Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
22. (1988) Eugene, Oregon is served by three airlines offering jet service. One airline operates two types of jets into EUG, the other two just one each. Identify each airline and the aircraft type(s) each operates into Eugene.
United 727-200 and 737-200 identified so far... along with US Air 146 and American _______________

Boeing 727-200

24. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was Northwest Orient’s longest nonstop domestic flight? What kind of aircraft did it employ?
It wasn't ORD-ANC with a 707

HNL-ORD, Boeing 747-100

Last edited by Toshbaf; Jul 28, 2020 at 8:27 pm
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Herb687
3. (1995) Whoa! You don’t see this every day! What’s got four engines and flies in once weekly (with passengers) to Santo Domingo from Curacao?

Smaller and older, eh? Well I don't know what airline it would be but I will guess a de Havilland Heron this time.

There are so many different possibilities out there - Let me help you out a bit here, Herb - we're looking for a jet transport!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 29, 2020 at 12:27 am
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:26 am

Programs: BA
I'm just off for a several hour drive to the north of Birmingham for a business day; are we starting to get back to normal here ?

3. (1995) Whoa! You don’t see this every day! What’s got four engines and flies in once weekly (with passengers) to Santo Domingo from Curacao?
In 1995 ? I'm going to go for one of the last ever Lockheed Constellation operators, running out of the Dominican Republic. There were a series of obscure operators from there, who also did freight to (and more precisely, from) Miami on occasion.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
22. (1988) Eugene, Oregon is served by three airlines offering jet service. One airline operates two types of jets into EUG, the other two just one each. Identify each airline and the aircraft type(s) each operates into Eugene.
United 727-200 and 737-200 identified so far... along with US Air 146 and American _______________

Boeing 727-200 Correct!

24. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was Northwest Orient’s longest nonstop domestic flight? What kind of aircraft did it employ?
It wasn't ORD-ANC with a 707

HNL-ORD, Boeing 747-100

Not a lot of options beyond ORD-ANC are there? And of course, you are correct! Here's the schedule:

Northwest NW 17 Chicago (ORD) 1100a-400p Honolulu (HNL) 747-100 Sa only
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Aircraft types must be specific including variant, i.e. 727 NO, 727-200 YES Thanks!

1. (1990) The last time you flew from Phoenix down to Mazatlan, it was aboard a multi-stop Aeronaves de Mexico DC-9. These days that airline is called AeroMexico and it no longer serves Phoenix. On a positive note, a different airline is now offering thrice weekly nonstop service down to MZT. Que Bueno! You call and book a couple of seats for the Saturday departure. What airline and aircraft will you be flying upon?

A N S W E R E D

4. (1970) Your University of Syracuse Orangemen are playing the University of Miami Hurricanes this weekend. You love a good football game almost as much as you love the sunshine, beaches and bronze skinned girls down in South Florida. A call to your travel agent reveals a single nonstop flight operating between Syracuse and Miami each day. Book it, please. Name the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

5. (1990) Imagine yourself flying into Las Vegas while seated in First Class aboard a four engine jet. There are only two aircraft that fit the bill- each of them operated by different airlines. Please identify each aircraft type and the airline that operates it.
HP 747 has been identified. One more...

9. (1985) You’ve found a great opportunity to fly from Seattle to Las Vegas aboard a pair of baby DC-9s – the -14 models – each of which is operated by a different airline. You’ll have an hour and fifteen minutes at the connection point, well within minimum guidelines. Identify each airline as well as the connection point.
Sunworld is one of the airlines. Horizon and Republic and Continental are not

10. (1990) You’re in Jacksonville, FL and need to get up to Montreal, Quebec to catch your seven day cruise up the St. Laurence Seaway and out around the Maritimes. On the downside, ypu’ll probably have to connect at one of those big crowded airports in the New York City area. But NO! As luck would have it there’s a single one-stop direct flight departing JAX each afternoon, arriving at Montreal Dorval in the early evening. Perfect! Book it! Forward cabin, of course. Airline, enroute stop and aircraft type please.

12. (2003) What a night! That little white ball was practically on fire as you burned up the roulette tables at Mandalay Bay to the tune of over $38000.00! So what the heck – why not fly back home to Burbank in First Class? As things turned out, there’s just one flight a day that even offers First Class between Las Vegas and Burbank and you’ve called just in time to purchase the last available seat. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

14. (1990) You may live in Texas, but as a diehard Saint’s fan your heart’s in New Orleans, especially during football season. Coach Jim Mora (Playoffs! Playoffs?!!) and the Saints are looking to build on last season’s 9-7 finish starting with a home game against Joe Montana and the Superbowl champion San Francisco 49ers on Monday Night Football. Surprisingly, there’s only one nonstop flight per day between Austin and New Orleans, but the timing couldn’t be better given the game’s late start. Identify the airline and aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.
A N S W E R E D

15. (1988) Those were the days when National Airlines used to offer wonderful Sun King Service aboard its stylish DC-8 fanjets between Tampa and Los Angeles. Alas, National is long gone and these days the TPA-LAX market is served by just a single almost daily nonstop. Identify the airline and the aircraft it operates on this route.

16. (1970) Fresh off delivery of a catamaran from St. Thomas to Ocho Rios, you now need to fly back to Miami. From the closest major airport, you see there are two airlines offering nonstop flights to Miami. Identify the airport, the two airlines and the aircraft type each operates up to Miami.

17. (1985) Per schedules available in the 1985 North American OAG I used to reference these questions, only two airlines still offered service to Toronto’s Lester Pearson International Airport with McDonnell-Douglas DC-8s – one with a standard DC-8 and the other with a stretch DC-8. Identify each airline, the DC-8 variant it served YYZ with and where each flight came into Toronto from.

18. (1989) Per schedulesin the 1989 North American OAG I used to reference this question, Honolulu is well served by DC-10s and L-1011s. Each aircraft type is operated by five different airlines. Identify the five airlines operating each aircraft type.
See Post 19818

19. (1990) (The jrl767 Special) You’ve had a great week sailing around the eastern Caribbean. Disembarking from your catamaran in Antigua, your next stop will be Bermuda where you’ll spend a couple of days in Hamilton before continuing on to New York. Your trip from Antigua to Bermuda will involve two flights. From Antigua you will fly nonstop to your connecting point where you’ll spend two nights before boarding your next flight nonstop to Bermuda. Additionally, your final flight from Bermuda to New York will also be nonstop. Three different airlines will be involved but each airline will be operating the same type of equipment on each flight. So there you have it. Identify all three airlines, the connecting point between ANU and BDA and the equipment type common to all three flights.
It wasn't an L-1011 or 727-200. The entire routing takes place in the Caribbean

21. (1970) Back when you used to live in Georgia, you had some bad experiences with Delta Air Lines that linger in your memory to this day. As such, now that you’ve moved to Dallas and are looking to fly to Las Vegas, the last airline you want to fly on is Delta, which unfortunately pretty much dominates the market. Thankfully for you, there’s just one alternative that doesn’t involve a connection. This airline offers a direct one stop flight each day between Dallas and Las Vegas. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type flown.
A N S W E R E D

25. (1989) Problems at the office this morning require your immediate and personal attention, meaning you’re going to miss your 10:45a flight out of Lansing to New York. Even at 10:45am, it’s the last direct flight of the day to New York. Thankfully Grand Rapids is just 70 miles away and from there New York is served via Newark by just one airline offering two daily nonstops. There’s plenty of space available aboard the afternoon departure, so you happily book a seat. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard.
A N S W E R E D

26. (1979) Now you’re in Denver and you need to get to Baltimore. You’ve got a sheaf of paperwork to go over before you get to Baltimore, so the three stop flight you’ve booked will allow you to get plenty of work done. Identify the airline, the three stops in order and the aircraft type.

