Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
time for another go at Bonus Q26: a mid-morning TWA L-1011, PIT-xxx-LAX; we know the intermediate stop isn't STL or PHX ... how about Cincinnati (CVG)?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
time for another go at Bonus Q26: a mid-morning TWA L-1011, PIT-xxx-LAX; we know the intermediate stop isn't STL or PHX ... how about Cincinnati (CVG)?
26) Please guess again!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
3) Two airlines were operating nonstop jet service from Reno to Los Angeles. Each air carrier operated one daily flight from RNO to LAX. Identify both airlines as well as the aircraft they operated on the route.

Let's go with Western and Hughes Airwest. I'll say a 737-200 for WA and a DC-9-30 for RW.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:23 pm

CMH and ABQ would both make sense. But, I'll guess PIT-ORD-LAX.

20) In the spring of 1985, Pacific Western was operating Boeing 737-200 jet service into eight different destinations in Manitoba province. One of these destinations was Winnipeg. Identify the other seven destinations.

Eight airports in Manitoba...

1. Winnipeg YWG
2. Brandon YBR
3. Churchill YYQ
4. Gillham YGX
5. Flin Flon YFO
6. Lynn Lake YYL
7. The Pas YQD
8. Thompson YTH

But, some of those had gravel runways; I'd rather a 727 for them. Still, 1985 was late in the life of the 727, so that means a 737, I guess.

23) In the fall of 1988, Time Air was operating only one nonstop route between Canada and the U.S. with jet equipment. Identify the route and the aircraft type.

F28s on Regina-MSP?

Last edited by Indelaware; Feb 19, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
one more off-the-wall guess at that TWA L-1011 (q26): PIT-SFO-LAX
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Question

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
3) Two airlines were operating nonstop jet service from Reno to Los Angeles. Each air carrier operated one daily flight from RNO to LAX. Identify both airlines as well as the aircraft they operated on the route.

Let's go with Western and Hughes Airwest. I'll say a 737-200 for WA and a DC-9-30 for RW.
Agree with the airlines but I think WA used a B720...
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

2) Western with Boeing 737-200 service is correct! Here's the sched.....

WA 145: Reno (RNO) 2:25p - 3:30p Los Angeles (LAX)
Op: Daily
Equip: 73S

Alas, the other air carrier operating nonstop service from RNO to LAX was not Hughes Airwest......although RW was operating daily one stop DC9-30 service from RNO to ONT via an intermediate stop at LAS at this time.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3- I'll guess United ran RNO-LAX with a 72S
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well if it's not Hughes Airwest... I suppose United would be my next guess. As for equipment, could be just about anything. DC-8s were popular for UA's Reno flights - I did a couple through there myself on standard 8s back in the day - so let's go with that. A DC-8.

I see jrl767 has already beat me to United, so I guess we'll see how we fare in the aircraft choices...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 20, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indelaware
CMH and ABQ would both make sense. But, I'll guess PIT-ORD-LAX.

20) In the spring of 1985, Pacific Western was operating Boeing 737-200 jet service into eight different destinations in Manitoba province. One of these destinations was Winnipeg. Identify the other seven destinations.

Eight airports in Manitoba...

1. Winnipeg YWG
2. Brandon YBR
3. Churchill YYQ
4. Gillham YGX
5. Flin Flon YFO
6. Lynn Lake YYL
7. The Pas YQD
8. Thompson YTH

But, some of those had gravel runways; I'd rather a 727 for them. Still, 1985 was late in the life of the 727, so that means a 737, I guess.

23) In the fall of 1988, Time Air was operating only one nonstop route between Canada and the U.S. with jet equipment. Identify the route and the aircraft type.

F28s on Regina-MSP?
26) Correct! Here's the sched....

TW 25: Pittsburgh (PIT) 10:45a - 11:14a Chicago (ORD) 12:00n - 2:08p Los Angeles (LAX)
Equip: L10

20) Correct....and, of course, you meant Gillam (YGK). All of these destinations had been previously served by Transair flying Boeing 737-200 and/or Fokker F28 Fellowship jet service as well as flights operated in some cases with the NAMC YS-11 turboprop. Transair was acquired by Pacific Western.

