Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pickpocket-proof Clothing??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by cascade
Situational awareness if your best defense
Yes! Very good. My sister told me about an experience she and her then boyfriend had while traveling, they were walking on the sidewalk at night (Los Angeles area, but could have been anyplace really) after a dinner, her then boyfriend (trained black belt) somehow got a funny feeling that they were being watched. He literally spun around to face right behind them, a hulking person that had sneaked up behind them. Being the black belt that her boyfriend was, he gave a strong "stance" position and scared the creepy guy off. My sister said the guy looked like he was about to grab her bag. Apparently some guys are really good about sneaking up behind you without your noticing.
I always try to keep a good invisible "boundary" around myself in public at all times even in foreign places where they don't have what we Americans call "personal space". I walk tall, look people in the eye and act like I don't take any BS!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
for some reason, I was imagining....

Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by globetrots
I've used these pants and shorts both and love them. I used to carry one of these flap things that went in my pants, plus a zippered belt for another hundred or two. Now I don't need to bring either. There's no way anybody is getting at my valuables with these on unless I get held down and stripped for five minutes. They're pretty bulletproof. And comfortable.

For what it's worth, they've already had five cases (four of them in Rome) where customers have written in about pickpockets giving up after trying to get into them. http://clothingarts.com/they_really_work
haha I like the link provided with the little story:

"I caught the eye of my wife and said, "pickpocket"; fairly loudly. When I did the woman with red hair whirled her head around and gave me a killer look of hatred..."

ooo I had a passport STOLEN out of my pocket in a restaurant/bar in Houston TX. I was stupid and trusting back then. Sometimes I have bored fantasies in my mind crafting thief proof clothes, maybe a Taser connected to a switch someplace. Urghgh I am still mad at myself for not being careful. You can't take too many precautions when it comes to your stuff, I would totally invest in those shorts in the link.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by fleef
haha I like the link provided with the little story:

"I caught the eye of my wife and said, "pickpocket"; fairly loudly. When I did the woman with red hair whirled her head around and gave me a killer look of hatred..."

ooo I had a passport STOLEN out of my pocket in a restaurant/bar in Houston TX. I was stupid and trusting back then. Sometimes I have bored fantasies in my mind crafting thief proof clothes, maybe a Taser connected to a switch someplace. Urghgh I am still mad at myself for not being careful. You can't take too many precautions when it comes to your stuff, I would totally invest in those shorts in the link.
I heard stories of old farmers in central Texas (where I spent my childhood) who had fish hooks sewn into a pocket or pockets of their overalls. The theory is you feel the hand in your pocket, move fast to set the hooks and you have a captive audience.

But seriously, taking a picture of the photo page of your passport should allow you to get a duplicate at an embassy or consulate.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:57 pm

Thanks for mentioning us in the thread - our gear is meant to give you options. First and foremost, they are great pants and shirts. Then we build levels of protection into the clothes. You choose how secure you want the pocket to be and where that security is. Basically putting security back into your hands.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Velcro is your friend, either as "original equipment" or "retrofits" to travel wear. While it may not stop a pickpocket, it provides an alarm of both sound and feel. It also protects you against a common failing, stuff falling or working its way out of pants' pockets while seated or jacket pockets when removing a jacket.

Velcro has probably saved more cellphones than have fallen into toilets.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:06 pm

I think that the secret compartment and others is still a deterrent to the pick pocket.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:06 am

I don't like the neck pouches much having experienced a thief using
a knife to cut a neck strap and make off with a camera.

I don't place anything in a back pocket that I'm not willing to lose.
I will place a wad of folded paper toweling in my back pockets as a
decoy but keep my wallet, passport, etc in my front pockets and be
very aware of those near me. That person who seemingly accidentally
bumps into you in the airport and excuses themselves profusely may
have just made off with your wallet & passport.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by Paul56
I don't like the neck pouches much, having experienced a thief using a knife to cut a neck strap and make off with a camera.
Pacsafe makes a couple of camera straps that are cut-proof. I have the small one that clips to a corresponding receiver looped to the camera.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dianne47
Pacsafe makes a couple of camera straps that are cut-proof. I have the small one that clips to a corresponding receiver looped to the camera.
Yup, I've got one also.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by mmgoodies
I only carry PacSafe products when travelling, they are well designed and well made.
My PacSafe wallet not only has a chain, but a thingamabob to make it quite difficult to remove the chain from your belt loop. At least I think it would be too difficult for a pickpocketer.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:39 am

Another pickpocketproof clothing link:

http://practicaltravelgear.com/p-cub...clothing-arts/
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
One of the posts above makes me ask a secondary question - should I leave my passport in the hotel (hidden in the suitcase, most likely, not out in the open, and I don't like using hotel safes) and just take a photocopy (I keep a PDF of it on my phone as well) or (as I have more commonly done) taken it with me in one of those wallets attached to my belt inside my pants? I like the idea of having it with me for an emrgency should I need it while out and about, but I'm not sure I've ever needed it.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Artpen100
One of the posts above makes me ask a secondary question - should I leave my passport in the hotel (hidden in the suitcase, most likely, not out in the open, and I don't like using hotel safes) and just take a photocopy (I keep a PDF of it on my phone as well) or (as I have more commonly done) taken it with me in one of those wallets attached to my belt inside my pants? I like the idea of having it with me for an emrgency should I need it while out and about, but I'm not sure I've ever needed it.
Take it with you. I have needed my passport to check into hotels, enter a game preserve, exchange money and even use a credit card while overseas. On two very tense occasions I REALLY needed my passport and a little scrap of paper with a photocopy might not have got the job done.

The photocopy stays in my hotel in case my passport gets stolen not vice-versa. The passport comes with me because it is the only internationally recognized document that identifies who you are and where you are from.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club
I still like my idea of a dummy wallet with a few dollar bills laced with long lasting itching powder

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.