FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jlemon Nov 4, 2012 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 19623421)
i have not searched this thread. i am an oldtimer, and may not live long enough to read all 124 pages, so i may be asking an already posted answer:sorry.
i flew on an empty (zero other passengers) i think, dc9 or 737, i think from mia, fll, or pbi to dca. on the stbd side of plane, the first row faced to the rear of the plane. the second row was a table. third row faced fwd. probably air florida, but could have been any other econo company. was probably christmas or newyears day, as i was returning form sorc race. this was with the prior wife, so was at least 40 years ago. anyone remember a plane with that front row faceing aft, and a table?

Hello slawecki and welcome to the old timers quiz!

I never had the opportunity to fly on Air Florida so I cannot answer your question, unfortunately....

However, perhaps someone else can.....

Seat 2A Nov 4, 2012 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 19623421)
I once flew aboard an empty DC9 or 737, I think from MIA, FLL, or PBI to DCA. The first row faced to the rear of the plane. The second row was a table. The third row faced forward. I'm thinking it was probably Air Florida, but it could have been another airline as well. It was probably Christmas or New Years Day, and was at least 40 years ago. Anyone remember a plane with that front row facing aft, and a table?

You may have been flying on US Air (Late 1970s onward) which operated its DC-9-30s from DCA nonstop to a couple of Florida destinations. The original Allegheny DC-9-30s had a table at the front of the single class cabin. So also did Piedmont's 737-200s, though so far as I know PI never flew from DCA nonstop down to Florida.

jlemon Nov 5, 2012 3:08 pm

And referencing the quiz items I submitted in post #1833 above, questions 2), 12) and 14) remain unanswered.....

miniliq Nov 6, 2012 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19617229)

2) Name the only airline that operated jet equipment into Santa Rosa, CA (STS) and identify the aircraft type.

12) Frontier was flying new MD-80 aircraft at this time nonstop between Denver (DEN) and seven different destinations. Name all seven.

2) In October, 1989, Westair, dba United Express had 4 nonstops per day from LAX-STS using a Bae-146. I think those were the first jets Westair acquired, so although the service may have started earlier, I'll guess that's the answer.

12) I only know DEN and DFW for sure. Probably ALB, SLC, TUL, MKC, maybe ORD.

jlemon Nov 6, 2012 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq (Post 19635694)
2) In October, 1989, Westair, dba United Express had 4 nonstops per day from LAX-STS using a Bae-146. I think those were the first jets Westair acquired, so although the service may have started earlier, I'll guess that's the answer.

12) I only know DEN and DFW for sure. Probably ALB, SLC, TUL, MKC, maybe ORD.

2) Correct! The BAe 146-200 service operated by WestAir as United Express into Santa Rosa did not last as WestAir replaced the British Aerospace quadjets with Embraer EMB-120 "Brasilia" turboprops on the STS-LAX route.....and then ceased service altogether from Sonoma County Airport to L.A.

These days, Horizon Air flies Q400 turboprops nonstop STS-LAX on behalf of Alaska Airlines.

12) Well, DEN was a given as it was the long time hub for the original Frontier! And, of course, we are looking for seven (7) cities served by FL with the MD-80 from DEN. I also think you meant ABQ instead ALB (Albuquerque, NM instead of Albany, NY).....

So here's how you did: ABQ, ORD, SLC and TUL were not served with M80 service from DEN by FL at this time, being July of 1983......but DFW and MCI (instead of MKC) were. So that only leaves five (5) more cities to be identified.....

Seat 2A Nov 7, 2012 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 19637644)
12) Well, DEN was a given as it was the long time hub for the original Frontier! And, of course, we are looking for seven (7) cities served by FL with the MD-80 from DEN. I also think you meant ABQ instead ALB (Albuquerque, NM instead of Albany, NY).....

So here's how you did: ABQ, ORD, SLC and TUL were not served with M80 service from DEN by FL at this time, being July of 1983......but DFW and MCI (instead of MKC) were. So that only leaves five (5) more cities to be identified.....