27. (1990) Vermont sure is pretty in the fall, so when you’re informed that you’ll have to head out of town on business next Monday you’re not too happy about it. On a positive note, your destination is beautiful Savannah, GA and to make matters even better, there’s a single daily one-stop direct flight departing Burlington each evening. Book it, Danno! Identify the usual triumvirate – airline, enroute stop and equipment please.

28 . (1979) From Baltimore you’re off to Mexico again – this time Cancun. You anticipate at least one or more connections and are pleasantly surprised to learn that there’s a single daily one stop direct flight between Baltimore and Cancun. Name the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.
A N S W E R E D

30. (1990) As a lifelong resident of south Florida, you’ve often had occasion to visit Mexico’s Caribbean coast via Merida and Cancun. This time however, you’re headed for the other side of Mexico, to Guadalajara in the western state of Jalisco. And this won’t be a vacation trip either. No – you’re looking to invest in a new boutique tequila operation being fronted by your friend Guillermo Paz, a well-known star of Mexican stage and cinema. Guillermo knows his agave and you’re looking forward to learning more about the operation. Although you were expecting to make at least one connection, you’re surprised to discover a single daily one stop direct flight. Ay yi yi! Vamanos!! Identificar la aerolínea, la parada en ruta y el tipo de avión.

31. (1990) You’ve traveled overland from Guadalajara to Mexico City aboard El Tapatio, quite probably the finest streamliner in all of Mexico. Most amazingly, your First Class roomette cost you just $23 USD (Your quiz-meister rode this very same train in 1990) From Mexico City you need to head up north to Seattle, WA. Two airlines offer direct flights, but only one offers a First Class cabin. That’s the one you want. The flight makes one stop en route and you’ll be served breakfast and lunch along the way. Identify the airline, enroute stop and aircraft type.

33 . (2003) You had a helluva time getting from New York down to Los Cabos, what with a broken down airplane and a missed connection, but your travel travails were well worth it given the wonderful week of sun and fun that you’ve enjoyed. And, as if things couldn’t get any better, you’ve been upgraded to First Class on your two-stop direct flight back to JFK. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll return home on as well as the two enroute stops.

36. (1990) As the project manager overseeing the construction of a new shopping center on Aruba, you travel every two weeks between your home in Coral Gables and the island nation. It used to be only one or two airlines offered flights between Aruba and Miami but these days five airlines offer nonstop flights. And get this! Although two airlines operate the same type of jet, the other three each operate jets different from one another. We’re talking two, three and four engine transports here. Your challenge – should you decide to accept it – is to identify each airline on the AUA-MIA route and identify the aircraft type it operates. Ready? Go!

37. (1998) You’re seated aboard the only flight between New York and Las Vegas that markets a Business Class or “C” class seat. Well what the heck – it’s cheaper than everyone else’s First Class so you’ve decided to splurge! Identify the airline and aircraft you’re flying aboard.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 30, 2020 at 2:51 pm
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
19. (1990) (The jrl767 Special) You’ve had a great week sailing around the eastern Caribbean. Disembarking from your catamaran in Antigua, your next stop will be Bermuda where you’ll spend a couple of days in Hamilton before continuing on to New York. Your trip from Antigua to Bermuda will involve two flights. From Antigua you will fly nonstop to your connecting point where you’ll spend two nights before boarding your next flight nonstop to Bermuda. Additionally, your final flight from Bermuda to New York will also be nonstop. Three different airlines will be involved but each airline will be operating the same type of equipment on each flight. So there you have it. Identify all three airlines, the connecting point between ANU and BDA and the equipment type common to all three flights.
19- may as well take a run at my namesake question

ANU-XXX-BDA isn’t really a “connection” due to the two-night layover ... this suggests less-than-daily service out of ANU and into BDA, which in turn suggests a less-than-direct routing

how about ANU-London Heathrow (LHR) on BWIA, LHR-BDA on British, and BDA-JFK on Eastern ... the common aircraft, of course, being a Lockheed L-1011 TriStar

Mrs767 and I are on a day trip to the Olympic Peninsula, so I won’t be getting back to the Quiz until rather late this evening (or, more likely) tomorrow
Old Jul 29, 2020, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
I'm just off for a several hour drive to the north of Birmingham for a business day; are we starting to get back to normal here ?

