Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2023, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
and away we go! 1999 Great Circle odyssey, Chapter 3

(3)- This final trip is a bit more involved in that the “Great Circle” condition for getting to each of the first two destinations involves three flights. You’ll be using the two remaining smaller airports, starting at one and finishing up at the other. One of the destinations on this itinerary was a connection point on your second trip.

The first day repeats two airline / aircraft instances from the second trip; the other airline is a repeat from the first trip, but it’s a new aircraft type. You’ll be seeing each connection point for the second time.

The second day’s journey begins with an airline from the second trip operating an equipment type from the first; both the other segments are on a first-time airline, with one new type and one repeat.

On the third day, you have another example of the type from the first trip; however, it’s on another first-time airline. The second flight also repeats an airline from the first trip (as well as earlier on this one), but on yet a different jet. This itinerary has a bit of a backtrack, as the destination lies very close to the Great Circle track between the origin and the connecting point.

Each of the last two days’ travel involves an online connection between a mainline carrier and a regional affiliate; one of the airlines is a repeat from the second trip, but you’re seeing the other — along with three of the four aircraft types — for the first time. On the last day you’ll also overfly your terminating point en route to transiting the connecting airport for the third time.

(3A)- Airport 5 to Fallon National Wildlife Refuge
(3B)- Fallon NWR to National Autonomous University of Mexico
(3C)- NAUM to Homosassa Wildlife Management Area
(3D)- HWMA to Rappahannock River Valley NWR
(3E)- RRVNWR to Airport 6

Please enumerate the usual information about each flight in the five-day sequence.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 8:32 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by Herb687
With the 2A equipment being US-built, I will guess BE1 for that flight and hope we can close out this great circle adventure.
That would have been my next guess. Actually, "pencil with wings" to my mind suggests the Beechcraft 99, but I don't think (m)any were in passenger service by 1999. There's one on the ground at my local airport tonight, operated by Freight Runners Express. We used to see them a lot from Wiggins, but lately they've been running Cessna Skyvans, tonight two of them a few minutes apart.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Excited to set off on yet another Great Circle Adventure!
Originally Posted by jrl767
(3)- This final trip is a bit more involved in that the “Great Circle” condition for getting to each of the first two destinations involves three flights. You’ll be using the two remaining smaller airports, starting at one and finishing up at the other. One of the destinations on this itinerary was a connection point on your second trip.

The first day repeats two airline / aircraft instances from the second trip; the other airline is a repeat from the first trip, but it’s a new aircraft type. You’ll be seeing each connection point for the second time.

The second day’s journey begins with an airline from the second trip operating an equipment type from the first; both the other segments are on a first-time airline, with one new type and one repeat.

On the third day, you have another example of the type from the first trip; however, it’s on another first-time airline. The second flight also repeats an airline from the first trip (as well as earlier on this one), but on yet a different jet. This itinerary has a bit of a backtrack, as the destination lies very close to the Great Circle track between the origin and the connecting point.
I will start the action by working on the middle day of the trip.

Looking at the final Great Circle Adventure I, it appears that the complete list of airlines used in GCA1 was CO, DL, NW, US. And equipment types 100, 734, 735, M80, M90, EM2, 72S, D10.

(3C)- NAUM to Homosassa Wildlife Management Area
So, the constraint for 3C is that Segment 1 is an airline not flown in GCA1, Segment 2 is an airline from GCA1
Segment 1 is equipment from GCA1, Segment 2 is jet equipment not flown in GCA1.

Let's try
MEX-MCO AM M80
MCO-TPA CO 733
Old Dec 8, 2023, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Herb687
Excited to set off on yet another Great Circle Adventure!
I will start the action by working on the middle day of the trip

Let's try
MEX-MCO AM M80
MCO-TPA CO 733
3C-

impeccable logic, not quite there on the conclusions
  • MEX is CORRECT
  • MCO is CORRECT
  • AM is CORRECT
  • M80 is CORRECT
  • TPA is CORRECT
  • CO is INCORRECT
  • 733 is INCORRECT
Old Dec 8, 2023, 7:06 am

3a
tol-ord: Aa, atr
ord-slc: Ua, 733
slc-rno: Dl, m80

I have no idea why I can't shift for myself on FT lately. No problem on any other site.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kochleffel
3a
tol-ord: Aa, atr
ord-slc: Ua, 733
slc-rno: Dl, m80
3A- good start
  • TOL is CORRECT
  • ORD is CORRECT
  • AA is CORRECT
  • ATR is CORRECT
  • SLC is CORRECT
  • UA is INCORRECT
  • 733 is INCORRECT
  • RNO is CORRECT
  • DL is INCORRECT
  • M80 is INCORRECT
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:39 pm

3a- good start
  • tol is correct
  • ord is correct
  • aa is correct
  • atr is correct
  • slc is correct
  • ua is incorrect
  • 733 is incorrect
  • rno is correct
  • dl is incorrect
  • m80 is incorrect
ord-slc: Dl, 752
slc-rno: Wn, 735
Old Dec 9, 2023, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3A- think bigger, for both
Old Dec 9, 2023, 7:49 am

3A- think bigger, for both
ord-slc: Dl, 762
slc-rno: Wn, 73G
Old Dec 9, 2023, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3A-
767 is CORRECT
73G is INCORRECT — but by default we have the 733, as the only other type in the Southwest fleet that’s bigger than the 735
Old Dec 9, 2023, 10:31 am

3e
ric-ord: Ua, 319
ord-fwa: Ua, atp
Old Dec 9, 2023, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3E-
  • RIC is INCORRECT
  • ORD is CORRECT
  • FWA is CORRECT
  • UA is CORRECT
  • 319 is CORRECT
  • ATP is CORRECT
Old Dec 9, 2023, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
3C-

impeccable logic, not quite there on the conclusions
  • MEX is CORRECT
  • MCO is CORRECT
  • AM is CORRECT
  • M80 is CORRECT
  • TPA is CORRECT
  • CO is INCORRECT
  • 733 is INCORRECT
3C: TPA was once a pretty big station for NW so maybe a Northwest D95 on the MCO-TPA flight.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3C-
that’s a very reasonable guess, but both NW and the DC-9-50 are INCORRECT
Old Dec 10, 2023, 5:58 am

3E-
  • RIC is INCORRECT
ORF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.