Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Pickpocket-proof Clothing??

Old Apr 15, 12, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club

There's an article on MSNBC about pickpocket-proof clothing and gear. As someone who's thankfully never been pickpocketed (fingers-crossed, knock on wood) but got close to several times, do you think these would be somewhat effective or effective at all? Here's the link: http://travelkit.msnbc.msn.com/_news...valuables-safe
Old Apr 15, 12, 7:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I think whenever there's a story on something that's supposedly pickpocket proof, the pickpockets will be the first people to buy it and start training on how to get around it.

Though of course the harder you make it for them, the easier it is for them to pass you by and go to an easier mark. And there's lots and lots of those out there.

My concern with things like pockets with two zippers and two buttons is while it may be really hard for a pickpocket to get your wallet, it may also be really hard for you to get your wallet.

It's better than an open back pocket or an open purse to be sure, it's just a matter of how much ease of use you want to trade to be safer.
Old Apr 16, 12, 12:43 am

+1 to what Mike said.

For people with half a brain this entire thing is not even a problem. The really important things (passport, ticket, 1 credit card) go in a pouch that is stuck to the inside of your waistband. They would have to strip you bare to get it out.

Everything else you just take so little and so non-valuable that you aren't a target.

Obviously, if you trapse around with an Hermes Kelly bag, you're a prime target. Same thing goes for promenading with a huge DSLR and a fat white lens attached to it.

The latter means you are a rich enthusiast or prof. photographer. In both cases your equipment should be insured against theft and you will be doubly aware of your surroundings.

If you (general you) walk through Rome or Barcelona with a wallet in your backpocket you are so dumb, you deserve to be the victim of a pickpocket to teach you a lesson. Money well spent.
Old Apr 16, 12, 1:24 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Situational awareness if your best defense
Old Apr 16, 12, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club
I would not carry my passport with me while sightseeing, it would probably be more safer in a hotel safe and you could carry a copy of it on you. I am always so tempted to carry a dummy wallet in my back-pocket and have a few dollar bills laced with itching powder along with some powder that would turn their hands red for a long time..talk about being caught red-handed Just to teach em a lesson!
Old Apr 16, 12, 10:37 am

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios
Originally Posted by chicagodesi View Post
I would not carry my passport with me while sightseeing, it would probably be more safer in a hotel safe and you could carry a copy of it on you. I am always so tempted to carry a dummy wallet in my back-pocket and have a few dollar bills laced with itching powder along with some powder that would turn their hands red for a long time..talk about being caught red-handed Just to teach em a lesson!
Some countries have rules stating a tourist must have their passport on them at all times (not a copy, but the actual thing)

For me vs the pickpockets--a round the neck pouch and in there goes passport, some cash and a spare cc card.

The other cash and ccard I carry in the normal manner (or in inside zipped pocket in a troublesome area). I also keep a 3rd card in safe at hotel in case someone robs me totally of all in my possession.
Old Apr 16, 12, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
For men, if it is not too hot, a t-shirt with a pocket worn under a shirt is fairly secure for a passport.
Old Jul 23, 13, 1:35 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
I've used these pants and shorts both and love them. I used to carry one of these flap things that went in my pants, plus a zippered belt for another hundred or two. Now I don't need to bring either. There's no way anybody is getting at my valuables with these on unless I get held down and stripped for five minutes. They're pretty bulletproof. And comfortable.

For what it's worth, they've already had five cases (four of them in Rome) where customers have written in about pickpockets giving up after trying to get into them. http://clothingarts.com/they_really_work
Old Jul 23, 13, 2:24 pm

There's an ad in the current SkyMall (or perhaps the Delta in-flight mag?) for a t-shirt (male or female versions) with pockets up each side, along the abdomen.
Old Jul 23, 13, 5:24 pm

For me the purpose of these clothing is it gives me layers of protection. I carry walking around money and 1 credit card in my front pocket wallet. Anything else I may carry will be divided up in other places. How many layers I carry all depends what I am doing. If I am sight seeing I carry one other credit card and some extra money in a more secure location as well as back up documentation. I store an additional credit card and the bulk of money in the hotel safe. If in route it is sort of the same routine but my passport goes in a location that I deem the most secure as well as the bulk of traveling money.

My one favorite piece of clothing are Tilley pants. Yes this is the same Tilly that make popular hats. Besides being nice looking and functional they are also well made and travel well. The best feature is the secret pocket. This pocket is big enough to carry your passport and small wallet. This pocket is also very hard to detect because it is in the actually in the pocket as compared to some that have a zipper next to the pocket. The secret pocket is secured with Velcro and hard to detect if you didn't know it was there.

I also can't agree that anyone deserves to be victimized by crime.

Shak
Old Jul 23, 13, 6:35 pm

I carry my passport in case of emergency so I can go to the US Embassy and get home.
cb
Old Jul 24, 13, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbredt View Post
I carry my passport in case of emergency so I can go to the US Embassy and get home.
cb
Scan your passport and email it to yourself. Easily accessible from any internet cafe, print, your done. You now have proof of US citizenship and can get into an Embassy to get a new passport. This is much safer than taking your real passport around every city in the world.
Old Jul 24, 13, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by planemechanic View Post
Scan your passport and email it to yourself. Easily accessible from any internet cafe, print, your done. You now have proof of US citizenship and can get into an Embassy to get a new passport. This is much safer than taking your real passport around every city in the world.
Or if you have a camera phone, take a picture of the inside cover of your passport. Not my idea but from an Israeli teenager seated next to me when an AF fligh attendant asked to see his ID before giving him wine (he was 18 and legal to drink in France).
Old Jul 24, 13, 10:15 am

LOL, those underwear with pockets reminded me when I was working as a cashier in a gas station. I really hated it when people pull out money from their sweaty socks to pay. I would have to lay them out on the county to dry them up! I am not sure which is worst.. money under sweaty socks or underwear...Ewwww.

And I don't know about Europe pickpockets, but in Asia, they use razor blades to cut the pocket or purse and slip out the contains. I think there are razor blade resistance pants and such, but it just sounds uncomfortable.
Old Jul 24, 13, 11:19 am

I only carry PacSafe products when travelling, they are well designed and well made.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: