Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
75. (1982) The Denver to Las Vegas market is served by five airlines offering nonstop flights. Only two of the airlines offer First Class service while the other three operate all-economy class configured jets. Can you identify each of the five airlines while differentiating those that offer First Class versus all-economy class cabins?
I will tap in and say Delta before they merged with Western
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
75. (1982) The Denver to Las Vegas market is served by five airlines offering nonstop flights. Only two of the airlines offer First Class service while the other three operate all-economy class configured jets. Can you identify each of the five airlines while differentiating those that offer First Class versus all-economy class cabins?

I will tap in and say Delta before they merged with Western

Your tap in is on the money, TB99 ^ Here's the final breakdown...

First Class:
Continental Correct!
Delta Correct!

All Economy:
Frontier Correct!
Republic Correct!
United Correct!
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
re 75-
just for grins, how much of an all-Y operation did UA actually have in 1982?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
77. (1988) This airline operated just two scheduled flights – one in each direction four days a week between just one city pair. The aircraft in question was narrow bodied and did not offer a First Class cabin. Can you identify the airline, aircraft and city pair?

Majestic Air, Boeing 727-100, MIA JFK
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
re 75- Just for grins, how much of an all-Y operation did UA actually have in 1982?
United operated a good number of flights up and down the West Coast (including service to Las Vegas) with all Y class 727-200s and 737-200s.

On the DEN-LAS market, United offered three daily flights - 1 D8S and 2 72S. I have flown aboard all-Y class DC-8-62s with United, but never aboard an all Y DC-8-61. Anybody know if the -61/71 was ever operated in an all-Y configuration?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
77. (1988) This airline operated just two scheduled flights – one in each direction four days a week between just one city pair. The aircraft in question was narrow bodied and did not offer a First Class cabin. Can you identify the airline, aircraft and city pair?

Majestic Air, Boeing 727-100, MIA JFK

I think Majestic did charter work for the cruise lines. If you can support any evidence of scheduled service, I'd love to see it.

The airline we're looking for eventually operated widebody equipment (2 different widebodies) and a variety of Boeing jetliners...
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Only three left. Knock 'em off, folks! jlemon's got a new batch ready for takeoff!

72. (1988) Eastern Airlines used to offer nonstop service between New Orleans and Mexico City. Sadly, that service is no more. These days, your only options are a connection in either Houston or Dallas OR a single direct two stop flight departing New Orleans each afternoon. You’ll book the direct flight, please. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
HINT: Think meatballs

HINT: One of the cities was in Florida. Flight time was about 3 hours... The airline we're looking for eventually operated widebody equipment (2 different widebodies) and a variety of Boeing jetliners...

78. (1995) You’re flying from Ft. Lauderdale to Freeport, Bahamas. Most of the time you’re used to smaller jets or worse – props – on the short 30 minute flight. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that one airline actually operates a wide body aircraft on this route. Please identify the aircraft and the airline serving this route.
It's a central European airline that got its start as a charter airline. The flight operated just once weekly...
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
78. (1995) You’re flying from Ft. Lauderdale to Freeport, Bahamas. Most of the time you’re used to smaller jets or worse – props – on the short 30 minute flight. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that one airline actually operates a wide body aircraft on this route. Please identify the aircraft and the airline serving this route.
It's a central European airline that got its start as a charter airline. The flight operated just once weekly...
With that clue, LTU with a . L-1011?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
72. (1988)Eastern Airlines used to offer nonstop service between New Orleans and Mexico City. Sadly, that service is no more. These days, your only options are a connection in either Houston or Dallas OR a single direct two stop flight departing New Orleans each afternoon. You’ll book the direct flight, please. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
72- the hint leads me to remember the Continental Airlines logo ... how about a 737-300 via Baton Rouge (BTR) and Houston (IAH)
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

With that clue, LTU with an L-1011?

An excellent guess, YVR. Indeed, LTU was the answer to an earlier question regarding MIA-ACA service. In this case however, the airline is not from Germany and the aircraft was not built in Southern California...

Please, guess again!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
72. (1988)Eastern Airlines used to offer nonstop service between New Orleans and Mexico City. Sadly, that service is no more. These days, your only options are a connection in either Houston or Dallas OR a single direct two stop flight departing New Orleans each afternoon. You’ll book the direct flight, please. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

The hint leads me to remember the Continental Airlines logo ... how about a 737-300 via Baton Rouge (BTR) and Houston (IAH)

You got the meatball part down, and of course it goes without saying that Houston would then be part off the answer on an MSY-MEX 2 stop itinerary. Baton Rouge however was not. Think of the next logical stop after Houston...
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

72- I sat and thought about it for awhile
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
United operated a good number of flights up and down the West Coast (including service to Las Vegas) with all Y class 727-200s and 737-200s.

On the DEN-LAS market, United offered three daily flights - 1 D8S and 2 72S. I have flown aboard all-Y class DC-8-62s with United, but never aboard an all Y DC-8-61. Anybody know if the -61/71 was ever operated in an all-Y configuration?
I do not recall United ever operating all-Y configured Super DC8 series 61 or 71 aircraft....however, that is not to say they never did. I just do not remember seeing this config with these specific aircraft types in the UA fleet.

I do recall seeing all-coach configured B727-100 equipment operated by United between northern and southern California. UA listed such flights as "Jet Commuter" service back in 1966 and these flights offered all-K class. I also believe this was an effort by United to compete with PSA at the time.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

72. (1988) Eastern Airlines used to offer nonstop service between New Orleans and Mexico City. Sadly, that service is no more. These days, your only options are a connection in either Houston or Dallas OR a single direct two stop flight departing New Orleans each afternoon. You’ll book the direct flight, please. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
So we know this was Continental and the first stop was IAH.....and I want to say the second stop was San Antonio.

However, I cannot remember if CO ever flew SAT-MEX nonstop. So let's go with McAllen (MFE) as the second stop.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
So we know this was Continental and the first stop was IAH.....and I want to say the second stop was San Antonio. ...
as did I, after following Seat 2A's direction to think about it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.