Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
37. (1975) Per schedules available in an early 1975 North American OAG, identify the easternmost, southernmost, westernmost and northernmost points in the North American region served by the Lockheed L-188 Electra. Additionally, Identify the airline that operates each flight.

This is a tough one --
East: Electras weren't very common in the Caribbean, but I think they were occasional visitors to the Bahamas ... Nassau seems the most logical destination; however, it's south of Miami, and I just sorta doubt that Seat 2A would pose that kind of trick question ... so I'll guess Freeport (FPO), Air Florida
South: Miami (MIA), also QH
West: Shemya (SYA), Reeve Aleutian
North: Yellowknife (YZF), Pacific Western

Way to wade on in and tackle the tough ones, J! You've correctly identified two airlines and one region but alas, no correct airports. The correct region for both east and south is the Caribbean but we're looking for a different airline operating to a different destination. This same destination is not only the easternmost but also the southernmost point for L-188 services per my N.A. OAG. As to west, you've got the right airline but the wrong destination. The same holds true with Pacific Western and the northernmost airport. We need a different airport.

But again, thanks for getting this one started. Now go finish it off!
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
37- limiting my research to the "Search this Thread" dropdown, I found references to an obscure operator known as Flamingo Airlines operating an Electra between NAS and Port-au-Prince (PAP), Haiti ... however, per Seat 2A's reply to WHBM in Aug 2014, FQ ceased operations in early 1974, so we may have a conundrum here

I'll posit Adak (ADK) for RV's Bering Sea destination; I'm at a total loss for anywhere else PW may have operated in the Northwest Territories, but Inuvik is a reasonable guess as it's almost on the Arctic Ocean
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
37-
I'll posit Adak (ADK) for RV's Bering Sea destination; I'm at a total loss for anywhere else PW may have operated in the Northwest Territories, but Inuvik is a reasonable guess as it's almost on the Arctic Ocean
If it was PW for the north, wild guess of Tuktoyaktuk (YUB).
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Herb687
UA would likely have wanted to minimize the number of different types at a spoke city. Thus, I will guess that ORD and the 4th LAX frequency were also 757s.
LAX, yes, ORD, no. Here are the complete scheds for the four flights from LAX.....

UA 1003: Portland (PDX) 7:30a - 9:44a Los Angeles (LAX) 10:40a - 4:14p Mexico City (MEX)
Freq: Daily except Sat. & Sun.
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Breakfast PDX-LAX, Lunch LAX-MEX
Equip: 733

UA 1005: Los Angeles (LAX) 3:00p - 8:34p Mexico City (MEX)
Freq: Daily
Meal service: Dinner

UA 1007: Portland (PDX) 2:40p - 4:54p Los Angeles (LAX) 5:40p - 11:09p Mexico City (MEX)
Freq: PDX-LAX daily except Sat., LAX-MEX daily
Meal services: Snack in F only PDX-LAX, Dinner LAX-MEX

UA 1009: Los Angeles (LAX) 11:50p - 5:12a Mexico City (MEX)
Meal service: Snack
Equip: 757

And the flights from ORD.....

UA 1017: Harrisburg (MDT) 7:50a - 8:48a Chicago (ORD) 9:35a - 1:58p Mexico City (MEX)
Meal services: Snack MDT-ORD, Lunch ORD-MEX

UA 1019: Chicago (ORD) 7:15p - 11:40p Mexico City (MEX)
Meal service: Dinner

Thus, from the U.S. (IAD, LAX, MIA, ORD and SFO) to Mexico City we have seven nonstops a day operated with the B737-300 and two nonstops a day operated with the B757-200 by United in early 1995.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
37. (1975) Per schedules available in an early 1975 North American OAG, identify the easternmost, southernmost, westernmost and northernmost points in the North American region served by the Lockheed L-188 Electra. Additionally, Identify the airline that operates each flight.
Here's my guess for northernmost destination served with an Electra in 1975:

Inuvik (YEV) with the operator being International Jetair.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

On this note I was watching something about a civilianised AVRo Lancaster that crashed in the Andes. It was flying between BUE and SCL IIRC. Flight crew apparently timed descent, unaware of strong jetstream headwinds, and did a CFIT in the Andes w/o a trace, until bodies and/or wreckage were revealed by a melting glacier decades later.

Maybe the U.S. had more experience with jet streams due to the B-29's cruising altitude.
I'm afraid you wouldn't meet much of the jetstream in an unpressurised Lancastrian at 15,000 feet. The flights across the Andes there were actually between the mountaintop peaks, which rose higher than the aircraft altitude each side. You did nevertheless get substantial winds all around the mountains.

That BSAA (British South American Airways) flight is often known as the "Stendec flight". No radio, transmissions were by Morse code. Having sent straightforward messages to Santiago about arrival, the aircraft sent "Stendec". Santiago asked to repeat, it was sent again. That was the last ever heard from the aircraft. All sorts of conspiracy theories about it.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
37- limiting my research to the "Search this Thread" dropdown, I found references to an obscure operator known as Flamingo Airlines operating an Electra between NAS and Port-au-Prince (PAP), Haiti ... however, per Seat 2A's reply to WHBM in Aug 2014, FQ ceased operations in early 1974, so we may have a conundrum here

Conundrum indeed. I've been searching the internet trying to find where it was I referenced Flamingo operating through 1974. Timetable images only goes through 1973. As does this site Meanwhile, I've got a 1975 OAG which I recently acquired clearly indicating Flamingo still offering flights between Nassau, Inagua and Port-au-Prince.

