FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jrl767 Nov 8, 19 12:58 am


Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31714078)
Ah what the hey - let's give it a shot from my hotel room here at the Warwick Allerton in Chicago where a beer and a burger runs $32.76 with tip. I'm definitely out of place.


yikes! that’s waaaaay too rich for my blood too ...

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31714078)
Just got off the Empire Builder from Seattle and am off to Memphis tomorrow aboard a 22 year old 737-700 N700GS listed as #4 off the line back in 1997...


enjoy!

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31714078)
Awright, shots in the dark...


Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31714078)

1A. Bangalore to Bombay - Indian Airlines A300B
1B. Bombay to Tokyo NRT - Japan Airlines 767-200
1C. Tokyo to Seattle - Northwest 747-200
1D. Seattle to Billings - Northwest DC-10-40 via GEG and GTF

Wish me luck!


1A: BOM correct, IC correct, AB3 correct — well done!
1B: NRT incorrect, JL incorrect, 767 incorrect
1C: SEA correct, NW incorrect, 747 correct — remember this flight has an enroute stop ...
1D: NW correct, D10 incorrect, GEG correct, GTF correct — should be a very easy tap-in

Toshbaf Nov 8, 19 2:06 am

3A: BHX-AMS AirUK Fokker F-27
3B: AMS-ATL KLM Boeing 747
3C ATL-BHM Eastern Boeing 757-200

If these answers are correct, I have a bit of experience with some of these answers.
3A. flown on AirUK before. flown to AMS before but not from BHX. flown on a F-27 before.
3B. flown on a KLM 747-200 before, but not to ATL. Once was on PH-BUD Nijl (Nile River)
3C. flown on an EA 757 but not to BHM. flown to and from BHM.

jrl767 Nov 8, 19 12:19 pm


Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 31714245)
3A: BHX-AMS AirUK Fokker F-27
3B: AMS-ATL KLM Boeing 747
3C ATL-BHM Eastern Boeing 757-200

If these answers are correct, I have a bit of experience with some of these answers.
3A. flown on AirUK before. flown to AMS before but not from BHX. flown on a F-27 before.
3B. flown on a KLM 747-200 before, but not to ATL. Once was on PH-BUD Nijl (Nile River)
3C. flown on an EA 757 but not to BHM. flown to and from BHM.

half way there
3A: UK incorrect, F-27 correct

Seat 2A Nov 8, 19 6:39 pm

1A: BOM correct, IC correct, AB3 correct — well done!
1B: NRT incorrect, JL incorrect, 767 incorrect
1C: SEA correct, NW incorrect, 747 correct — remember this flight has an enroute stop ...
1D: NW correct, D10 incorrect, GEG correct, GTF correct — should be a very easy tap-in

Okay then, let's try this...

1A: BOM correct, IC correct, AB3 correct — well done!
1B: BKK via Air India 747
1C: SEA via Thai International 747 - stop in NRT
1D: BIL via Northwest 72S via GEG and GTF

P.S. I am now in Memphis, ready to board a 150 passenger conveyance down to New Orleans tomorrow. There will be a lounge onboard... What could it be...?

P.P.S. re. "let's give it a shot from my hotel room here at the Warwick Allerton in Chicago where a beer and a burger runs $32.76 with tip."

This hotel cost me $189.00 via an Amtrak promotion whereby I earned 5300 Amtrak Guest Rewards points. When I calculated the difference in price from the Quality Inn I'd booked out at Midway, the difference was a fair bit less than it would have cost me to purchase the points on the AGR website.

Tonight, I'm at the Sheraton Downtown Memphis about to go downstairs and enjoy some local delicacy other than BBQ. As jrl767 knows from our lunch in Seattle a couple of years back, that stuff is just waaay too messy for my tastes - unless they gots a dry rub...

Toshbaf Nov 8, 19 10:05 pm

3A: BHX-AMS NLM CityHopper Fokker F-27
3B: AMS-ATL KLM Boeing 747
3C ATL-BHM Eastern Boeing 757-200

jrl767 Nov 8, 19 10:17 pm


Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31717075)
Okay then, let's try this...

1B: BKK via Air India 747
1C: SEA via Thai International 747 - stop in NRT
1D: BIL via Northwest 72S via GEG and GTF

1B: BKK correct, AI incorrect, 747 correct forgot to mention that this flight was dual-marketed
1C: TG correct, NRT correct
1D: 72S correct

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31717075)
P.S. I am now in Memphis, ready to board a 150 passenger conveyance down to New Orleans tomorrow. There will be a lounge onboard... What could it be...?

enjoy!


Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31717075)
Tonight, I'm at the Sheraton Downtown Memphis about to go downstairs and enjoy some local delicacy other than BBQ. As jrl767 knows from our lunch in Seattle a couple of years back, that stuff is just waaay too messy for my tastes - unless they gots a dry rub...

enjoy!

jrl767 Nov 8, 19 10:23 pm


Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 31717565)
3A: BHX-AMS NLM CityHopper Fokker F-27
3B: AMS-ATL KLM Boeing 747
3C ATL-BHM Eastern Boeing 757-200

well done
3A: NL correct

Seat 2A Nov 9, 19 7:58 am

1B: BKK correct, AI incorrect, 747 correct forgot to mention that this flight was dual-marketed

Truth be told, my first thought was Hong Kong, but I couldn't see you flying NW HKG-NRT-SEA with NW also serving the SEA-BIL route. After all, variety is the spice of life for us FTers. As to a dual marketed flight, it had to've been some European airline. SAS worked with Thai early on, so let's try an SK/TG codeshare

