Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculous things your company has done to reduce travel expenses

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
Ok fine, but I'd say that the daily activities what many of us call "project managers" is very, very different from what most of us would call a "bean counter".

I agree with you, there is some resource investment in validating employee expenses, and that there isn't a way to eliminate that investment without creating additional risk.

My point was that the resource investment doesn't need to be separate - it can come from people who are already involved in the client-side work, and at a very minimal level. For the expenses that I have approval authority over, reviewing and approving expenses for a team of 5 people takes me maybe 15 mins/week. Tack on another 5-10 minutes if I have to send something back for revision.

Yes, in aggregate over a year and across all the people in the company, that time adds up. But in the grand scheme of things, the minimal relative investment is worth it in terms of risk reduction.

The part that I'm agreeing with Often1 on is that you can have your cake, eat it, and have ice cream on the side, too. Minimize the bean counting work, treat your employees well, and still protect yourself from the risk of passing out-of-policy expenses to clients.
I am responsible for signing off on expenses for my direct reports. Takes me about 15 minutes a month, probably. I wouldn't want to eliminate that -- at times I catch errors on the report that actually get more money in the employee's hands. Win-win, far as I'm concerned.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Often1
1. You continue to miss the point that with a per diem policy, there is nothing to "examine". The per diem for City X is $Y per day. You were in City X for 3 days, so you are reimbursed $Y x 3. In this model, the client is billed $Y x 3.

2. In modern expense systems, reimbursements to employees can be broken down quickly and efficiently, generally by the employee, as to whether the cost is billed to a client # or some internal expense #.

Not sure what the argument is since this one or the other of the above (or both) has been adopted by virtually every employer which does client billing.
I realize that per diem is easier. My point was that, in the cases I was replying to, it was necessary for the employer to check if the penalties for error were sufficiently high.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Ridiculous things your company has done to increase travel expenses

In Qatar (and probably other GCC countries) it's routine for the company to allow (or nominally require) a female Qatari employee who travels for business to bring a male relative "chaperone" with her on the trip, with the same allowances (e.g., business class flight, generous hotel and meal allowances, etc.) as the employee.

These colleagues, who are all adult professionals with lifestyles and preferences not much different from Westerners, have brought their fathers or brothers with them on trips. Not sure if they share the hotel room; probably not. I have not seen the chaperone accompany the business traveler to her business functions throughout the day (he's probably shopping or killing time at the pub).

I don't blame the employees so much. I suppose there is social pressure in the country to not be seen as decadent when traveling to Paris, New York, etc., but it's completely ridiculous. Ultimately it's partially just a means to provide welfare for the employees and the travel providers (of course some companies require travelers to take Qatar Airways, or at least the travel agent is instructed to book that by default without regard to cost or schedule).
Old May 8, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by florin
None of those places work outside the US.
Actually, just eat is in several countries, including UK, Canada, France, Brazil, etc. and is a Danish company. http://www.just-eat.com/
Roomservice is in Malaysia. https://www.roomservicedeliveries.com/
ufood (can't find the link right now) but I think is a French outfit.

So no, they are not only US-based.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by gooselee
Minimize the bean counting work, treat your employees well, and still protect yourself from the risk of passing out-of-policy expenses to clients.
+1

Sounds like a reasonable balance.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by sethb
Not passing those costs on still requires examining the bill to find them and remove them.
My clients never see my employee travel costs, they get included as part of the proposal. If the client is focused on how I pay my people instead of the result, I don't want their business.

I pay Conus rates per city or actuals with receipts. I expect full hotels with security and also expect hotel meals because I don't expect solo female biz travellers to roam DTW at night looking to make a cheap meal.

I don't review every expense report, but twice a quarter ask a team member to review a colleagues expense report in detail.

Stupid expense policies are my number one tool for talent stripping from big places.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: Most of them
One word. Concur
Old May 8, 2014, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I don't review every expense report, but twice a quarter ask a team member to review a colleagues expense report in detail.
Horses for courses obviously, but when a discrepancy can cost you dearly in fines and lost business a more hands on approach is required. I'm thinking in particular of Government/DoD contracts where alcohol can be banned competely.

Even the image of a strict checking function can help to limit any punishments if a case was to brought.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by ft101
Horses for courses obviously, but when a discrepancy can cost you dearly in fines and lost business a more hands on approach is required. I'm thinking in particular of Government/DoD contracts where alcohol can be banned competely.

Even the image of a strict checking function can help to limit any punishments if a case was to brought.
You're assuming pass-through of costs; LS said that he does contracts on a "$X for item Y" basis, where all the client sees is a bill for $X.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by sethb
You're assuming pass-through of costs; LS said that he does contracts on a "$X for item Y" basis, where all the client sees is a bill for $X.
Unless the client insists on reviewing the expenses or some irregularity elsewhere forces an audit.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by fracmeister
One word. Concur
I use Concur where I work. Not sure what your point is?
Old May 9, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roberino
Unless the client insists on reviewing the expenses or some irregularity elsewhere forces an audit.
If I quote a flat rate for a service, why would the client ask and why would I deliver an itemized listing of expenses?
Old May 9, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by RichMSN
If I quote a flat rate for a service, why would the client ask and why would I deliver an itemized listing of expenses?
Several possible reasons come to mind:

- It's their policy/requirement to understand travel costs
- They have to pay vendor travel costs out of a different bucket of money than hours
- Your competitor is bidding a much lower rate "plus travel" and they want you to break out the components of your bid so they can compare them better.

...These are just the reasons I thought of in the first 5 seconds.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Several possible reasons come to mind:

- It's their policy/requirement to understand travel costs
- They have to pay vendor travel costs out of a different bucket of money than hours
- Your competitor is bidding a much lower rate "plus travel" and they want you to break out the components of your bid so they can compare them better.

...These are just the reasons I thought of in the first 5 seconds.
Fair enough, but then it's my choice whether I wish to provide this information or not.

I've quoted many deals where I knew I'd be swallowing some travel costs compared with such an itemized accounting mainly to eliminate the administrative nightmare that is detailed expense accounting. In return, the client gets the luxury and confidence of knowing exactly what they are spending and not receiving a separate bill for travel and expenses.

The client shouldn't think that I can or will be willing to reduce the overall bill simply by itemizing expenses and then figuring out ways to squeeze blood from a stone.

If the client insists, I'd likely restructure the deal to one where itemized accounting is required and expenses are billed separately. But that will cost the client more most of the time.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
If comparing to an all-in flat rate, the company would be going to the wrong person. They have your total fee, they need to go to the lower but not all-in bidder to have them estimate their additional expenses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.