Now, as for gravel runways, I don't think this was a big issue for Boeing 737-200 aircraft equipped with gravel kits. One of the features of gravel kit equipped 73S aircraft are vortex dissipators which are small projecting tubes under each engine whose purpose is to blow air down and aft of the engines in order to prevent gravel ingestion. More info here:

www.b737.org.uk/unpavedstripkit.htm

Alaska Airlines, MarkAir and Wien Air Alaska all operated Boeing 737-200 aircraft equipped with such gravel kits as did Pacific Western and Transair. And I think Whitehorse-based Air North still operates a gravel kit equipped 73S.

23) Correct! The Regina-Minneapolis/St. Paul route was initially flown with a Fokker F28 Fellowship by NorcanAir which was then acquired by Time Air.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3- I'll guess United ran RNO-LAX with a 72S
3) United is correct....but the aircraft was not a Boeing 727-200.

Hmmmm, it appears that Seat 2A has responded as well.....
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one more off-the-wall guess at that TWA L-1011 (q26): PIT-SFO-LAX
26) Nope......see above.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24.05.2004
Agree with the airlines but I think WA used a B720...
3) Welcome 24.05.2004! And as you now know, WA operated a 73S on this particular route.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well if it's not Hughes Airwest... I suppose United would be my next guess. As for equipment, could be just about anything. DC-8s were popular for UA's Reno flights - I did a couple through there myself on standard 8s back in the day - so let's go with that. A DC-8.

I see jrl767 has already beat me to United, so I guess we'll see how we fare in the aircraft choices...
3) United with a standard DC-8 is correct! Here's the complete sched which was actually something of a transcontinental milk run....

UA 223: Boston (BOS) 1:20p - 2:55p Chicago (ORD) 3:45p - 6:20p Boise (BOI) 7:00p - 6:58p Reno (RNO) 7:30p - 8:35p Los Angeles (LAX) 9:45p - 10:19p San Diego (SAN)
Equip: DC8
Meal service in F/Y: Lunch BOS-ORD, Dinner ORD-BOI, Snack RNO-LAX

UA 223 was the only flight operated from Boise to Reno at this time. United also operated one flight a day in the other direction with a Boeing 727-100 with a routing LAX-RNO-BOI-ORD-LGA.

I also have fond memories of flying between LAX and RNO several times on board a Boeing 727-200 operated by Delta in first class. The route of flight passes over the Sierra Nevada Mountains and Yosemite National Park. On a clear day, the view is absolutely magnificent, especially if one is an aging backpacker!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

The following five quiz items all have a timeline of early 1976:

4) CP Air was operating three daily nonstop flights between Vancouver and Toronto at this time. Each flight was operated with a different aircraft type. Name all three types. Partially answered - Boeing 747, Boeing 727-100 & _________

6) What was the largest aircraft type being flown nonstop between San Juan (SJU) and Tortola (EIS) in the British Virgin Islands at this time and what airline operated the service.

8) Only one airline was operating jet service into Uranium City, Saskatchewan at this time with two flights a week, Identify the air carrier and the equipment.

9) Two airlines were competing on the Montreal - Val D'Or, Quebec route at this time. One air carrier flew two different but similar aircraft types while the other airline operated three very different aircraft types on the route. Name both air carriers and the respective equipment.

11) You are in Atlanta having dinner with good friends. A message is delivered: can you make an early afternoon meeting in Las Vegas the next day? You discover there is a departure in the morning from ATL at 10:16am that will get you into LAS at 12:43pm which is the earliest arrival time. This flight operates daily and makes one intermediate stop en route. Name the airline, the aircraft and the one stop.

17) Fill in the blanks concerning this air carrier ad: "They went thataway. (With _______ to Australia.) Here's a hint: this ad was promoting the airline's service from Los Angeles. And for bonus points, identify the aircraft type mentioned in this ad with this statement in mind: "Aboard one of our _______ seated in the roomiest Economy seat of any comparable jet."

22) In the winter of 1991, this airline was operating nonstop jet service once a week from Vail, Colorado via Eagle County Airport (EGE) to both Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). And this same air carrier was also flying nonstop five days a week to a third destination. Identify the airline and this third destination.

25) In the fall of 1994, three airlines were operating nonstop jet service from St. Thomas (STT) to St. Croix (STX) in the U.S. Virgin Islands. These airlines operated different aircraft types on the route. One carrier operated daily, the second airline flew six days a week and the third carrier operated twice a week. Identify all three airlines and the respective equipment.
The above quiz items remain up for grabs.......

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 21, 2015 at 1:00 pm Reason: revision of list of unanswered quiz items

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.