Let's hope so! Unfortunately, as you no doubt know from the news, here in the U.S. things are only getting worse. Be it the government response or the behavior of individual citizens, we're looking pretty bad. That said, if you'd have asked me a year ago what life in a full blown world-wide pandemic would be like, I'd have envisioned it as being much worse. All the normal trappings of life are open and available and although I haven't been inside a restaurant or bar since February, life is otherwise pretty good and easy up here in Alaska's Interior.

In 1995 ? I'm going to go for one of the last ever Lockheed Constellation operators, running out of the Dominican Republic. There were a series of obscure operators from there, who also did freight to (and more precisely, from) Miami on occasion.

If I didn't know better, I'd have picked the Connie as well - I believe the Dominican Republic's Quisqueyana was a late Constellation operator, though I don't think they were around by 1995. In any event, we're looking for a jet here, and the operator was fairly obscure. It also had a DC-10 in its fleet. The flight continued on to Europe.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

May as well take a run at my namesake question ANU-XXX-BDA isn’t really a “connection” due to the two-night layover ... this suggests less-than-daily service out of ANU and into BDA, which in turn suggests a less-than-direct routing. How about ANU-London Heathrow (LHR) on BWIA, LHR-BDA on British, and BDA-JFK on Eastern ... the common aircraft, of course, being a Lockheed L-1011 TriStar

Way to get the ball rolling here, J - That said, I would never present a question with such a bizarre routing - No, I use only feasible routings that would easily fall within the Maximum Permitted Mileage requirements (Nonstop mileage + 25%) so this routing stays entirely within the Caribbean. That said, we're looking for an aircraft other than the L-1011 here although you have correctly identified one of the airlines.

Have fun on the OP! It's probably a good time to get out of Seattle and cool off! I heard it was 94 degrees yesterday
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I've had a look, Bahamas Airways seems to have gone out of business on 9 October 1970, and the One-Elevens, all leased from UK airlines, were repossessed. Probably didn't make the November issue; is yours December ?

For us simple geographical souls who think that North American is the antonym of South American, it is just one of those things that OAG draws the line between Mexico and Guatemala. The ABC was more straightforward, the equivalent two big volumes were A-L and M-Z.

According to my Informed Sources the first LIAT One-Eleven didn't arrive until the end of the following year; ironically their longserving two were the same two principal ones from Bahamas Airways, which had been back with owner Court Line at London Luton in the meantime, I wonder what their "jet" was, possibly a shared BWIA 727.
MEXICO BERMUDA & THE CARIBBEAN
Thank you for the excellent link! It was my understanding that Challenge International operated a BAC One-Eleven at one point....but I've never found any scheduled routes flown with the One-Eleven by this rather obscure air carrier which was operating scheduled passenger flights with B737-200 equipment in 1987.....

Challenge International Airlines Summer 1987 Route Map

I also think Challenge International may have been operating a B727-100 on behalf of Air Panama back in the mid 1980's.

But what about their BAC One-Eleven?

https://airlinersgallery.smugmug.com...al/i-gpZQnCN/A

Well, I now see they were operating scheduled passenger service with a One-Eleven on behalf of Grenada Airways at one point according to your excellent reference information.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 29, 2020 at 12:37 pm Reason: fixed the photo link
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am

If I didn't know better, I'd have picked the Connie as well - I believe the Dominican Republic's Quisqueyana was a late Constellation operator, though I don't think they were around by 1995. In any event, we're looking for a jet here, and the operator was fairly obscure. It also had a DC-10 in its fleet. The flight continued on to Europe.
Absent the older and smaller than a 747 clue my next guess would have been Martinair after the KL 74M was ruled out but I can't see Martinair flying 707s or DC-8s in 1995. And the A340 is newer than the 747. So, let me try VIASA operating a DC-8-62 instead. Pretty sure I've seen pictures of VIASA DC-10s.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