1C: TG correct, NRT correct

Easy 2nd option after moving on from HKG. I recall the Thai flight continuing on to Dallas for some years before switching to Toronto, 5th freedom flight I would have loved to have flown upon...

jrl767 Nov 9, 19 10:02 am


Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31718553)
1B: BKK correct, AI incorrect, 747 correct forgot to mention that this flight was dual-marketed

Truth be told, my first thought was Hong Kong, but I couldn't see you flying NW HKG-NRT-SEA with NW also serving the SEA-BIL route. After all, variety is the spice of life for us FTers. As to a dual marketed flight, it had to've been some European airline. SAS worked with Thai early on, so let's try an SK/TG codeshare


1B: SK/TG incorrect (both airlines in the codeshare are European carriers)


Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31718553)
1C: TG correct, NRT correct

Easy 2nd option after moving on from HKG. I recall the Thai flight continuing on to Dallas for some years before switching to Toronto, 5th freedom flight I would have loved to have flown upon...

I tried really hard to work SEA <>YYZ in one direction or the other into one of my trips to DC and ITH during that time, but the timing just never worked out

Seat 2A Nov 9, 19 10:04 am

1B: SK/TG incorrect (both airlines in the codeshare are European carriers)

Hmm...

Okay then, let's go with Air France and UTA (Unknown Time of Arrival)

jrl767 Nov 9, 19 12:21 pm


Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31718860)
1B: SK/TG incorrect (both airlines in the codeshare are European carriers)

Hmm...

Okay then, let's go with Air France and UTA (Unknown Time of Arrival)

1C: AF/UT correct

and on to another journey!

Seat 2A Nov 9, 19 11:52 pm

2- You return to Billings the following Sunday afternoon; when you check in with your home office the next morning, you learn that you need to be in Birmingham by noon on Thursday. “No problem; I might be able to make that trip without even getting on a jet!” “Not so fast, pal. Birmingham ENGLAND.” Oh well. Four nonstop flights, each on a different aircraft type; the first two are on the same airline; the fourth shows as being operated under two airline codes, one being the same as the third. And you actually get one non-jet segment.

2A- BIL – XXX
2B- XXX – YYY
2C- YYY – ZZZ
2D- ZZZ – BHX


Well, let's start with what seems simple and seemingly obvious...

2A: Billings to Chicago ~ Northwest ~ 727-200
2B: Chicago to New York JFK ~ Northwest 747-200
From here on, it's anyone's guess. This was before any formal airline alliances. What the hey - let's start with London
2C: New York JFK to Amsterdam ~ KLM ~ DC-10-30
2D: Amsterdam to Birmingham ~ KL/British Midland ~ Fokker F.27

jrl767 Nov 11, 19 4:45 pm


Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31720755)
2A: Billings to Chicago ~ Northwest ~ 727-200
2B: Chicago to New York JFK ~ Northwest 747-200
From here on, it's anyone's guess. This was before any formal airline alliances. What the hey - let's start with London
2C: New York JFK to Amsterdam ~ KLM ~ DC-10-30
2D: Amsterdam to Birmingham ~ KL/British Midland ~ Fokker F.27

very astute guesses here
2A- ORD partially correct; not for this leg, NW incorrect, 72S partially correct; not for this leg... that said, I was surprised to find that NW actually operated such a flight
2B- JFK incorrect, NW incorrect, 747 partially correct; not for this leg, and a technicality on the type ... BIL-ORD-JFK would have required a 27-minute connection
2C- AMS incorrect, KL incorrect, D10 incorrect ... I have to think, given the answers above and below, this will now be a simple tap-in
2D- BD correct, F27 correct

apologies for the delay in my reply, but we spent Sunday immersed in the chaos and excitement of the Seattle Sounders before, during, and after their MLS Cup victory over Toronto

three happy fans!
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7fb6da7e7.jpeg
... I flew SEA-LAX-IAD (DL/AS) later that evening, arriving ~0540EST today :o

YVR Cockroach Nov 11, 19 5:28 pm


Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 31688581)
Airline passenger ship question 3.

And yet another (I should have thought of it given its name) with the caveat that the predecessor shipping companies had long abandoned passenger transportation by the time the airline was founded.

This airline was founded to carry passengers to and from its parent's cruise ships, and as a holiday/leisure charter airline but eventually operated scheduled service. It was the first airline to operate the immediate predecessor to the troubled sub-type of this aircraft (the main airline of its nation was the very first operator of this line of aircraft).

Closing out this question. The airline in question is Hapag Lloyd which was mainly charter but apparently had some scheduled flights too. Hapag Lloyd (the shipping line) was formed by the merger of Hamburg American and NordDeutscher Lloyd. Both had large businesses carrying immigrants to the U.S. It is highly likely the ancestors of many U.S.-based FTers were carried to the U.S. by these two lines.

Seat 2A Nov 11, 19 10:09 pm


Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 31726550)
Closing out this question. The airline in question is Hapag Lloyd which was mainly charter but apparently had some scheduled flights too. Hapag Lloyd (the shipping line) was formed by the merger of Hamburg American and NordDeutscher Lloyd. Both had large businesses carrying immigrants to the U.S. It is highly likely the ancestors of many U.S.-based FTers were carried to the U.S. by these two lines.

Good one, YVR! ^


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:39 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.