounges. It seems that in the LH club in IAD, the local alcohol laws seem to preclude self-service, so you have to ask an attendant to get it for you. They certainly do not seem to expect a tip, and I've never seen anyone tip there.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 2:00 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
Is there anyone who does not tip under any circumstances? If so, what type of hostile glare or comments result? Or, are there no consequences at all? I suppose it might make going back for a second drink risky...
I do tip, but not until right before I leave the hive. Therefore, I receive drinks repeatedly without tipping. If anyone is looking askance at me, I have never noticed. And the service is just as prompt and friendly for me on non-tipped drink #3 as it was for the previous drinks. So, my answer to your question is: there's no consequence at all.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 5:02 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Outside the US all the airline lounges I've visited are self-service alcoholic beverages--so NO tip (there is no one to tip) for them.
Until about 18 months ago, AA Admiral Clubs had NO complimentary alcoholic beverages; now they are free (but only ordered at the bar.)--but (with certain exceptions) this only applies to "house" stuff.
AA has 4 Flagship lounges (mainly for Executive Plat. and fc intl.), these have self-service alcoholic beverages.
AA Platinum and higher flying intl. can get better than "house" complimentary, but how do you know the price if its free (assuming you order by pointing), 20% of $0 is $0--so I would guess $2, for these would be fair.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
$1 per alcoholic beverage... it's a bar, wouldn't you normally tip your bartender?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:10 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by TimeToEarnMiles
it's a bar, wouldn't you normally tip your bartender?
Normally? Huh? I don't "normally" pay $400 to walk into a bar, for crying out loud.

RNE, saying I do tip, but there's nothing normal about a UC bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.