So, let's call you CORRECT! with Flamingo for both the easternmost (Port-au-Prince 72.3074° W) and southernmost (Port-au-Prince 18.5944° N)

As for Reeve, we've got to go a bit further west than Shemya (not too many options there) and you may want to check your Canadian map for waay far north destinations, even farther than Inuvik. PWA is the airline of choice however.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 13, 2020 at 11:50 pm
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
If it was PW for the north, wild guess of Tuktoyaktuk (YUB).
Per the 1975 schedules I have, the only things flying into YUB were a couple of Twin Otters out of Inuvik.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
Here's my guess for northernmost destination served with an Electra in 1975:

Inuvik (YEV) with the operator being International Jetair.
I remember Internatiional Jetair's Electra flights coming up in a question here a few years ago. However, a check of the 1975 schedules into Inuvik shows only PWA and Northward Airlines (DTO flights). Noteworthy is that PWA shows as operating a 72S into Inuvik which is interesting as I've not been able to find any evidence they operated the -200. Perhaps they leased one for a short spell. Most of the standard fleet roster sites show only the 737 and 767.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... As for Reeve, we've got to go a bit further west than Shemya (not too many options there) ...
37-
west = Attu (based solely on looking at a map)

north = I’ll offer a wild guess of Resolute Bay (YRB), even though I only recall Nordair (with a Constellation ~1967) and First Air operating there

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 14, 2020 at 12:49 pm
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:01 am

Noteworthy is that PWA shows as operating a 72S into Inuvik which is interesting as I've not been able to find any evidence they operated the -200. Perhaps they leased one for a short spell. Most of the standard fleet roster sites show only the 737 and 767.
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Paci...7-171C/2246966
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:09 am

Conundrum indeed. I've been searching the internet trying to find where it was I referenced Flamingo operating through 1974. Timetable images only goes through 1973. As does this site Meanwhile, I've got a 1975 OAG which I recently acquired clearly indicating Flamingo still offering flights between Nassau, Inagua and Port-au-Prince.
According to my records, Flamingo only had one Electra, firstly N31231 (shown in the link) from June to November 1972, then no Electra for a year, and then N172PS (guess where it originated from ...), taken on in November 1973, lasted 6 months, they stopped trading in May 1974. It then had no operator until February 1975 when Guyana Airways took it on for just 3 months, still US-registered, Nothing again until the end of 1976.

Now the old Miami lease fleet was very flexible, for who they operated for, who flew them, what livery they carried, indeed whether it even got registered properly with the FAA records. And printed timetables went to press a long time before publication. So who knows.

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 14, 2020 at 6:38 am
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:15 am

Bonus Question : Just for fun. Which mainstream country had no jet-capable airport until one opened in 1966. They were served by several major intercontinental airlines, from various continents, who had to retain propeller aircraft jjust specifically to serve the country. Apart from one such carrier, who had a jet that could handle the old airport.

Which country ?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I remember International Jetair's Electra flights coming up in a question here a few years ago. However, a check of the 1975 schedules into Inuvik shows only PWA and Northward Airlines (DTO flights). Noteworthy is that PWA shows as operating a 72S into Inuvik which is interesting as I've not been able to find any evidence they operated the -200. Perhaps they leased one for a short spell. Most of the standard fleet roster sites show only the 737 and 767.
Looks like International Jetair may have ceased operating scheduled Electra service into Inuvik at some point in 1974. A 1973 schedule lists round trip Electra flights operated Whitehorse (YXY) - Inuvik (YEV) - Fort Nelson (YVE) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays as well as round trip Whitehorse - Inuvik service on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I also seem to recall their Electra may have initially been operated by Western, was then converted to a combi configuration later on, was acquired by International Jetair and may still be currently in operation with Buffalo Airways based at Yellowknife.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...x73/jx73-2.jpg

http://www.timetableimages.com/i-gj/jx7405a.jpg

BTW, I also remember seeing Pacific Western schedules in a 1975 OAG where the equipment was listed as 72S with service into Vancouver, Kelowna, Kamloops, Calgary, Edmonton (International), Hay River, Norman Wells, Inuvik and Yellowknife. But besides those schedule listings, I've also never found any evidence to confirm that PW actually operated the B727-200. Perhaps they leased one from Kelowna Flightcraft for a short time? Or perhaps the 72S equipment listing in the OAG was a simple error and the aircraft type was actually a B727-100 (and thanks to WHBM for the great photo)....

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 14, 2020 at 11:06 am Reason: added 1973 International Jetair scheds
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
Looks like International Jetair may have ceased operating scheduled Electra service into Inuvik at some point in 1974. A 1973 schedule lists round trip Electra flights operated Whitehorse (YXY) - Inuvik (YEV) - Fort Nelson (YVE) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays as well as round trip Whitehorse - Inuvik service on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I also seem to recall their Electra may have initially been operated by Western, was then converted to a combi configuration later on, was acquired by International Jetair and may still be currently in operation with Buffalo Airways based at Yellowknife.

BTW, I also remember seeing Pacific Western schedules in a 1975 OAG where the equipment was listed as 72S with service into Vancouver, Kelowna, Kamloops, Calgary, Edmonton (International), Hay River, Norman Wells, Inuvik and Yellowknife. But besides those schedule listings, I've also never found any evidence to confirm that PW actually operated the B727-200. Perhaps they leased one from Kelowna Flightcraft for a short time? Or perhaps the 72S equipment listing in the OAG was a simple error and the aircraft type was actually a B727-100 (and thanks to WHBM for the great photo)....
I don't think Kelowna got any 727s until the 1990s, when they were cheap on the market. Before that they were mainly a Convair 580 operator.

International Jet Air seems to have had plenty of Electras, I can count 8, although not all at the same time, and they seemed to run them until the end of 1976. Some from Western, others from Northwest. Flights to the far north are notably dependent on various mining and mineral projects, apart from the local population, and vary from one year to the next, some schedules and some charters, as mines etc come and go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.