Well it was in June of 84, bit I did fly a Frontier MD-80 from Denver down to Phoenix, so let's go with that for starters. I would also add MCI, STL, DFW, OKC, LAS and OMA to my list of guesses.

jlemon Nov 7, 2012 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19642495)
Well it was in June of 84, bit I did fly a Frontier MD-80 from Denver down to Phoenix, so let's go with that for starters. I would also add MCI, STL, DFW, OKC, LAS and OMA to my list of guesses.

Well, miniliq already correctly guessed DFW and MCI....

And as for LAS, OKC, OMA and STL? No MD-80 air service flown by Frontier according the good old OAG back in July of 1983, although FL was providing service with their workhorse B737-200 aircraft to these cities.

So where was Frontier flying back then with the MD-80 nonstop into DEN? Here's the destination list:

Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) - 1 x daily
Des Moines (DSM) - 1 x daily
Kansas City (MCI) - 1 x daily
Los Angeles (LAX) - 2 x daily
Orange County (SNA) - 4 x daily
Seattle/Tacoma (SEA) - 1 x daily
Spokane (GEG) - 1 x daily - this flight also provided onestop service from Vancouver (YVR)

This leaves my crazy question 14) concerning UA's seasonal Saturday flights into GJT during ski season back in 1976 unanswered......so if there are no takers, I'll answer this one this evening.

Seat 2A Nov 8, 2012 1:29 pm

Good morning, all. I've just returned from a thoroughly entertaining month of traveling around the Lower 48 where I generally enjoyed temperatures far warmer than the -22°F we're presently dealing with here in Alaska's Interior. The good news is it's supposed to warm up to above zero by this weekend and may in fact even reach 15-20° on Sunday.

It's a toasty 68° here inside my cabin - just right for perusing an OAG or two in search of a few more questions. Many thanks to jlemon for taking the time to come up with such entertaining and challenging questions over the past month. While we await the answer to his question on service in and out of Grand Junction, Colorado (On my first trip to GJT in 1976, we parked next to an Air Canada DC-8-61!), here are fifteen more questions to ponder...

The first six questions are based upon schedules in the January 1st, 1973 OAG

1. Name the five airlines that flew between Kingston, Jamaica and Miami ANSWERED

2. What airline would you choose if you wanted to fly on a DC-9 between Albuquerque and LAX ANSWERED

3. This airline was renowned for its Klondike Coffee on flights to Alaska. All flights between Seattle and Anchorage were operated with the same type of aircraft. Can you name the airline and aircraft type you'd be enjoying those Klondike Coffees on?

4. Titusville, Florida received one flight per day. It was a jet. Name the airline, the equipment and where it flew to Titusville from each day. ANSWERED

5. What was the only US city served by the Canadian airline Nordair? Where did they fly into it from? ANSWERED

6. You want to fly on a four engine jet between New York and Houston. One airline offers a single flight per day with one. Name the airline and the jet you’d have flown upon.

The next four questions are based upon schedules in the October 15, 1981 OAG

7. What airline offered the only direct service from either Los Angeles or Las Vegas to Madison, Wisconsin? ANSWERED

8. There were three nonstop flights per day between New Orleans and Baltimore, each operated by a different airline. Can you name the three airlines serving this route? ANSWERED

9. You want to fly nonstop from New Orleans to Jacksonville. What airline do you call? ANSWERED

10. Which of these cities DID NOT have nonstop service to Honolulu? ANSWERED

Atlanta
Denver
Houston
New York
Phoenix
San Diego

The next five questions are based upon schedules in the November 15, 1970 OAG

11. What was the airline and aircraft type operating the only nonstop flight between Detroit and Albany, New York? ANSWERED

12. There were 15 nonstop flights a day between Chicago and Atlanta, and many more direct flights. How many nonstop flights a day were there between Milwaukee and Atlanta?

