Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
And here are the remaining bonus quiz items which shall complete my current set:

36) In early 1985, this airline was operating BAC One-Eleven service into Kalamazoo, MI (AZO) with one flight a day operated with the iconic British twin jet. Identify the air carrier and the route.
36. Air Wisconsin, ZW. ORD-AZO-ORD. They had four on lease from BAC, after ZW gave them up they went to Florida Express.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
32) Empresa Ecuatoriana de Aviacion (EU) is correct! However, we are still looking for the aircraft type EU operated on the route.

Let's go with the Airbus A310 in the rainbow colors
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... in 1985, CP Air was operating one round trip nonstop flight between Vancouver (YVR) and Montreal (YUL) five days a week on a Monday through Friday basis. What type of equipment did CP operate on this flight?
I'm thinking this might have been a 737-200 on a late redeye, departing YVR around 0100 ... more of a positioning flight than one in competition with Air Csnada
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Indelaware
36. Air Wisconsin, ZW. ORD-AZO-ORD. They had four on lease from BAC, after ZW gave them up they went to Florida Express.
36) Correct! Air Wisconsin was operating four weekday round trip nonstops between Chicago O'Hare and Kalamazoo at this time: three with BAe 146-200 aircraft and one with the BAC One-Eleven. Most of the ZW flights on the weekends between ORD and AZO saw DHC-7 Dash 7 turboprops substituted for the jet equipment. Air Wis was also operating nonstop BAC One-Eleven service at this time between O'Hare and Appleton (ATW) and Lincoln (LNK) with the latter flights being in direct competition with United mainline service.

I also wonder if the One-Elevens leased from the British Aircraft Corp. by Air Wisconsin were meant to be "bridge" aircraft and were progressively removed from the fleet as ZW took delivery of new BAe 146s.....

If so, I think this same type of arrangement also occurred at Pacific Express (VB), although this airline went out of business before taking its first BAe 146.....but not before adding a B737-200 to its fleet in addition to the BAC One-Elevens.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
32) Ah, Seat 2A, Ecuatoriana was not operating an A310 at this time between MIA and GYE. So here's a hint: EU was operating a larger aircraft type on the route.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm thinking this might have been a 737-200 on a late redeye, departing YVR around 0100 ... more of a positioning flight than one in competition with Air Csnada
37) CP Air was indeed operating a Boeing 737-200 nonstop between Vancouver (YVR) and Montreal (YUL) at this time which according to the OAG is a one way distance of 2301 miles. And these were not redeye flights. Here are the scheds....

CP 87: YUL 9:30a - 12:10p YVR
Op: Ex. Sat. & Sun.
Equip: 737

CP 88: YVR 1:15p - 9:00p YUL

Air Canada on the other hand was operating two round trip nonstop flights a day between Montreal and Vancouver at this time: one with a Boeing 727-200 which was operated daily and the other with a Boeing 767-200 which was flown daily except on Saturdays and Sundays (and I wonder if the Gimli Glider ever showed up on this route).

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 1, 2015 at 8:01 am
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: BA
37) CP Air was indeed operating a Boeing 737-200 nonstop between Vancouver (YVR) and Montreal (YUL) at this time which according to the OAG is a one way distance of 2301 miles.

CP 87: YUL 9:30a - 12:10p YVR
That was actually quite a distance for a 737-200, 2300 mi and 5hr40min flight time. I doubt anyone in the US was scheduling an original 737 on a complete transcon. I wonder how often they had to put into Calgary for fuel. It's more than Tel Aviv to London, and notably more than Larnaca, Cyprus to London, which "stretching the 737-200" experts Dan-Air always said on their charters on this route were both too far for the aircraft, and only used Comets/727s until the 737-300 came along.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: DL, AA
32) Ah, Seat 2A, Ecuatoriana was not operating an A310 at this time between MIA and GYE. So here's a hint: EU was operating a larger aircraft type on the route.
Then it had to been the DC-10. When in 1993 did EU quit flying?
How about a 310 for Saeta? If it isn't then it has to be a 727.

Last edited by Icecat; Mar 1, 2015 at 10:55 am
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat
Then it had to been the DC-10. When in 1993 did EU quit flying?
How about a 310 for Saeta? If it isn't then it has to be a 727.
32) Correct! Ecuatoriana was operating a DC-10-30 on the route. I'm unsure just when EU quit flying the first time. The airline apparently restarted service in 1996 and I think VASP may have had a controlling interest at this time. It appears by 2006 they were gone for good.

And Saeta was indeed operating an A310 on the MIA-GYE route.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: DL, AA
11) You are in Atlanta having dinner with good friends. A message is delivered: can you make an early afternoon meeting in Las Vegas the next day? You discover there is a departure in the morning from ATL at 10:16am that will get you into LAS at 12:43pm which is the earliest arrival time. This flight operates daily and makes one intermediate stop en route. Name the airline, the aircraft and the one stop.
Sounds and smells like Delta. How about the L-1011 and stops in Dallas.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
That was actually quite a distance for a 737-200, 2300 mi and 5hr40min flight time. I doubt anyone in the US was scheduling an original 737 on a complete transcon. I wonder how often they had to put into Calgary for fuel. It's more than Tel Aviv to London, and notably more than Larnaca, Cyprus to London, which "stretching the 737-200" experts Dan-Air always said on their charters on this route were both too far for the aircraft, and only used Comets/727s until the 737-300 came along.
My thought as well, especially during the winter months heading westbound when headwinds tended to be a factor.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat
11) You are in Atlanta having dinner with good friends. A message is delivered: can you make an early afternoon meeting in Las Vegas the next day? You discover there is a departure in the morning from ATL at 10:16am that will get you into LAS at 12:43pm which is the earliest arrival time. This flight operates daily and makes one intermediate stop en route. Name the airline, the aircraft and the one stop.
Sounds and smells like Delta. How about the L-1011 and stops in Dallas.
11) Yep, it's Delta and this flight did stop at DFW.....however, the aircraft was not an L-1011.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And Good Sunday Afternoon, All!

I know that Seat 2A has a new batch of quiz items ready to go and will also be embarking in the near future on a very long trip during which he may not be able to provide answers.

So with this in mind, it's now last call for the remaining quiz items in my latest set of 1) through 35) with answers to be provided this evening. I'll also let quiz items 38) through 40) sit out there awhile longer as I just submitted them yesterday.

Meantime, warming up here with a chance of thunderstorms today as a semblance of spring returns to south Louisiana during the next several days followed by yet another arctic cold front later this week with overnight lows forecast to fall into the upper 20s F.....
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Seat 2A will have plenty of time to address a good sized batch of questions as he's not leaving until late March. He's also not used to referring to himself in the 3rd person but is having fun with it for the moment at least.

Upcoming travels will include premium class accommodations aboard one of the newest airliners to be delivered to South America as well as a trans-Atlantic segment aboard an aging Airbus A340. How many of those are making trans-Atlantic crossings these days? A 16 hour segment in First Class aboard Emirates' A380 will also be included. I'll have plenty of time to visit the lounge and enjoy the novelty of an inflight shower. Heck, I might even write a trip report...

A question now for our esteemed quiz leader: JL, is there any chance that the CP Air 737-200 entry for YUL-YVR in the OAG might have been a typo? They're rare, I know, but not unheard of. Frankly, the chance of an OAG typo seems more likely than the use of a 737-200 on such a long route.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 1, 2015 at 3:44 pm
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
11- Delta, ATL-DFW-LAS: since not a TriStar, more likely a D8S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.