14. (1990) You may live in Texas, but as a diehard Saint’s fan your heart’s in New Orleans, especially during football season. Coach Jim Mora (Playoffs! Playoffs?!!) and the Saints are looking to build on last season’s 9-7 finish starting with a home game against Joe Montana and the Superbowl champion San Francisco 49ers on Monday Night Football. Surprisingly, there’s only one nonstop flight per day between Austin and New Orleans, but the timing couldn’t be better given the game’s late start. Identify the airline and aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

21. (1970) Back when you used to live in Georgia, you had some bad experiences with Delta Air Lines that linger in your memory to this day. As such, now that you’ve moved to Dallas and are looking to fly to Las Vegas, the last airline you want to fly on is Delta, which unfortunately pretty much dominates the market. Thankfully for you, there’s just one alternative that doesn’t involve a connection. This airline offers a direct one stop flight each day between Dallas and Las Vegas. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type flown.
Time for a couple of hopefully not so wild guesses....

14. I first wanted to say this was Eastern as I seem to recall that EA offered nonstop service from both San Antonio and Corpus Christi to New Orleans. However, as the time line is 1990, I think this was actually Pan Am operating a B727-200 with the service continuing on to New York JFK from New Orleans.

21. Back in 1970, I believe the CAB awarded nonstop route authority to the original Frontier between Dallas and Albuquerque as well as between Las Vegas and Albuquerque. So let's go with Frontier operating a B737-200 from Dallas to Las Vegas via a stop at Albuquerque.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687

Absent the older and smaller than a 747 clue my next guess would have been Martinair after the KL 74M was ruled out but I can't see Martinair flying 707s or DC-8s in 1995. And the A340 is newer than the 747. So, let me try VIASA operating a DC-8-62 instead. Pretty sure I've seen pictures of VIASA DC-10s.

Not a bad guess, Herb - especially with VIASA occasionally routing through nearby Curacao. However, I don't believe VIASA ever operated the -62 variant of the DC-8, but little matter as the airline we're looking for is of Dominican origin and the aircraft of record was not manufactured in Long Beach, CA. The flight continued on to Luxembourg and the aircraft probably was leased and did not wear the airline's livery like its DC-10 did. Let me give you a further hint because this one is pretty obscure. The airline's name begins with a T that is part of a single word that is not "Transportes"
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

I first wanted to say this was Eastern as I seem to recall that EA offered nonstop service from both San Antonio and Corpus Christi to New Orleans. However, as the time line is 1990, I think this was actually Pan Am operating a B727-200 with the service continuing on to New York JFK from New Orleans.

Yep, Pan Am it was. Unfortunately the Saints lost that opening game to the 49ers so you might have ridden the gray dog home...

Pan Am PA 476 Austin (AUS) 930a-1048a New Orleans (MSY) 727-200 Daily

Greyhound 1265 Dpt. New Orleans 530p Arr. Austin 600a Scenicruiser (Transfer in Houston)

Back in 1970, I believe the CAB awarded nonstop route authority to the original Frontier between Dallas and Albuquerque as well as between Las Vegas and Albuquerque. So let's go with Frontier operating a B737-200 from Dallas to Las Vegas via a stop at Albuquerque.

That's the ticket! Here's the schedule:

Frontier FL 41 Dallas (DAL) 1015a-1049a Albuquerque (ABQ) 1110a-1128a L Las Vegas (LAS) 737-200 Daily

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 29, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Old Jul 29, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah yes, the Aints....er....Saints did indeed lose that opening game.

However, I would have been found on board Amtrak operating Southern Pacific's old "Sunset Limited" route from New Orleans to San Antone and then hitchhiked up Interstate 35 back to Austin....
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
Mrs767 and I are on a day trip to the Olympic Peninsula, so I won’t be getting back to the Quiz until rather late this evening (or, more likely) tomorrow
Wave over the water when you get to Port Angeles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.