13. You need to fly from Portland, Oregon to Fairbanks, Alaska. Although there's no nonstop service (and still isn't to this day), one airline provides a direct one-stop service. Name the airline and the aircraft used for this service.

14. Which of these cities DID NOT have nonstop service to Honolulu?

Detroit
Baltimore
Oakland
Minneapolis
Anchorage
Denver

15. Only one airline offers service between Burbank, CA and Seattle, WA. with one nonstop and three direct flights. All flights utilize the same equipment. Can you name the airline and the aircraft type used on those flights? ANSWERED

By the way, I have published a trip report covering all 33000 miles my recent travels. Anyone at all interested may click on the link below.

The Great Affair is to Move- Travels by Plane, Train, Boat & Car Around America

miniliq Nov 8, 2012 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19649310)

The first six questions are based upon schedules in the January 1st, 1973 OAG

1. Name the five airlines that flew between Kingston, Jamaica and Miami

Welcome back 2A -- and thanks for the questions. I may not have much time to work on them today, but might as well start with number 1. I am pretty sure of Pan Am, Air Jamaica (JM), Dutch Antilles (LM), and BWIA -- but for the fifth I think I'll go with Caribair (CB) -- they had a few DC-9s that I think went to Kingston as well as the regular routes to MIA from SJU.

Seat 2A Nov 8, 2012 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq (Post 19649684)
Welcome back 2A -- and thanks for the questions. I may not have much time to work on them today, but might as well start with number 1. I am pretty sure of Pan Am, Air Jamaica (JM), Dutch Antilles (LM), and BWIA -- but for the fifth I think I'll go with Caribair (CB) -- they had a few DC-9s that I think went to Kingston as well as the regular routes to MIA from SJU.

You are spot on, miniliq! Excellent recall! DC-9s were the popular choice on this route except for Pan Am's 727 and BeeWee's 707.

cs57 Nov 8, 2012 3:29 pm

11) Detroit/ALB--How about Mohawk with a BAC111?

Seat 2A Nov 8, 2012 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by cs57 (Post 19650052)
11) Detroit/ALB--How about Mohawk with a BAC111?

Right on, cs57! There were eight or nine direct flights, but only one nonstop. Mohawk's "Variety Flights" introduced in late 1968 featured enhanced catering (even on its comparatively short segments throughout the Northeast) with things like strudel, soup and crackers, morning pastries and even Champagne (probably sparkling wine...)

miniliq Nov 8, 2012 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 19649310)

5. What was the only US city served by the Canadian airline Nordair? Where did they fly into it from?

ND had 737 service between Hamilton, Ontario (YHM) and PIT. Wikipedia says they also had scheduled service to FLL, but I can't find any evidence of that.

BTW, excellent and very detailed trip report 2A -- great adventure.

slawecki Nov 8, 2012 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq (Post 19649684)

about that time, we flewALM from mia to cur on a jet plane. later, bon-mia, on an irregular schedule.

Seat 2A Nov 8, 2012 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq (Post 19650200)
ND had 737 service between Hamilton, Ontario (YHM) and PIT. Wikipedia says they also had scheduled service to FLL, but I can't find any evidence of that.

BTW, excellent and very detailed trip report 2A -- great adventure.

Correct you are, miniliq! All of those Pittsburgh flights originated out of Montreal, stopped in Hamilton and continued on to Pittsburgh. Can't quite see the connection between the Steel City and French speaking, cosmopolitan Montreal, much less Hamilton but those were the schedules as of January 1973.

As for Ft. Lauderdale service, on the surface at least it makes more sense as a destination than Pittsburgh but it wasn't happening as of Jan. 73.

Thanks also for your kind words on the Trip Report. It was a lot of fun and frankly, I'm ready to go out and do it all over again! Still, responsibility calls me home to Fairbanks and it really is good to be home. I'm just always ready to go somewhere, I guess...